Old school B series rebuild - FULL story

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
white rocket

Re: Old school B series rebuild - FULL story

Post by white rocket » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:17 pm

BabyNSX wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:31 am I just did a quick look into the Kinsler ITB setup and that looks very sexy. Do you mind sharing with me exactly what configuration you were thinking of going with? I may decide to go this route ;-)
Dave7CDMTYPER wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:26 pmWhat makes you choose Kinsler over something like Toda ITB's?
I didn't get too far into my research before I sold the car so I didn't really have anything in particular in mind. I probably would have went bigger before smaller in terms of sizing and just played around with trumpet lengths until we found something that worked.

I like the Toda set-up, along with all things Toda, but probably would have wanted to match in up with all Toda parts. Since I didn't have those parts and Kinsler was coming up in conversations at the time (2012-2016 ish) that's what led me to entertain the brand.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

BabyNSX

Post by BabyNSX » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:12 pm

white rocket wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:17 pm
BabyNSX wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:31 am I just did a quick look into the Kinsler ITB setup and that looks very sexy. Do you mind sharing with me exactly what configuration you were thinking of going with? I may decide to go this route ;-)
Dave7CDMTYPER wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:26 pmWhat makes you choose Kinsler over something like Toda ITB's?
I didn't get too far into my research before I sold the car so I didn't really have anything in particular in mind. I probably would have went bigger before smaller in terms of sizing and just played around with trumpet lengths until we found something that worked.

I like the Toda set-up, along with all things Toda, but probably would have wanted to match in up with all Toda parts. Since I didn't have those parts and Kinsler was coming up in conversations at the time (2012-2016 ish) that's what led me to entertain the brand.
Understood... I'll start my own investigation and see if it makes sense for me to consider these. They'll likely run me $3,000+ so I don't want to just throw them on for a couple extra ponies. Still the idea is very exciting :)

I've got some brake mods that I want to make along with a quieter exhaust, and freshen up the bumper.

At least with the engine all fresh and the car still looking reasonably good I feel like its 1998 all over again :P

white rocket

Post by white rocket » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:42 am

BabyNSX wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:12 pmUnderstood... I'll start my own investigation and see if it makes sense for me to consider these. They'll likely run me $3,000+ so I don't want to just throw them on for a couple extra ponies. Still the idea is very exciting :)

I've got some brake mods that I want to make along with a quieter exhaust, and freshen up the bumper.

At least with the engine all fresh and the car still looking reasonably good I feel like its 1998 all over again :P
Unfortunately that may be the case. I wanted more mid-range power and faster throttle response which led me to looking at ITB's. I didn't see anything that would have led me to believe I was going to be gaining anything up top really. I paused for that reason and continued researching and just entertaining the idea for a year or so. It's a lot of money for a change that may not necessarily be the improvement you are looking for. When you are at the top end of an all-motor build the bang for buck is long gone. 1-3hp gain could be $2,000. They do look beautiful though, and the sound................ugh..........boner inducing. Ok, this got weird.

Look at the Hytech exhaust set-up. I loved my catback although it was a tad heavy. Friends said they heard my Ti retainers long before they heard my exhaust note when I was pulling up. It sounds stock at idle and has a nice sporty note when at WOT in VTEC. No drone at all.

I'd take yours to the limit at some lapping days and see how it feels. Notice where it may need improvement. You should have a few seasons of "fun" getting used to the new power and how it is delivered. You may discover that the motor build was exactly what you wanted with no need for a change.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

3pedalJohn

Post by 3pedalJohn » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:03 am

BabyNSX wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:31 am Not sure if you've played around much with Pro1/2/3 cams before but there isn't much wiggle room between the various mechanical parts once you've set the timing marks where Skunk2 recommends. Maybe I could go 1-2 degrees one way or the other, but things start getting way to close for comfort rather quickly with these lump sticks. Now imagine all stuff moving within 1mm of each other at 9000+ RPM...
I do not have any experience with the Skunk2 Pro series cams. I was considered getting their tuner series cams for my build. However talking to King Motorsports regarding cam choices they recommended sticking to 00-01 ITR/CTR cams. I didn't have enough compression to make it worth my while at 10.5:1, even with 84mm bores.

Also when I initially purchased my Hytech Header and Exhaust. It was recommended to run cams with more intake duration over exhaust duration based based on testing. He said some aftermarket cams had more exhaust duration than intake which dropped torque and hurt acceleration. It was their recommendation to tune using cam gears. The exhaust performs great even with a catalytic converter and is very quiet.

I understand things are happening pretty quickly and I left all the appropriate clearances to keep any of the pieces from getting friendly with each other :lol:
96 Acura Integra GS-R TOY 04 Acura TL 6MT DD 88 Astro Van LT Tow