My 2000 Integra LS build thread

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
Outrun

Re: My 2000 Integra LS build thread

Post by Outrun » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:29 am

I have SPC rear camber kits and I believe the adjustment range is -2 to +5 degrees.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:30 pm

DC231 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:30 am You can check consumption from that valve cover to intake vent by adding an additional homemade catch can setup right to it. I did that by using a 16oz aluminum beer bottle no joke! I put vacuum line coming from the valve cover to about halfway up the bottle and sealed it with hondabond and made sure that the vacuum line was pointed downwards and then I stuck the intake side to the neck of the bottle on the top side and sealed it closed so that way any vapor that came through would collect the fluid in the bottom of the can. I know that sounds kind of ghetto but it definitely works and you would most certainly be able to tell if you are losing oil that way because anything in the beer can would have been sucked right into your intake and blown out the exhaust.
I'll see if I can try that out, I began taking things apart to do the leak down test just to do a quick run through of things for tomorrow.

For the valve cover to intake vent, there is a thin film of oil on the intake arm, but none on throttle body, I would have thought there would be more if I was consuming oil through that part? Does that sound normal if it is just a thin film on just the arm?

Also removed my spark plugs, I'll get a picture of each cylinder tomorrow. One thing that I noticed is oil on cylinder 2 and 3 spark plugs, on the part where the plug wires go to. Looks like my tube seals are leaking and may have seeped into the spark plug threads (I hope...).

Will hope to report more tomorrow. I swear this car is making me learn things I never would have done before and stuff I am almost afraid to try and touch on my GTI.
Outrun wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:29 am I have SPC rear camber kits and I believe the adjustment range is -2 to +5 degrees.
I was able to install them this past week, it does look at the smallest setting, it added additional camber in the rear that allowed me to not rub in the rear, now to see how it handles quick transitions and different elevations under aggressive driving.
-Andrew Wong

aw614

Post by aw614 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:51 pm

Performed leakdown test, Pics below:
Spark plugs in the following order 4-3-2-1

Leakdown of cylinder 1:
2:
3:
4:

But if I was doing it correctly like how the several youtube videos showed, I used 100 psi of air and those were the results I got. I was not getting any hissing noises from the oil dipstick or the oil cap. But I was getting hissing from the exhaust and intake vacuum port and throttle body plate when I opened it.

Could the head cause that much oil consumption? Valve seating, guides and seals?
-Andrew Wong

DC231

Post by DC231 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:53 pm

Most definitely!

Sounds like you're seals, guides, or valve job is the culprit.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:15 pm

Alright, so I guess I am going to prepare this spare GSR head I have. I'm going to see if I can take it to the machine shop to have it inspected first before I go ahead and buy the parts. Gotta figure out when I can go, with COVID 19 going around, I'll be working from home, and the machine shop I use is located close to work, if I was still in the office, its a quick 5 minute drive vs 30-40 minutes in Tampa traffic.

With the spare parts I have accumulated, it looks like I should have a decent head. This is what I have right now:
-00-01 ITR cams with ITR valve springs (Want to get new retainers and keepers as a precaution)
-ITR intake and exhaust valves
-Spoon Gen 1 Cam gears
-Gen 1 Skunk2/Blox GSR Intake manifold with ITR throttle body (Might be a downgrade, but I rather not have the "skunk2" logo :lol: and a stock looking engine bay)
-Transfer over my fuel rail, RDX injectors, and various odds and ends.

This is what I am thinking of purchasing
-OEM Retainers and keepers
-OEM valve guides
-OEM valve stem seals
-Science of Speed LMAs.

Is there any benefit of getting RSX Type S Retainers over B`18c ones? I need to compare the prices or see what the machine shop says first I guess.
-Andrew Wong

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:50 pm

You might want to consider a valve job, I highly recommend PortFlow he did excellent work on my head and pricing is very reasonable, especially if you have all your valve train already.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:10 am

I think I read my gauge wrong, going to redo the test to see what the deal is.

I was at TDC going by putting a long extension, but after reviewing other videos and pictures, my values seem really low. I still had exhaust and intake air coming out, but is it normal to hear air from where the leak down hose is connected to the spark plug well? I only hand tightened the leak down hose and I didn't reset it everytime I ran it to 100 psi.

Still I was't getting air from the crankcase breaker or the oil cap or dipstick
-Andrew Wong

DC231

Post by DC231 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:42 am

You should def reset the gauge each time. Also be sure that when you pressurize the cylinder that it's not turning over the engine and taking it off TDC.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Something is up with the tester and the values I am getting on the second gauge,, could be harbor freight, but it was their 70 dollar leak down tester...My cylinder isn't dropping from TDC as it seems to stay when I put my screw/extensions through the spark plug well.

As a test, the first gauge I would put 80 psi and it would drop to 70 psi ish, so I am getting 70/80 psi would be my leak down, when I remove the fitting, it goes back to 80 psi. The second gauge would still show a different result of 15 psi or 40 psi. 60 psi seems like way too much. I am curious to try this on a known low leakdown motor or another air compressor since I have a small 3 gallon 150psi unit.

Still getting the intake and exhaust noises.
-Andrew Wong

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:49 pm

Totally outside my experience but if you're hearing noise in the intake doesn't that seem to indicate valves aren't fully sealed?

If you pull the VC can you confirm there's a gap between the cam and the rocker (i.e. you can get a feeler gauge through) before you test the cylinder? This should help confirm if there's any pressure on the valve holding it open a little despite crankshaft alignment to TDC. Might even be worth backing off the lash adjustments to make sure there's no contact at all. Pulling the VC might also make it easier to access cylinders and locate any leaks.

https://dannysengineportal.com/cylinder ... lling-you/