Project G.eezS.R. Build thread

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
DC4MC

Re: Project G.eezS.R. Build thread

Post by DC4MC » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:12 pm

This thing really turned out awesome!

Nick MC

Post by Nick MC » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:20 am

We did a hard reset for 2021. Found a new job with Hershey maintenance in the factory. My wife started a new job at a local school and my daughter started at the same school. We had to make a bunch of changes to make things work out. Being the new guy I’ve been working 7 days a week with some 12hr shifts but it’s paying the bills and supporting the family. Not much to update as it’s been too cold to get out in the garage. I been putting the audio back together. I found a 1998 Acura EL head unit to keep it all amber. It’s I identical to the ITR radio. One thing someone brought up in another post was the antenna will go down with the CD player on. I couldn’t remember if this was the same on my 2001 or not but it was nice to read that and not think I was going senile.Image
Long story short when I received the radio I found the serial number had been damaged so I had to go onto the Honda radio code website and brute force search the right code. Only the last 3 were unreadable and I was able to narrow it down to 200 units with a google search of similar serial# part# and production dates. It was tedious but in the end it paid off. Unfortunately my radio was within the last 30 I searched.Image
I was able to order new Oem speakers from Honda. They were about $13 each nothing special.

There are slight variations amongst the antennas between years, market, and body style. I haven’t grasped the why and when but if you are repairing the antenna they made an update to the hold down nut and black collar. The four spoke version is the new style and requires a different collar. From the repair manual it seems as though this just affects how it’s sealed from water. I wasn’t to concerned so I just used the new collar anyway, it still secured the antenna so I’ll see what happens when I wash it. The black collar is discontinued so my options are limited. Image
There is a different flange between db8 and dc2. One is identified as st7(dc2) the other st8(db8) I was able to swap these between masts. Pay attention to that if you get one used. Most imports I use regularly don’t differentiate on their websites.Image
The reason I swapped antennas was because I thought the motor was bad. Between the original being dead from water and the donors being noisy I picked up a third from hmotorsonline. Now it worked perfectly fine but being that I bought a new mast I wanted to use that and not waste it. Big mistake. Normally this is a simple job. Take off the nut. Radio on. Pull mast. Set new mast in. Radio off. New nut back on. As you can see the antenna got stuck from corrosion. On top of that it seems the JDM mast is taller than usdm. What that caused for me was the motor would overrun when the antenna was fully up or down causing the ratcheting noise. I did have one good JDM mast left and was able to get it back together and working right.
01-1058: Sold
'00 EBP Civic Si: Sold
'09 Civic LX-S Wife wagon
'13 Silverado Tow Vehicle

aw614

Post by aw614 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:06 pm

Good info on the antennas especially on the collars. I don't recall what my original antennacame with, but the early 90s accord manual antenna replacement I am using came with the collar on the left. I just recall the packaging looked like it came from the warehouse sitting for ages with the old honda blue parts instead of the red. Need to dig out the old antenna to check it, but mine did have a broken plastic mast.

The info on the Canadian EL was posted on the older forums and was one of the reasons why when someone listed them on there years ago I had to get one. But I got annoyed at having a stock non Type R integra with an orange backlit radio so I ended up selling it a few years later on here lol.
-Andrew Wong

Nick MC

Post by Nick MC » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:51 pm

First weekend off in over a month so I was able to get out in the garage again. I wanted to wait at least 90 days or so just to make sure the paint cured before I put these on. Unfortunately, I ended up with the wrong emblem for the driver side and had to order another one. I used the type 4 stickers for the darker color contrast. Type 3 being for PY / CW and type 4 for the black cars. Went I was looking these up I notice quite a few PY/CW cars with the wrong stickers but honestly the can pull off using the wrong one and not be noticed. Using the type 3 sticker on the SSBP color it was difficult to see at a distance. When ordering these the part numbers are the same except the last letter. “ZA” for type 3 and “Z
B”for type 4, or you can say “B” is for black cars if you want an easy way to remember.
IMG_2305.jpg
IMG_2305.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 1583 times
IMG_2305.jpg
IMG_2305.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 1583 times
Attachments
IMG_2306.jpg
IMG_2306.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 1583 times
IMG_2307.jpg
IMG_2307.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 1583 times
IMG_2302.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 1583 times

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:21 pm

Nick MC wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:20 am We did a hard reset for 2021. Found a new job with Hershey maintenance in the factory. My wife started a new job at a local school and my daughter started at the same school. We had to make a bunch of changes to make things work out. Being the new guy I’ve been working 7 days a week with some 12hr shifts but it’s paying the bills and supporting the family. Not much to update as it’s been too cold to get out in the garage. I been putting the audio back together. I found a 1998 Acura EL head unit to keep it all amber. It’s I identical to the ITR radio. One thing someone brought up in another post was the antenna will go down with the CD player on. I couldn’t remember if this was the same on my 2001 or not but it was nice to read that and not think I was going senile.Image
Long story short when I received the radio I found the serial number had been damaged so I had to go onto the Honda radio code website and brute force search the right code. Only the last 3 were unreadable and I was able to narrow it down to 200 units with a google search of similar serial# part# and production dates. It was tedious but in the end it paid off. Unfortunately my radio was within the last 30 I searched.Image
I was able to order new Oem speakers from Honda. They were about $13 each nothing special.

There are slight variations amongst the antennas between years, market, and body style. I haven’t grasped the why and when but if you are repairing the antenna they made an update to the hold down nut and black collar. The four spoke version is the new style and requires a different collar. From the repair manual it seems as though this just affects how it’s sealed from water. I wasn’t to concerned so I just used the new collar anyway, it still secured the antenna so I’ll see what happens when I wash it. The black collar is discontinued so my options are limited. Image
There is a different flange between db8 and dc2. One is identified as st7(dc2) the other st8(db8) I was able to swap these between masts. Pay attention to that if you get one used. Most imports I use regularly don’t differentiate on their websites.Image
The reason I swapped antennas was because I thought the motor was bad. Between the original being dead from water and the donors being noisy I picked up a third from hmotorsonline. Now it worked perfectly fine but being that I bought a new mast I wanted to use that and not waste it. Big mistake. Normally this is a simple job. Take off the nut. Radio on. Pull mast. Set new mast in. Radio off. New nut back on. As you can see the antenna got stuck from corrosion. On top of that it seems the JDM mast is taller than usdm. What that caused for me was the motor would overrun when the antenna was fully up or down causing the ratcheting noise. I did have one good JDM mast left and was able to get it back together and working right.
I noticed that the collar was different on one that I received years ago on a unit I received from hmo. I couldn’t clear the garage door with the antenna up . It also didn’t quite bolt up the quarter panel correctly. When it did it was applying stress on the quarter panel. I received another that fit and wasn’t as tall . I installed the new mast and the collar wouldn’t work because of the pictures that you are showing between the big hole . Interesting that you pointed that out. I could thread the used antenna nut easily and aftermarket. I wasn’t able with the correct 98 spec nut without way to much effort.

Nick MC

Post by Nick MC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:28 pm

A little post build update. I’ve been enjoying the car as it is, I’m trying to get the konis dialed in for street use on PA roads. I may convert it to obd2 specs simply for economy but I’m enjoying the car with the spoon ecu. It really takes advantage of how the cars setup. I met my goals with this project, document the differences between gsr/itr(and usdm / JDM)chassis. Complete a build start to finish and keep an integra on the road for future generations to see.
A264D6B7-F2FE-42F5-A4F7-B5AA7B855C02.jpeg
A264D6B7-F2FE-42F5-A4F7-B5AA7B855C02.jpeg (106.67 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
84016555-4BF8-4678-8B45-61F68322918A.jpeg
84016555-4BF8-4678-8B45-61F68322918A.jpeg (157.32 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
A0F582BA-E083-4578-A10E-33C99AEBE795.jpeg
A0F582BA-E083-4578-A10E-33C99AEBE795.jpeg (53.37 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

Dc2-ProductionS
Badge Number: 97-00012

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Wed May 04, 2022 12:46 pm

caR looks amazing Nick! Please share some more shots. Dying to see a full side shot of SSBP with no moldings and some R badges! There's got to be more!

8-) 8-)
- 01-0590 ITR PY - Garage Queen
- 01-1058 ITR NHBP - Gone
- 97-0012 ITR CW - Princess in progress
- 98-1046 ITR RealTime Replica - #HomageR

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Wed May 04, 2022 2:26 pm

That car turned out so awesome. Looks absolutely beautiful. You sir are very talented.

Nick MC

Post by Nick MC » Wed May 04, 2022 6:13 pm

Stin1 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:26 pm That car turned out so awesome. Looks absolutely beautiful. You sir are very talented.
Thank you Sir!
Dc2-ProductionS wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:46 pm caR looks amazing Nick! Please share some more shots. Dying to see a full side shot of SSBP with no moldings and some R badges! There's got to be more!

8-) 8-)
Thanks Dan, I’m actually going up to the in-laws tomorrow to do a shoot with his ‘66 Chevelle. I’ll get some side shots.👍

Nick MC

Post by Nick MC » Wed May 11, 2022 9:34 pm

Profile from the shoot last week.
44ABBA73-BCA0-4EC5-AB58-769E1031F606.jpeg
44ABBA73-BCA0-4EC5-AB58-769E1031F606.jpeg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 1329 times