PeteTheCarFreak's Fake JDM ITR Build Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
DC2Iggy

Re: PeteTheCarFreak's Fake JDM ITR Build Thread

Post by DC2Iggy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:53 pm

Can’t seem to find the post now. Looks like there isn’t a separate part number for the ignitor either so you would have to buy the compete assembly (about $950usd plus shipping). I’d keep your eyes peeled for someone selling a used wheel in bad condition with an intact ignitor and scoop that. The JDM DC2, EK9, and CL1 should all have the same steering wheel (different hubs).

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:49 pm

DC2Iggy wrote:Can’t seem to find the post now. Looks like there isn’t a separate part number for the ignitor either so you would have to buy the compete assembly (about $950usd plus shipping). I’d keep your eyes peeled for someone selling a used wheel in bad condition with an intact ignitor and scoop that. The JDM DC2, EK9, and CL1 should all have the same steering wheel (different hubs).
I'll probably have to end up doing that down the road sometime, thanks for looking into it!

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Mon May 11, 2020 7:44 pm

UPDATE

Hey guys, I definitely need to update this build thread! I didn't do much work to the car for about a month and have just been enjoying it.. here's some pics!

My friends and I have really gotten into touge runs during the night Image *Eurobeat intensifies*

On one of my drives I was coming out of a corner in the top of 4th and my right side windshield molding flew off!! It scratched my mirror and door unfortunately. I wasn't too upset though because the moldings will be getting replaced this year, I was just worried about the paint!!

Luckily Indepth Detailing was able to take care of it and fixed the scratches.

The car developed a leak from the transmission casing, thinking of having the trans rebuilt with carbon synchros while this is being fixed sometime this year.

Got some extra rubber pieces that my hood was missing.

I had Rodriguez Auto Body start on painting my rear bumper and grill. The rear bumper was damaged and the entire grill was white rather than the trim being bare plastic like it should be.

While that was being done I decided to make this muffler look half decent, here's what it looked like before.

I sanded it down, polished the tip and painted the canister a flat black just like the factory muffler!

I noticed the axleback leaking where it bolts up so I tightened it a bit more, is this normal?

With my JDM rear bumper cover getting repaired and resprayed, I had to find something out to mount my plate so I decided to remove the USDM rear bumper bar and install the JDM license plate bracket. They are only $33 IIRC from Honda!

I dropped off the JDM rear license plate bracket at Rodriguez Auto Body to get sprayed with the grill and bumper cover.

While I was waiting on that, I decided that I wanted to replace my fuel door cable and remove the remaining sound deadening that the Type R is not supposed to have. This will also give me a good opportunity to inspect the car and make sure there are no problems... which I know there will be lol.

Looks as if the driver's floor is still wet from the car leaking. It's been out of the rain for at least a month but I wash the car once a week and didn't realize how much water was still coming in.

This was in the driver's foot well.

Found some mystery wires and a unwrapped wiring harness.

More wiring for an auto system the car used to have..

Getting ready to redo this interior.

I removed the ECU because I didn't want it getting damaged while I work on the floors, looked up the link on it and it's some Japanese site so I'm thinking while the swap was in Japan it was probably tuned.

Here's the inside of it, I don't know much about what to look for but I thought I'd take a peek lol.

Put multiple layers of masking tape on the seam sealer and wiring. While I won't be spraying them directly I just want to protect things as best as possible.

Instead of heating it up or using dry ice I used keyboard cleaner.. upside down. It freezes it and worked pretty well. I just had to use quite a few cans so I bought some 4 packs at Walmart for like $13 a pack.

Once it freezes you want to use a hammer to crack the sound deadening, but don't be using so much force that you damage/dent the floor. I used a plastic scraper and gloves to help me lift the frozen sound deadening. The only part I couldn't use this method on was the sound deadening on the exhaust tunnel, had to use heat.

I took a break from the sound deadening to pull the aftermarket radio out, including all the sub wiring and Bluetooth stuff. I'm just more of a factory radio kinda guy.

While pulling the sound deadening I popped this cover off and found a quarter! Lol, it must have been left in there from the RHD conversion or something.

Got an update from the painter!

I wanted to take a break from the sound deadening again so I worked on making the body panels fit better up front and install the rear bumper. Here's what it looked like on the passenger side.

It's not perfect but definitely much better.

The grill and headlights previously didn't fit very well either, I fixed all this using washers and slightly longer bolts on the support beam from the front bumper cover and grill.
Here's the headlight gaps before fixing the bumper fitment..

Here's after! Plus I got new OEM clips for the bumper cover now that it lines up with the holds in the support beam.

They aren't perfect but it's definitely better! Also got new OEM hardware and clips for the grill. It was previously held in with the wrong screw, a zip tie and no clips.

Unfortunately one of the holes is stripped out so I had to put a different screw in one side, I'll go back and correct this later.

New piece to hold the hood latch! The old one was missing.

I got my rear bumper support beam powdercoated semigloss black and picked it up. Looks great now, this is how it looked before.

Installed it with new OEM clips, it previously only had one clip out of nine! ImageImage

I started on drilling the holes for the JDM rear plate bracket, I got pics from some a JDM ITR owner on where the holes go. It seems that they line right up with the body lines you can see.

This ended up being the final size I used.

I wanted to protect it and make it look better so I painted the rear with a can of CW after sanding and cleaning the area of course.

It turned out perfect, can't even tell that spot was painted separately.

I also dabbed some paint around the back side just to make sure I was good.

While I wait a day for the paint to dry, I replaced this horrible looking cabin air pressure reliever that was falling apart with a cleaned up one.

The next day I bolted on the JDM rear plate bracket using OEM nuts for it and some new bolts I bought.

New cushions for the rear bumper support beam.

Turned out perfect. I also recently got new all white Idaho plates and redrilled them to fit since it's different on the Japanese plates. Bumper fits super well now.. also the trim being painted black the way it's supposed to be makes me happy.

My brother and I finished off the sound deadening and we finished it off with bug and tar remover. After that I painted some spots that looked like they could rust after prepping the surfaces. I forgot to get a picture of the floors completed though.

It all worked great, currently I have no carpet so I just now took a pic of the driver's floor board.

You might be wondering why you see a dead pedal and Recaros without the carpet.. I'll be explaining that in a bit.
Since I had to replace the fuel door cable, I decided to pull the quarter panel plastics off both sides to inspect and clean some more. I found that they welded the trim holes closed on the quarter panels and then did not protect them. I'm surprised they look this good after the car being built such a long time ago.

I used that same black paint and cup from before. The welded holes closest to the door were a paint but thankfully with the great cameras our phones have I was able to get it done.

This cable was modified to work with RHD, didn't work out too well and you would have to pull the carpet to open the fuel door.

While I was about to install the new fuel door cable I remembered I was missing the cord for the antenna so I went and got one.

Sprayed the inside of the other quarter panel too. It kinda looks iffy but there was other rust spots under the main areas from welding.

Here's the hard one to get to...

My quarter window plastics were missing these.

While installing the new cable I noticed a manufacturing defect in the rubber seal on the new one so I swapped it out from the old one. Notice the lip on the defected one you can see installed on the cable.

There's a fair amount of slack in the fuel door cable, but if works well and I know it came out of a DC2 not a DB8 so I hid the slack under the carpet on the passenger side.

Got the new seat belt buckles ready (my old one had cut wiring) and retaped the wiring cover to the correct spot since it fell out from the old tape.

Now to the part as to why I have Recaros in the car.. it was Mother's Day weekend and my brother was in town so we wanted to drive the DC2 but, I wanted to find where the water leak was coming from so I put them in to take the car to the car wash and drive it the next day.
While installing the driver's Recaro, one of the floor nuts broke off unfortunately.. so I am going to have it welded ASAP.

Took the car through the wash and wow, I did not realize how bad the leak was. By the time the (touchless) wash was over. There was already water that had come from the corner of the firewall to the center of my floorboard. Plus... it's on the passenger side too. It's not as bad but it's there and definitely needs to be fixed soon. Like this week. Lol

On the upside, it was fun driving the car around gutted! I am definitely looking forward to reinstalling my interior though.

Last edited by PeteTheCarFreak on Mon May 11, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Post by JDMJNKY » Thu May 21, 2020 1:27 am

Twins, 4 yrs apart, no sh**! lol JK

all the petty details Pete, you're nailing them. Keep it up man.

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Thu May 21, 2020 1:37 am

JDMJNKY wrote:Twins, 4 yrs apart, no sh**! lol JK

all the petty details Pete, you're nailing them. Keep it up man.
Hahaha, thanks Joel!! I'm really proud of how this car is coming along. It was really a POS when I bought it! Lol. I need to update the thread, the interior is back in and looks fantastic with the new parts and deep cleaning Image

JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Post by JDMJNKY » Thu May 21, 2020 1:48 am

In the wrong hands anything can be a POS, glad you're spending the coin where it counts first. Can't wait to see it the interior updates.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:51 pm

I got to stop using the new posts button . I have been missing a lot. Great work !

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:52 pm

Stin1 wrote:I got to stop using the new posts button . I have been missing a lot. Great work !
Thanks! I know some of the updates are big and probably take a while to read but at least there's a lot to update on! Lol

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:08 pm

PeteTheCarFreak wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:52 pm
Stin1 wrote:I got to stop using the new posts button . I have been missing a lot. Great work !
Thanks! I know some of the updates are big and probably take a while to read but at least there's a lot to update on! Lol
I read them all . Totally interesting to me . I suppose I can compare it to dvr . I watched a few episodes at once. Now I got to check all the other threads I missed updates on . 8-)

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:17 am

UPDATE

After my brother left to go back home, I continued to get some work done on the Integra. The gutted interior was fun for a while but I was definitely ready to have it put back together lol...

Started off with getting a rivnut installed in place of where that nut broke off for the driver's seat.

Put some protection around it.

This bracket was in there backwards and had a ground bolted to it lol, took it out so I can replace it because it's bent too. I also put the ground in the correct spot in the dash.

This rubber quarter panel window trim was screwed up, mainly where the red circle is. I replaced it, turned out good.

Nice to have carpet back in the car, cleaned everything pretty thoroughly including my Honda Access pedals.

I tried installing these, the car was missing them but when I went to install I realized the car had the wrong bolts for the seat belts making these impossible to install!

So I went to the junk yard and pulled more parts off a 1998 or 1999 model there. Got the correct bolts for all 4 seat belts. Little side note, the front seat belt hardware is different from the hardware for the rear seat belts.

Got these pieces from that car too.

Installed!

Installed the correct seat belt bolts too!

There were a couple spots ripped on the carpet so I stitched it up.

I completely disassembled the center console and cleaned it all out. Also replaced the bulb for the ashtray Image

Replaced the E brake handle with one that doesn't even look used! I still need to buy the JDM E brake button from jp-carparts.

I've always loved looking at pics of ITRs with clean black carpet haha.

Wow almost no surface rust on the back of my new JDM ITR rear seat!

I painted the brackets on the bottom of the rear seat a few days before installing.

Man.. I've been wanting a Type R rear seat for a long time.

New JDM ITR spare tire cover installed Image This thing is almost useless it's great hahaha.

Ultra lightweight JDM ITR trunk carpet too.

Replaced the oversprayed wiring and redid the new wiring for the rear license plate lights.

These were missing.

ITR rear trunk panel installed and some taillight covers that were missing.

Gonna replace these as soon as the parts come in..

Had some fun with the friends at the downtown cruise Image

Us getting kicked out hahaha

Trying to fix a water leak, it was leaking on both the driver's side and passenger side. The passenger side was just the rubber grommet thing that lets the wiring go from the car to the door (fixed now) and the driver's side was was the seam sealer. Redid the seam sealer in the wiper cowl, tested it the next day, didn't work. We thought it was coming from that crack that the arrow but apparently not. I'm gonna have my buddy at Honda look at it.

There's a gap here for the 98-00 JDM bumper because mine is a 1994.

Got some bolts and rubber grommets to fix this.

Turned out good.

The car's rear view mirror had this weird stuff on the inside, also I think it was aftermarket because of the different stamp on the back. New one isn't perfect but it's much better and OEM.

Finally got my rear splash guards reinstalled, and with the correct OEM hardware this time.

Also got the correct OEM hardware for my steering column cover.

Fixed this fitment.

Had my friend Tim at Honda check out the leak further, he thinks the the leak was coming from around the backside of that wall there where the seam sealer is. So we bought some white seam sealer and put it in there.

I ended up testing it a few days later and it did fix a spot we think was leaking a bit but it's still leaking from another spot unfortunately.

My car had all OEM body parts on it except the wing, when this OEM ITR wing popped up locally in Championship White with OEM hardware I had to get it.

The studs were kinda rusty on the wing so I cleaned them up with a thread chaser. I also had a touch up bottle of CW I used on the wing.

My old wing had some rusty hardware holding it on, so when I took the wing off I cleaned things up.

Feels good to finally have a OEM wing!! The next day I had a Type R rear chassis brace installed with new OEM hardware Image It's been sitting under my bed for years waiting to get used... also it is the lightweight JDM variant to keep things correct.

Here's some full shots of my interior currently. I have not installed the pillar garnish kick panels on both sides because I want to wait until the leak is fixed.

For some reason I had new looking hardware laying around for the sun visors, I went ahead and took a look at mine and they were rusty! Image

Here's old vs new.

I also changed these out because I had some laying around that were in better condition.

I think the next things will be refinishing the rear chassis brace and installing new license plate light brackets and lenses! Image