PeteTheCarFreak's Fake JDM ITR Build Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
PeteTheCarFreak

Re: PeteTheCarFreak's Fake JDM ITR Build Thread

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:18 pm

UPDATE

So after posting about the new clutch master cylinder coming in from Japan I was comparing the part and saw I have a ripped CV boot that had sprayed grease everywhere.

The next day when I had it towed to Revtech Motorworks to get the CMC replaced they actually had a good CV axle for me which is great considering I have the 36mm JDM axles and I didn't have to find or order one. They got it fixed up and the new CMC feels really nice and smooth.
When I got the car back that night I decided to bring home my Comptech Icebox that I had sitting around in storage to get it cleaned up and ready to install.

Upon opening it I discovered it still had a good filter in it so I decided to get it installed!

Got it cleaned up.

Got the old airbox pulled off, it didn't have any of the tubing that goes into the bumper so it was cake.

Holy crap......

The car was missing this bracket, I had a Frost White one sitting around and found some cool looking OEM hardware to install it with Image Maybe I'll worry about getting that painted when I have some other paint work done to the caR.

Got it installed with an exception of the elbow on the end with the velocity stack. I'm missing the bracket to bolt it to the car and don't want to risk losing it Image

The intake tube has this hole here that I wanted to plug up.

Found this plug in my garage that fits perfectly, not sure where it came from but it works for now lol!

The car felt like it really had a good amount more power, I can't believe the condition of that air filter I pulled out of the car!! But I did buy it knowing that it was not taken very well care of.

Spent some more time enjoying the caR with my car friends.

I bought a EK9 SRS wheel locally and bought a ITR hub from Stin1 for it! Excellent seller.

This was pretty dirty with the incorrect hardware, steering wheel was definitely over tightened too.

Found out why my turn signals were not automatically cancelling.. for some reason the tabs were missing on both sides of this brass piece.

I got a replacement and cleaned it up after this pic before installing. The JDM is not any different than the US turn signal canceller. It's actually the same between all years of the 3rd gen Integra, EG Civic and Del Sol.
I pulled this one out of a '98 Integra GS coupe.

I also pulled the hardware out of that GS, it was completely stock and I don't think the steering wheel had ever been off of it.

Cleaned this up a little and installed the correct hardware.

The column cover had the incorrect hardware too.

I have to start a new post to continue posting pics, Tapatalk said I hit my limit hahaha.

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:31 pm

UPDATE PART 2

There I bought Tapatalk VIP lol, it's only $0.99/mo

That '98 GS didn't have the hardware for the steering column cover so I found these for now. A little beat up but it's better than before.

Got the steering column cover cleaned up, installed the wheel (steering wheel nut is 36 lb.ft and the torx bolts are 6.5 lb.ft) and I love the way it looks and feels!!
The only downside is this steering wheel does not actually have the airbag deployer or whatever it's called inside of it, so I disconnected the SRS light in the gauge cluster. Maybe one day I'll find one with an airbag, not sure.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:13 pm

Were you missing the lower bracket that mounts to the frame from Comptech/CT? I ran without it for 5 years or so without any issue, I should have asked CT for the bracket when I had bought the upper ones.
-Andrew Wong

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:45 am

aw614 wrote:Were you missing the lower bracket that mounts to the frame from Comptech/CT? I ran without it for 5 years or so without any issue, I should have asked CT for the bracket when I had bought the upper ones.
Yeah that's the one, did you daily the car? I'm surprised that yours didn't fall off! Haha

aw614

Post by aw614 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:20 am

PeteTheCarFreak wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:45 am
aw614 wrote:Were you missing the lower bracket that mounts to the frame from Comptech/CT? I ran without it for 5 years or so without any issue, I should have asked CT for the bracket when I had bought the upper ones.
Yeah that's the one, did you daily the car? I'm surprised that yours didn't fall off! Haha
I didn't daily the car, but I did autocross it on a monthlyl basis. It fell from the clamp multiple times, So my half-assesd solution at the time when I kept seeing the velocity stack in the fender liner was to use clear packaging tape + hose clamp and it held for over 5 years :lol:

Go figure, the Mugen intake recommends using tape in the same location too even with their bracket piece lol
-Andrew Wong

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:05 am

I recall reading on honda-tech that the JDM SRS inflator is the same as one from a CRV. I’ll try looking into it later tonight as I have a spare wheel without the inflator.

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:33 pm

aw614 wrote:I didn't daily the car, but I did autocross it on a monthlyl basis. It fell from the clamp multiple times, So my half-assesd solution at the time when I kept seeing the velocity stack in the fender liner was to use clear packaging tape + hose clamp and it held for over 5 years Image

Go figure, the Mugen intake recommends using tape in the same location too even with their bracket piece lol
Haha nice! Yeah I think I'm probably going to see about getting a replacement bracket rather than taping it.
DC2Iggy wrote:I recall reading on honda-tech that the JDM SRS inflator is the same as one from a CRV. I’ll try looking into it later tonight as I have a spare wheel without the inflator.
That would be awesome!!

aw614

Post by aw614 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:37 pm

PeteTheCarFreak wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:33 pm

Haha nice! Yeah I think I'm probably going to see about getting a replacement bracket rather than taping it.
I am curious if Heeltoe auto has the bracket since they bought the molds and rights to the icebox. I asked them over a year ago, but they did not begin their production of the icebox.
-Andrew Wong

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:42 am

aw614 wrote:I am curious if Heeltoe auto has the bracket since they bought the molds and rights to the icebox. I asked them over a year ago, but they did not begin their production of the icebox.
Yeah I should totally give them a call! I've been wanting to buy something from them since they supported Type-R Expo 18

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:29 pm

I purchased a Heeltoe Auto remold of the Comptech Icebox for my EG last summer. :thumbup:
PeteTheCarFreak wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:42 am Yeah I should totally give them a call! I've been wanting to buy something from them since they supported Type-R Expo 18
Marcus from Heeltoe attended Type R Expo West ('18) and they are considering sponsor future Type R Expo events. :thumbup:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171