PeteTheCarFreak's Fake JDM ITR Build Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
aw614

Re: PeteTheCarFreak's Fake JDM ITR Build Thread

Post by aw614 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:15 am

Nice update, I also had issues with leaking water due to seam seal cracks on my car. Mine was on the passenger side rear tail light area.

Also any tips on stitching up the carpet or guides you used? I have a few I really want to fix.
-Andrew Wong

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:27 am

aw614 wrote:Also any tips on stitching up the carpet or guides you used? I have a few I really want to fix.
Thanks! Yeah it is much much easier to do with the carpet loose, I feel like it would be way too hard to stitch it while installed. I did the "whip stitch" with just a needle and thick black thread.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:24 pm

Wow! Quite the extended set of updates, both interior nitty gritty and polishing up via finishing pieces. The exterior project results like the bumper and rear wing put a smile on my face. They must make you feel good when walking out to see the car. :beer:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:03 am

coolhandluke wrote:Wow! Quite the extended set of updates, both interior nitty gritty and polishing up via finishing pieces. The exterior project results like the bumper and rear wing put a smile on my face. They must make you feel good when walking out to see the car. Image
Thanks Ryan Image It really does make me happy with how it looks, before some paint work the rear bumper and grill were really driving me nuts!! Also.. in the next update you will be seeing another big exterior change Image
I think soon I really want to change the engine mounts soon, the amount of rattles my interior has drives me absolutely nuts and I know my car needs mounts which will help fix that problem. The thought of Mugen engine mounts passed though my head but I really just want to eliminate rattling and vibration so I think I'll be going with the soft OEM Type R mounts

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Man there is definitely some updating to do here, I have continued to do quite a bit with the car up until the past couple of weeks. The Integra is probably going to need the whole drive train pulled soon.. had some major failure.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:55 am

PeteTheCarFreak wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:31 pm Man there is definitely some updating to do here, I have continued to do quite a bit with the car up until the past couple of weeks. The Integra is probably going to need the whole drive train pulled soon.. had some major failure.
I was sad to hear. Once the transmission case is opened, post up pictures, and I will have a few community members chime in. Best of luck. :thumbup:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:20 pm

UPDATE

Long over due.. I've been pretty busy with my new career (I'm a real estate agent in Idaho).
I'm probably going to do two or three seperate updates to cover everything that has happened since the last update in June.

Well.. where to start. Um.. oh yeah!

After changing out the hardware for the sun visors I went ahead and changed out my rear license plate hardware. I wasn't really digging the zinc bolts so I switched to the most factory looking hardware I could find. I used a stock ITR in Japan for reference because to my understanding they aren't allowed to take off their rear plate without the DMV doing it. So it's probably the factory hardware.

Sanded down the clear that was running from the car's cheap paint job. I plan on having the car resprayed but this at least helps for now.

The plastic trim on my hatch wasn't on correctly.

Now it is.

Got my windows tinted and old tint removed. Turned out awesome, Garage Slick in Nampa did a really good job.

Got the trunk wall brace refinished, turned out great. The stock brace does have some flake/sparkle, but this is as close as I could get lol.

These plugs on the firewall looked like crap.

Replaced!

So another attempt to fix the water leak, we are replacing the grommet for the hood latch cable. Old one was leaking water when we tested it so hopefully this is it!! (It wasn't lol)

We also got most of the overspray off the cable.

Replaced the trim along the top/inside part of the hatch because the old one had overspray.

I'm getting the windshield replaced, so I Frankensteined some window trim to be complete.

Had Glass Doctor in Meridian take care of replacing the windshield, they showed me that the glass was actually not even attached in the bottom driver's side corner, which we thought might be causing the leak! There was also quite a bit of rust on the underside.

My buddy sent me this later that day while he was also there getting the same thing done, looks like the primer was drying outside.

While I'm waiting for the windshield to get done, I decided to clean up my new wheels Image I had also used to CW touch up paint to "fix" the curb rash spots.

Two of the tires are good and the correct size, other two had some camber wear but it'll be fine for the car show I was trying to get the car ready for.

My show plates showed up just in time!! Image

Windshield is done and looks great!

Also had my VIN put into the windshield before having it installed.

Next day the Type-R, Type-S & Si Club of Idaho showed up to my house and we had some food before the show. I installed my wheels and Japanese plates and off we went! It was a total blast.

Here's some pics from that day!

Jeff Woodyatt, owner of #00-0342 came up from Utah to also attend the show. His ITR was the first one I ever saw in person back when I was probably 16 or 17 years old at a show called Form Fest here in Idaho.
It was great to finally meet him and we took some pics after the show.

On the weekends lots of our local car community goes downtown to hangout so we ended up cruising down there too.

Well that's it for part 1 of this update! Lol

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:21 pm

Cool updates! Could you elaborate on the vin on the windshield please?

PeteTheCarFreak

Post by PeteTheCarFreak » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:45 pm

Stin1 wrote:Cool updates! Could you elaborate on the vin on the windshield please?
Thanks! So since my car is converted RHD I wanted to put the VIN in the windshield incase something happened. A JDM car (at least a older one like a DC2) doesn't have the VIN on the dash like a USDM car would.
Our windshields have a spot that is clear so you can see the VIN on the dash so I had a sticker made with the VIN backwards so the face of it was sticky. The windshield guy put the sticker on the inside of the windshield and paint black primer they use on it so it had a black background. I hope this makes sense.

Here's a pic of the clear spot I'm talking about from my old windshield.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:59 pm

Yeah, my brother bought a theft recovery gsr and the dash was stolen. When the car went in for the inspection the police removed the old vin. They advised him he would have problems anytime he was pulled over with the vin missing . This is the first place they look at when you are pulled over. Acura would not order another one.

My friend had a windshield installed in his Audi and the tech had the wrong windshield and tampered with it scratching it . Audi ordered him a decal to go over the damaged vin .