Timing Belt Service - Dealer or Independent Shop?

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
white rocket

Post by white rocket » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi all!!

It's time for a timing belt service for 00-#0768. I have a go-to shop for all things automotive and they have serviced the car since I bought it almost 3 years ago. I have no doubt that they can complete the task with identical, if not better, workmanship as a dealer but I'm wondering if having the paperwork from a certified dealer is worth considering them for the work.

The car has just a hair over 50,000 miles (80,xxx kms) in near stock form so I'd consider it more of a collector vehicle rather than a track beater or daily driver so certified paperwork has it's own intangible value IMO. Cost would be relatively the same and all OEM parts would be used so those wouldn't be driving factors either way. I'd like to think there are other reasons outside of just having the dealer records but I can not think of any at the moment. Soooooooooo......here I am :)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :beer:
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:35 pm

If you have a shop you trust and all service records I’d say stick with it.

I know my local dealer would have no idea what to do with an Integra, they only really know current models.

Last time I trusted them with an Integra I ended up with a bill over $3500 for shocks and front upper control, later I found out they didn’t even replace the shock mount bushings.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Re: Timing Belt Service - Dealer or Independent Shop?

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:33 am

I vote with sticking with the shop you trust. A TB isn't that bad of a procedure, but there are tips and tricks, and there is quite a bit on the line.

aklackner wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:35 pm ...I know my local dealer would have no idea what to do with an Integra, they only really know current models...
This is a frightening thought. One day, Acura technicians will no longer be "trained" on B-series. :shock:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

carpayments4life

Post by carpayments4life » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:20 pm

Where are you...ie your zip code?
I just had my itr and LS timing belts done and their valves adjusted, last Saturday.
I got the oem parts online at acurapartsforless dot com and paid $240 labor for each car.
I needed 2 1/2 gallons of anti-freeze, also.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:28 pm

aklackner wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:35 pm ...I know my local dealer would have no idea what to do with an Integra, they only really know current models...
This is a frightening thought. One day, Acura technicians will no longer be "trained" on B-series. :shock:
[/quote]

I agree, but seriously they should be ASE certified and competent enough to look at the manual if they are Acura or Honda mechanic at a dealership.

white rocket

Post by white rocket » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks gents :beer:

My thoughts were that I would rather deal with my own shop and also feared that an Acura dealer may not have intimate knowledge of a B18C5 or ITR in general. Perhaps the tech was only 2 years old or not even born when these cars were sold new. I'd prefer to have someone that has done this service hundreds of times rather than leaving it up to a tech that has to follow through a manual and is doing it on mine for his/her first time. It was really just the optics of having Acura paperwork for that service but knowing that my shop can and will source all OEM parts for the service and do the work with 100% accuracy has me swaying in that direction. I was thinking that I may have missed a reason to use the dealer but it sounds like I haven't :)
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

touringteg

Post by touringteg » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:27 pm

One more vote for shop you trust. I took my R to a local shop that used to service it for the previous owner. I have also used them for various cars. It doesn't hurt that the lead mechanic had an EK9 hatch with B18C and he raced with me at autox. They did a great job doing timing belt, water pump, valve cover gaskets and alignment.

Last year I was took it to another independant shop I hadn't been to in years to try and solve a P1456 evap cel. They narrowed the problem down but I was left with two new chips on my red valve cover and a nice black mark on my freshly installed red Recaro Pole Position. I won't be going there again.
CW ITR 01-1233 CDM Sold
CW ITR 98-0635 CDM
CW CTR 17-01818 CDM

aw614

Post by aw614 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:13 pm

I've done the job twice on a b18b1 and a b18c1 and I still don't feel confident in doing the job right. Both times I had nothing to lose, belt snapped on the b18b1 and I shredded a belt and jumped timing back in the fall of 2017 due to a timing belt cover bolt coming loose so I did the job myself vs towing it. Somehow I escaped twice without damage :shock:

I ended up going to a Honda tech I know who does side work at his small garage, but he also owns a few b series cars he and works on them all the time. He's done my b18b and b18c1 motors.

Though I am inclined to trust some of the local dealers in my area with the job, seems a lot of the techs are Honda guys like the tech I go to or are older long time Honda techs that have been around since the late 90s/early 00s.
-Andrew Wong

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:59 pm

aw614 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:13 pm I've done the job twice on a b18b1 and a b18c1 and I still don't feel confident in doing the job right...
I have been there multiple times. There are tips and tricks, but the rest is confidence. After one does the job enough without issues, they gain confidence. Many of us are happy to answer questions as they arise.

My car has large cams, so I replace my TB every 3yrs, otherwise I risk the belt stretching and skipping. I have a video video somewhere of where I got luck in 2010...
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:47 pm

For "investment" value, have it done by a trusted shop, but to continue with the getting side tracked....

Before I did the TB on my b18b1 myself I watched an "ericthecarguy" video multiple times. The TB lasted long enough for the clutch to give out @~225k

Then I studied the Helms and did a b18c5 (won't say built since I bought the bottom end factory assembled)
Lessons learned on that one:
When de-greasing and stripping parts even aluminum will flash "rust" (gets chalky)
Mugen doesn't mark top and bottom on their HG so look very carefully, re-check, walk away\do something else for a bit, then check the HG at least once more....or you'll end up with several qts of Brad Penn on your garage floor (or worse), when you go to start the motor.