Phone\Tablet mount

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aklackner

Phone\Tablet mount

Post by aklackner » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:36 pm

I've played with different options over time but never found a phone mount I was very happy with.
Since I plan to use a phone or small tablet to provide an extended digital dash I'm trying a new "Integra" specific model (ProClipUSA, actually from Sweden?). I didn't see much feedback out there so wanted to share my impressions and some test shots.

I ordered the Integra mount and a the most basic phone holder (for my iPhone 8 w/ slim case, there are a lot of options, some include power but get :moneyburn: :moneyburn: ). The basic holder will fit my iPhone 8 or Galaxy S8, with or without a slim case. If you use a rugged case or wider device you'd need to opt for applicable holder option from them. If switching between phone models you do need a small screwdriver to adjust the width but once adjusted it held my devices very well (both upright and sideways).

I'll be pulling data from my RaceCapture unit but for anyone using digital dash apps to capture acceleration data from a phone's sensors this mount should help with accuracy of the captured data over other mounts that allow more movement. The holder ball joint is larger (so a bit more stable, but more limited in range) than most other mounts I've seen and stiffness can be adjusted via Philips screw. The lower adhesive pad may still allow some movement, but it should be pretty marginal and you could always use a touch of hot glue if the adhesive pad allows too much wiggle for you.

Overall it's likely the best holder I've tried. Pretty well thought through and holds the phone solid in the car.
Photos are with the holder pretty low on the mount, I'll probably move it up toward the top so the phone is closer in my line of sight, that should also add some more clearance with an extended shifter.

(On loose ITR console)

(Staged in my old LS)

aklackner

Re: Phone\Tablet mount

Post by aklackner » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 pm

Ok here’s the iPad mini holder.

I moved the holder as high as I could on the mount.
I have to say I really like this for extending the OEM cluster when needed. It’s very sturdy and well out of the way of shifting.

A single Phillips screw will let me switch to the phone holder so no need to remove the mount to change devices.

In the LS

Shots of the mount with iPad holder.