Oil Pressure Sensor Relocation

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aklackner

Oil Pressure Sensor Relocation

Post by aklackner » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 pm

I just ordered some parts to relocate the OEM oil pressure sensor and add an aftermarket pressure sensor figured I'd post what I'm trying here and others can share what they are doing.

I know there are options from various Miata groups but I had a hard time finding a kit that also supported keeping a female BSPT for OEM sensor.

This is what I ordered from McMaster

Plus a 24" -4AN brake line hose (~$27 on Amazon)
Last edited by aklackner on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aklackner

Re: Oil Pressure Sensor Relocation

Post by aklackner » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:18 pm

Received McMaster’s parts today.

It took a moment to sort out the bspt and npt unions. (Male npt won’t thread into female bspt, and threads from both male npt adapters will line up perfectly).

Everything looks like it should work very nicely. Pic below with a vdo pressure sensor, but I’ll likely pick up a smaller Texense active sensor.

Should get the -4AN line Friday.

I’ll play around with orientation of the T fitting but like the idea of the oem sensor placement opposite the supply. We’ll see what works best.

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:09 pm

Where are you planning on mounting the relocated sensors? Just the firewall?

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:27 pm

I still need to determine a final location for the assembly, but the firewall is the most likely candidate.
I'm using the EDM Bypass Solenoid so the USDM mount location is unused. If I can work out a mount that's probably my first choice. If I have to I could drop a rivnut or two in the firewall above the heater inlet\outlet but that would likely be a last option. I'll flush out the final location later during the actual install. Regardless, the 24" hose should give me a variety of options.

Just to clarify, the reason for pressure sensor relocation is that vibration plus anything heavier than the oem oil pressure switch (or even over tightening) can lead to (micro) cracking and ultimately failure of the block, since it's pretty thin at this port behind the oil galley. Also moving it off the block should reduce vibration so should extend the life of an aftermarket pressure sensor.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Here it is all together with the vdo sensor
The capped end will go to the block.
The open side of the T fitting(with bspt adapter) will get the oem oil pressure switch.

The Russel brake line has a coating so it won’t scratch anything it might rub.