Glass removal

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aklackner

Glass removal

Post by aklackner » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:37 pm

Anyone have some tips on quarter glass removal?

With my shell headed to the body shop once some of the rain in the forecast clears through, I reached out to the glass repair service I had good experience with in the past.

This time the person working the phones wasn’t very helpful. I first had to convince them this was something they could do and something I’d talked to them about in the past, then they ended up multiplying the labor on a full windshield replacement (I actually confirmed this from a past invoice) for each window to get an almost $900 quote just to remove front/rear and quarter glass. In the past I had been told it was only going to cost around $300 for the removal.

Soooo, I decided to pull the glass out myself. In retrospect it’s not something I’d really recommend.

The windshield came out with a cold knife and a good bit of effort.

I had assumed like the front window the molding would pull off the rear hatch glass (I even have the OEM replacement molding already) but after checking the manual it looks like the rear molding stays on and you have to use a cutting wire for the adhesive around the top and sides. So this is on hold for me to pick up some suitable wire.

Now I’m working on the quarter glass and the manual just shows cutting the adhesive with a knife. Even the longest blade for the cold knife won’t reach the adhesive on the door side and getting leverage to cut the upper adhesive has been very difficult. I am making slow steady progress but for the amount of effort I’m spending I have to assume there’s a better way.

Last edited by aklackner on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aklackner

Re: Glass removal

Post by aklackner » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:47 pm

I got the right quarter glass out.

Nothing magic just have to get all the adhesive cut, even a little bit is pretty strong.

The door side did need a long blade.

It can be hard to tell when the adhesive is all cut so periodically work around the outside and see if the window will start to peel away.

The window is pretty forgiving. To get the clip in the top door side corner I lifted the bottom and slid a hand up then gently brought the bottom back in a little. Knowing exactly where the clips are now I may use a nylon panel pry on the left side to reduce risk of cracking it.

Now that I can see the right side I think I can make the left side a bit easier on myself but probably won’t have time to work on it until Tuesday.

DC231

Post by DC231 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:21 am

sounds like a real PITA man. im glad you were able to get one side out so far without damaging it.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:06 am

I applaud your efforts, thank you for sharing. When I paint, I intend to simply replace the side quarter glass, but I believe the rear glass might be discontinued.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Yeah, OEM front and rear glass doesn't appear to be available any longer. I'll reuse the hatch glass from either the ITR or LS, both use the same glass.

Part number for replacement rear surround\molding is 73251-ST7-305, which also shows as unavailable but there are some sources on e-bay. I purchased one, which came in an oem package with part number listed, but I don't think it really looks to be a very good replacement for the original. Beyond just feeling a bit cheap (more like nylon less like a soft rubber), it seems more narrow, and has a shiny surface. I'd highly recommend reuse of an original window with molding attached.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:20 pm

You can try using guitar string to cut the adhesive after that first poke with the knife. May be less chance damaging something. On the windshield if you can't locate a OEM version ApTech is the original manufacturer. I have had awful luck with aftermarket windshields on Hondas. On my civic the original manufacturer is ppg which is now ppw. The sedan is manufactured by aptech which was available in aftermarket. I used the oem windshield trim/ gasket and everything fit great. That windshield has no distortion as I have seen with aftermarket glass. Our cars don't have the same trim so that doesn't apply . Although if someone needs a front windshield that may help.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Stin1 wrote:You can try using guitar string to cut the adhesive after that first poke with the knife. May be less chance damaging something. On the windshield if you can't locate a OEM version ApTech is the original manufacturer. I have had awful luck with aftermarket windshields on Hondas. On my civic the original manufacturer is ppg which is now ppw. The sedan is manufactured by aptech which was available in aftermarket. I used the oem windshield trim/ gasket and everything fit great. That windshield has no distortion as I have seen with aftermarket glass. Our cars don't have the same trim so that doesn't apply . Although if someone needs a front windshield that may help.
This is what aftermarket glass and the gasket usually end up looking like on 96-00 civic. The glass guys chop it up the gasket being hard and stiff . [attachment=0]IMG_2507.jpg[/attachment
This one is the aptech and oem gasket.
[attachment=0]IMG_2508.jpg[/attachment
Finally , New OEM glass and gasket.
A tad off topic, being a different car but kind of related with the discontinued glass.
Attachments
IMG_2508.jpg
IMG_2508.jpg (562.53 KiB) Viewed 621 times
IMG_2507.jpg
IMG_2507.jpg (323.41 KiB) Viewed 621 times

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:33 pm

I don't know what Tapatalk did. It posted the pics in the wrong order and didn't post the third. Blue car is aftermarket. Green aptech with oe gasket. Here is the Oem
IMG_2509.jpg
IMG_2509.jpg (253.97 KiB) Viewed 621 times

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:02 am

Did you call Acura and check availability on the windshield? Hondapartsunlimited shows it as available. I can ask Acura the next time I call there if not.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:47 pm

It's been a while since I checked, maybe additional stock was found?

Either way I may still go with Pilkington. They do at least some of the OE glass for many manufacturers and regardless are high quality without the OEM price tag. Pilkington replacement for the TSX was visually perfect, all the right bordering and shades, even had the internal acoustic barrier. It cost $140.

https://www.pilkington.com/en/global/au ... -equipment