Phoenix Yellow #01-1112

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Re: Phoenix Yellow #01-1112

Post by coolhandluke » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:47 pm

Gotin wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:15 am Inspected the rotor and hub last night, it turns out there was a nub leftover from a broken rotor set screw that was not allowing the rotor to sit flush...
This makes senses. I was chewing on what the issue could be otherwise...
Gotin wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:49 am ...Last thing was the install of a new steering wheel and hub. Mugen wheel with the Spoon Sports SRS hub. Both fit and function of the hub were great. I think I will have to invest in a spacer to bring the wheel a bit closer.
This new wheel looks great! My current Mugen (Gen II?) is on the list to be replaced. I prefer the thumb tabs too.

I also painted my T-bar black (when the car was JDM front) to hide beneath the bumper. I can try and dig up pics.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Gotin
Badge Number: 01-1112

Post by Gotin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:44 pm

Thanks, guys!

Upclose pics would be great if you have them. I found a few on google where you can definitely see the vertical yellow bar. Still torn if this gives it character or if all black is best.
-BJ-

Gotin

Post by Gotin » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:37 am

Continuing to chip away at maintenance while the front bumper is at the paint shop. Removed the lower torque mount on the driver's side (aftermarket/ made in Thailand) and found that there was a 1/4" gap all the way around the bolt between the bolt and the rubber mount. Not sure if this is how it is or if the mount served no purpose...

Timing belt change is underway. A few years back I got a Kobalt corded impact gun from a garage sale for $5. I could not get the crankshaft bolt off with the breaker bar and honda tool. The first time I used the impact gun and it came right off! Got the covers and belt out and found there to be damage to the lower cover. I am guessing that at some point in the R life it broke/dropped a belt that got shredded. New part on order from irunoem.
-BJ-

Gotin

Post by Gotin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:57 am

Updates from 2020:
Timing, AC, PS and Alt belts were completed. Timing covers, gaskets, tensioner, spring, bolt all replaced as well. Both lower motor mounts were replaced with Hardrace units. It helped tremendously that the timing belt was being replaced while putting on the lower mount on the belt side of the motor. This gave me the ability to lower the motor using the jack to allow the center bolt to line up before attaching to the frame rail.
The Hawk HT-10 pads and rotors were replaced with brembo blanks and a more street friendly brembo pad. The Hawk/brembo combo was saved for use with any track events.
While the front bumper was off, the bumper support, lower radiator support and PS/AC lines were painted black to give a more "blacked out" look behind the grill.
Bumper and front lip turned out well and looks much better without the license plate mount.
Car came out of storage 3/3/21 and drove like a champ.
With demand being high, I have been tossing around the idea of putting the car on BaT.
-BJ-

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:31 pm

Gotin wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:57 am Updates from 2020:
Timing, AC, PS and Alt belts were completed. Timing covers, gaskets, tensioner, spring, bolt all replaced as well. Both lower motor mounts were replaced with Hardrace units. It helped tremendously that the timing belt was being replaced while putting on the lower mount on the belt side of the motor. This gave me the ability to lower the motor using the jack to allow the center bolt to line up before attaching to the frame rail.

The Hawk HT-10 pads and rotors were replaced with brembo blanks and a more street friendly brembo pad. The Hawk/brembo combo was saved for use with any track events.

While the front bumper was off, the bumper support, lower radiator support and PS/AC lines were painted black to give a more "blacked out" look behind the grill.

Bumper and front lip turned out well and looks much better without the license plate mount.

Car came out of storage 3/3/21 and drove like a champ.

With demand being high, I have been tossing around the idea of putting the car on BaT.

This first pic is awesome. Bronze CE38N's are my Eleanor,
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:02 pm

I really like all the pics. You couldn’t have a better colored vehicle and the wheel combo with the background. :thumbup:

Gotin

Post by Gotin » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:43 am

Update:
About 1 year ago there was a rattle in the exhaust. Sound was coming from the cat. Upon further inspection and pulling the exhaust apart, it was learned that the guts cooked and broke to pieces. The exhaust had also lodged chunks throughout the Exhaust.
While the cat and exhaust was off, a compression and leak down test were done. There was smoke at high RPM and with the header open, a leak down test would be better heard. The test was done cold (since the car was sitting for a while). 250 compression across the board but leak down showed 15% loss in 2 cylinders. Figured the valve seals were shot, so the head came off.
This offered the opportunity to attack some house hold items that have been on my mind. The header was able to get some love. The kids had their hand a polishing but I ended up having it glass bead blasted. I did not get a pic of the after. It turned out looking like a ceramic coat finish and is starting to change color on the car to a tan.

All new gaskets from Honda were used and the head was sent to a local machine shop for the seals to be installed, resurfaced and a valve job completed. Cleaned the intake manifold and TB from all the grime. The block was cleaned. Radiator and condenser were cleaned of all dirt.
Fuel injectors were sent to RC for cleaning and testing. They were in bad shape and apparently one was stock open based on their test. Everything was buttoned up with new gaskets and a Hondata gasket for the IM.
With full access to the subframe, new motor mounts were installed. Picked up this NOS Mugen set from another forum member here. Previously the 2 torque mounts were replaced with Hardrace units. This made the car feel good entering/ exiting highways but straight line and wheel hop got worse. Figured this was a sign of a bad mount. Come to find out, the rear mount was complete shot. Even with the head off, the rear mount is a PITA, but motor sits very solid now.
Finally (neglected for at least 2 years) the headlight bulbs were changed in the HID houses. I don’t think this job can be done with the headlight in the car, and I could not find a “How To” online for it. While out, more cleaning was done to the under tray of the radiator and condenser. Cleaned the front of the block and hard to reach places.

Engine all buttoned up. New fluids, valves adjusted and new OEM valve cover. Ordered a PLM 200cel cat that is a 3 piece unit that can be adjusted. It is on backorder so I used the hollow cat until then.

Car will be enjoyed for the rest of season. The goal was to have it complete in time for the Honda Meet at the Heritage Museum in Marysville Ohio on 9/24/23. Purchased a used set of Mugen lowdown suspension. They are not on yet and have not decided if it will be before the meet or a winter project.
-BJ-