PY - 01-0590 - Maintenance / Upgrades / OEM Refreshment Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
Dc2-ProductionS
Badge Number: 97-00012

PY - 01-0590 - Maintenance / Upgrades / OEM Refreshment Thread

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:00 pm

So as many of us did, I lost my thread I had going for my 1st ITR. 01-0590. I'll try to clean it up as best as I can and date each post for records.....

OG POST: 12/12/13

So I didnt want to title this as a "build" thread because that's not my intention for this car. Having been on a 8+ year long search of countless R's and searching daily for the right one, finally having one makes it bittersweet. It's 99% OEM at this point, with all stock parts in boxes to make it 100%, and anything changed will follow suit.

So this thread will be a timeline that I plan on updating as I get in and change/upgrade/modify some parts on heR. Before and after pictures of each part with I'm sure a few pictures of heR once the weather starts getting nicer and I can get to enjoy heR. I purchased heR on 11/29/13 (Black Friday... LOL) and here were heR specs:

- 2001 PY ITR
- 87k Miles
- Momo/Spoon Steering Wheel
- OG Comptech Intake Box w/ stock arm
- Spoon Sports shift knob
- 1" drop / H&R Springs on stock struts

- ALL OEM Components provided in box by previous owner

Few pics of her the day I picked her up.

So I have had a set of JDM Red Recaros that are mint that I figure couldnt get a better use than a PY ITR. So day 2, I got out of work and decided to bolt these bad boys in. The stock set had a bit of wear on the driver bolster so I think I'll be trying to get rid of them and finding a mint OEM front set to have in storage ready. Heres the pics after the seat swap.

The next thing I was sure I would need is the JDM Rear Upper Strut Bar. A quick search through some of the forums, and luckily enough, user 94rs-Turbo had one for sale with all necessary OEM hardware. A week later, shes here.

Next on the list was some bumper plugs to cover those holes in the front bumper! ewwww! Called up my buddy that works at Acura and had him order me up a set. Already painted PY (actually labeled Sunlight yellow in DB) here in a day. Havent met up with him yet, but will show some pics, give part #, and before and afters.

Now me being picky as I am, the floor mats arent in bad shape AT ALL. But as mint as the rest of the car is, a little faded on the drivers mat wouldnt work for me. All the other mats other than the driver are mint, but you can't buy just one mat. Soooooooo ICB just happened to have a shipment of some EUDM mats come in and at below what my buddy at Acura quoted me for a OEM Black set at wholesale from the stealer! WOOHOOO! Cheaper by over $50+ AND they have the Red accent stitching? WIN WIN. I havent gotten the shipment of these yet but once I get them I'll be sure to show them off.

As of now I'm compiling a list of OEM part numbers to replace some components. Not that they need replacing, but I want everything as tight as can be. List as of now:

- Ball Joints
- Tie Rod Ends
- Wheel bearings
- Rotors
- Brake Pads
- Misc. Bushings
- Sway Bar Links
- SS Brake Lines

Check back later for some updates! Im hoping to get her on the lift tomorrow night and prep her for Winter storage and install the upper strut bar. Comments, feedback, suggestions always welcome!

Thanks guys!
Last edited by coolhandluke on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Typo/Misspelling Fix
- 01-0590 ITR PY - Garage Queen
- 01-1058 ITR NHBP - Gone
- 97-0012 ITR CW - Princess in progress
- 98-1046 ITR RealTime Replica - #HomageR

Dc2-ProductionS

Re: PY - 01-0590 - Maitinence / Upgrades / OEM Refreshment Thread

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:01 pm

OG POST: 12/19/13

Early Christmas Gift order to myself got placed yesterday. Got a stack of parts for a damn good price from the stealer. Here's the list of parts on order, hoping to be here shortly before the new year.

OEM FTW

Oil Pan Gasket -
PN# 11251-P30-004
Valve Cover -
PN# 12310-P73-A00
Valve Cover Gasket Kit -
PN# 12030-P73-000
Front Sway Bar End Links -
PN# 51320-ST7-003
Front Rubber Shock Absorber -
PN# 51631-SL0-901
Front Suspension Bump Stops -
PN# 51722-SS0-004
Rear Sway Bar Stabilizer Bushings -
PN# 52315-ST7-Z01
Rear Sway Bar End Bushings -
PN# 52316-ST7-Z00
Rear Rubber Shock Absorber -
PN# 52686-SR0-003
Rear Suspension Bump Stops -
PN# 52722-SM4-961
Fuel Filter -
PN# 16010-ST5-933

Cant wait to get them all in. It will be like Honda Christmas!! LOL... I think this is a good firs step to tighten up some old worn out bushings and joints. She will be even more glued to the road when Im done!!

Dc2-ProductionS

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:02 pm

OG POST: 1/13/14

Got all the parts in. :D

The valve cover is beautifulllllll... lol. Going to get a few more parts together and then tackle getting everything on.

I took off the arm rest and the steering wheel to try to freshen them up a bit. The arm rest had a almost leather look to it, and the steering wheels stitching had faded away considerably. A little cleaner, some elbow grease, and a red tip pen made all the difference. I still need to do the stitching on the arm rest, but the fabric is def 10x better.

Before

Lost pics when forum reset... :(

After

Wheel Before -

After -

Next up on the list is exnteded ARP wheel studs with extended lug nuts. Might get a set of H&R spacers as well to push the rear wheels out a touch. Quick release and short hub for the steering wheel. Also a hub lock for when its off. New fan switch, thermostat, and radiator cap as well. Thinking about getting some Samco coolant hoses. Cant justify the Spoons. Just cant do it.

Dc2-ProductionS

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:04 pm

OG POST: 1/29/14

So I think Ive made my final list for a Spring prep. Im thinking of getting her registered and insured yada yada at the end of March / early April. Gotta wait for these damn NY roads to get cleared of all the salt. O___O

- NRG Quick Release
- NRG Hub Lock
- ARP Extended Wheel Studs
- Locking extended Lugnuts
- New Intake Filter
- Wheel spacers (Not sure of mm yet)
- New Spark Plugs
- Spoon Therm/Fan switch
- Spoon Thermostat
- Spoon Radiator Cap
- Spoon Plug wires (Still debating these)
- New rubber for the OEM shoes. Thinking RE11's

Hoping to get all parts within the next month or so and get a HUGE overhaul done with all the OEM parts I just picked up along with these tidbits at the same time.

She will be on her way to perfection soon. Im going to tryyyyyy to close the wallet after this round and just enjoy heR until next winter but we'll see how that goes. LOL

Dc2-ProductionS

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:05 pm

OG POST: 2/18/14

So it seems the Holidays have been good for me!!

I never updated some of the things I got for Christmas and now Valentines Day!! I also have made a few purchases myself that are keeping this project moving right along and getting me even more ancy for Spring to get here. Right now the caR is in storage and I plan on getting her home and in the garage soon. Once that happens, I will be pulling everything apart and getting it ready to be changed out. I will obv post some pictures of the processes.

On to the parts lists....I have a catalog where I am documenting everything I do with heR, so PN# = Part Number

Christmas Parts delivery:
6k HID Kit - (High Beams – 9006)
3k HID Kit - (Low Beams – 9005)
Spoon Reservoir Socks - x2
PN# ORG – 90000 – 001
PW–JDM Fender Washer Kit x7 - black
PN# PWEFW-620

Valentines Day Parts: (Shes a peach )
Spoon Thermostat -
PN# 19301-EG6-000
Spoon Radiator Cap – Type D
PN# ALL-19045-000
Spoon Radiator Fan Thermo Switch -
PN# 37760-EK9-G00

Upgrade Pack #1:
NRG Short Steering Wheel Hub - black
PN# NRG-SRK-110H
NRG Quick Release Ver. 2.5 - black
PN# NRG-SRK-250BK
NRG Steering Wheel Hub Lock - black
PN# NRG-SRK-101MB
ARP Extended Wheel Studs -
PN# ARP-100-7712
Muteki SR48 Extended Locking Lug Nuts - black
PN# 32902B
Muteki SR48 Extended Lug Nuts - black
PN# 32906B

Ohlins DFV DC2R Coilover Suspension -
PN# 67182
Im waiting for this to be confirmed, but as of now it's a go. Should be shipping out soon.

Getting more and more excited by the day to get going on heR. Spring cant come fast enough!

Dc2-ProductionS

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:06 pm

OG POST: 2/27/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket
I vote for new OEM bolts. I have the Bolts Boys kit throughout my caR and while it is nice quality I wish I had kept it OEM. But that's just me. After having a highly modified ITR I'm now more into super stock OEM. Grass is always greener I guess
I was going through this last night with one of my friends. I bought 2 things I may not put on. The PWJDM fender washer kit. Although I think it is a nice touch, its not what I want for this car. Taking the painted yellow factory bolts off the fenders is to me. I may put them in some random spots around the car, or not at all. I want to get all fresh OEM nuts and bolts in the bay as well. The second is the ARP extended wheel studs. Although I love the look, I can bypass doing that by just using the Muteki extended lugnut set that I got. Then its just a matter of changing over the lugnuts.

The Spoon parts I dont think anyone will mind. Other than that I have OEM or easily interchangeable. (Steering Wheel, shift knob, plug and play HID kit, seats, suspension, and steering wheel release/setup) The other thing is, I HAVENT GOTTEN TO ENJOY IT YET. I drove it home 3 hours in the rain into the night. Then 2 times from storage to my friends shop about 2 miles down a straight road. Warm weather. 4 weeks. I have about 4 weeks until I'll have heR out.

Dc2-ProductionS

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:11 pm

OG POST: 3/17/14

Got some of the work started on heR this weekend. Off to the lift and ready for work to begin!

Took the Ohlins all apart and got them all cleaned up. boyyyy do they shine!! And I researched the spring rates that are on mine. Seems they are 1100 front and 400 rear.

They cleaned up great and I cant wait to get them in. Next up was fitting the HID low and hi lights. I went with 6k low beams (hint of blue) and 3k high beams (yellow). Anxious to see how it looks coming down the road in the day time with the lights all on!!

Next was trading out that old oily chipping valve cover. New gasket, hardware, and all grommets of course.

Then I added some of the quick Spoon bits. Didn't have time to drain all the coolant stuff yet for Thermostat and cooling switch but plan on tackling those in the next few days. Suspension in soon and a few more parts. Got most of the NRG quick release setup on as well, but I gotta take apart the old setup and its being stubborn!!

More updates soon. Thanks for tuning in

Dc2-ProductionS

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:16 pm

OG POST: 3/24/14

So before I went to go pickup the NHBP '01-1058 on Sunday, I was able to get some good wrench in on 01-0590.

Ohlins are in and set to a nice ride height all around. Not slammed, but yet lower than stock height. I also got the fluids changed. Royal Purple oil, and Honda Genuine coolant. Did a full flush since I put in a Spoon cooling fan switch, and also a new Spoon thermostat. All changed and filled up, stays cool and fans switch on. Got the front sway bar end links replaced. Hole. E. Chit. Those damn things were SUCH A PITA. The ball was spinning inside the housing and the bolt was stuck on the post. Omg. Had to disassemble the whole control arm again to get them out by breaking them and heating them and bending them. Jeez! WAY more than I anticipated for those. I have the rear stabilizer bushings to put in as well and then shes pretty much set for a while.

Some pics of her progress

Old Thermostat

Those fcuking end links!!

Oil and coolant for the flushing

Ohlins all set and in looking all shiney and newwwwwww!

Dc2-ProductionS

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:18 pm

OG POST: 5/14/14

Weather has been terrible lately around here. Tons of rain.

Havent gotten heR out much, but thats ok! Keep the ticks lowww!!!!

I was looking for a spot to keep the wheel while she's not in use, and I think I found a nice spot!!

I havent showed heR the new shoes I got heR yet, but I hope she likes em!!!

Some more Spoon goodies on the way as well. Hope to stretch heR legs a little this weekend since I have to get state inspected!

Dc2-ProductionS

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:19 pm

OG POST: 7/3/14

Picked up a few goodies for the Yellow giRl. Volk's should be going on soon, and then its time for a full fledged photo shoot!!

JDM ITR SRD Genuine Nylon seat Covers. 9.9/10 condition!

Then I had to add to my Spoon parts list. Came across a thing or two and just couldnt pass them up!!