Doug Demuro reviews an ITR

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Doug Demuro reviews an ITR

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-BfMHT633o

Hope it's a good example! Haven't watched it yet.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

Wibbs

Re: Doug Demuro reviews an ITR

Post by Wibbs » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:41 pm

It's pretty good. Fair play to him for looking for "quirks and features" as our cars are pretty basic. ;) He seemed to enjoy driving it anyway. Though he reckons the S2000 is better in every way. I'd not agree with him there. I've had an S2000 and it's a bloody great car, but I found it lacking in a few areas. At the limit it's far less accessible and could get you into trouble(well me. My driving talent runs out in a pedal car :D ) and Honda never made an S2000 Type R, which for me says something.

He reckoned a Ford Fiesta ST had better steering feel, but I've driven one(and the Focus) pretty extensively and I call shenanigans on that. It's the usual modern car electric steering linear vibe and doesn't come close to the feedback of something like the Integra. Yes the Teg is pretty vague around the straight ahead position, but under load the damn thing starts talking to you. In my case my poor jalopy is usually saying "slow down you crosseyed talentless moron!! Please, sell me to someone who can drive. Or a granny that drives to the shops at 20 MPH. :D . Then again Doug is more a modern car type of chap in that regard, so I understand where he's coming from.

Actually, that's one thing consistent in many R reviews. They always compare it to the latest hot hatches and mid range sporty cars. The fact that they do and can, that says a lot for a car that's over 20 years old as a design. On something like a twisty autocross course I'd be very confident I'd beat cars like the Fiesta or Focus. And like I say I'm not a great driver.

There's a lad on Youtube by the name of Miroshi https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzGsxX ... YfVqvyERLQ who I'm sure you guys know as one of the best resources on the Teg R out there. He competes in Autocross and wins on the regular. And if I may respectfully quote him:

"The Type R version is very good, even after 20 years, it's still very fast on smaller tracks or autox, in fact I've never seen anything faster, even the praised modern counterpart like Renault Megane RS with European autox champion behind the steering wheel couldn't run faster lap times then me and my friend in 20 years old ITRs."

That's little short of amazing for such an "old" car.
JDM VSM Irish interloper :oops: ;)

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:39 pm

I thought it was pretty good. Don't see why the owner couldn't have washed it beforehand.

It also didn't seem like Doug was able to drive it on a good curvy road. So I think he missed out on some of the "type r" experience.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

Brand0n
Badge Number: 980223 1700183

Post by Brand0n » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:43 pm

Wibbs wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:41 pm It's pretty good. Fair play to him for looking for "quirks and features" as our cars are pretty basic. ;) He seemed to enjoy driving it anyway. Though he reckons the S2000 is better in every way. I'd not agree with him there. I've had an S2000 and it's a bloody great car, but I found it lacking in a few areas. At the limit it's far less accessible and could get you into trouble(well me. My driving talent runs out in a pedal car :D ) and Honda never made an S2000 Type R, which for me says something.

He reckoned a Ford Fiesta ST had better steering feel, but I've driven one(and the Focus) pretty extensively and I call shenanigans on that. It's the usual modern car electric steering linear vibe and doesn't come close to the feedback of something like the Integra. Yes the Teg is pretty vague around the straight ahead position, but under load the damn thing starts talking to you. In my case my poor jalopy is usually saying "slow down you crosseyed talentless moron!! Please, sell me to someone who can drive. Or a granny that drives to the shops at 20 MPH. :D . Then again Doug is more a modern car type of chap in that regard, so I understand where he's coming from.

Actually, that's one thing consistent in many R reviews. They always compare it to the latest hot hatches and mid range sporty cars. The fact that they do and can, that says a lot for a car that's over 20 years old as a design. On something like a twisty autocross course I'd be very confident I'd beat cars like the Fiesta or Focus. And like I say I'm not a great driver.

There's a lad on Youtube by the name of Miroshi https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzGsxX ... YfVqvyERLQ who I'm sure you guys know as one of the best resources on the Teg R out there. He competes in Autocross and wins on the regular. And if I may respectfully quote him:

"The Type R version is very good, even after 20 years, it's still very fast on smaller tracks or autox, in fact I've never seen anything faster, even the praised modern counterpart like Renault Megane RS with European autox champion behind the steering wheel couldn't run faster lap times then me and my friend in 20 years old ITRs."

That's little short of amazing for such an "old" car.

They made a CR though ;)

I was a little upset about his s2000 review. He loved how it handled but complained it had no low end power. It's a Honda of course it doesn't. And im sorry but if you feel you have no power, downshift. I've owned three and never felt it was lacking.

Most of the reviews I've watched he seems very very picky
-Brandon

23 CW #2310061
07 GPW s2000

#980223 - sold
#1700183 - sold
InnovativeMotorworks

aw614

Post by aw614 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 am

Outside of stock D series civics, I never felt like there was no low end power on many of the hondas, yeah its not like a small turbo 4 cylinder or a V8, but I never had a problem with moving in traffic.
-Andrew Wong

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:15 am

I made it about half way through and had to stop.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

boostjunkie33

Post by boostjunkie33 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:37 am

RTW DC2R wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:15 am I made it about half way through and had to stop.
Bahaha me too.
DD-'23 S3
'93 Miata
'90 CRX SI
'01-1212

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Wait shouldn't sports compacts all have, leather seats, turbos, 20" wheels, weigh over 3000lbs, and then need a lot of understeer and more airbags than can be counted to save drivers from their choice of a "sport" car? :cry:

Brand0n

Post by Brand0n » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:45 pm

The fiesta ST comparison hurt. Not dogging the newer Ford I'm sure it's a fun little car but I feel like just driving this thing around and ripping on it isn't in the same area as taking it on some twisty back roads
-Brandon

23 CW #2310061
07 GPW s2000

#980223 - sold
#1700183 - sold
InnovativeMotorworks

Brand0n

Post by Brand0n » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:46 pm

aklackner wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:19 pm Wait shouldn't sports compacts all have, leather seats, turbos, 20" wheels, weigh over 3000lbs, and then need a lot of understeer and more airbags than can be counted to save drivers from their choice of a "sport" car? :cry:
Don't forget computer driver aids!
-Brandon

23 CW #2310061
07 GPW s2000

#980223 - sold
#1700183 - sold
InnovativeMotorworks