Civic Type R discussion

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Zyg

Re: Civic Type R discussion

Post by Zyg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:30 pm

white rocket wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:00 pm If you short shift and pump the heater it seems to help so perhaps it is a kinked hose or something.
Good to know, but also peak torque is not at the upper range of the rev limit.
Furthermore, had a Honda Si racer take my car out on PittRace when it had less than 100 miles (admittedly during touring laps, but separate from the main group during a TNiA and with an OK from the organizers), ... and part of the conversation while on track went to the fact that he doesn''t need to "wind out" the motor like on the B18C5 and other similar earlier Hondas, to get his best lap time.
white rocket wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:00 pmAnother note were the tires. Fucking condoms on a 20" wheel is a no-go. They showed wear right on the Conti writing as the tires were folding over. They even look like they are stretched onto the wheel.
Yeah, track duty normally requires a little more tire pressure, even with stock 30 series tires.
BTW -- those stock tires are a compromise for rain and road use.
I'll be tracking a set of Pirelli Trofeo R on stock 2017 CTR wheels.

Hmmm ... the old heater trick!
Will need to keep that in mind ...

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:34 pm

Haha, the heater trick. I slide that to hot, flip to windshield defrost vents, fan on 0 or 1 on every car I've taken on track. :thumbup:
:hammer:

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:53 pm

cheezthis wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:34 pm Haha, the heater trick. I slide that to hot, flip to windshield defrost vents, fan on 0 or 1 on every car I've taken on track. :thumbup:
Same here. I switch up the fan to Level 4 when exiting the track. :thumbup:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

ayau

Post by ayau » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:02 pm

It appears the CTR has factory adjustable front camber. Apparently the shock tower holes are slotted. Does someone want to confirm?

Zyg

Post by Zyg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:20 pm

Went out to the garage, popped the hood and took a quick look.

There's a thin little plate around the top of the shock tower, under the nuts securing the strut covering up whatever may be underneath, and at this point I'm not particularly in the mood to go messing with it.

Maybe check with a dealer and see what they have in the shop manual ...

ayau

Post by ayau » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Zyg wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:20 pm Went out to the garage, popped the hood and took a quick look.

There's a thin little plate around the top of the shock tower, under the nuts securing the strut covering up whatever may be underneath, and at this point I'm not particularly in the mood to go messing with it.

Maybe check with a dealer and see what they have in the shop manual ...
I think this is specific to the base hatch. Not sure if it still applies to the SI or CTR.

Did yours have the guide pins already removed?
Attachments
2.jpeg
2.jpeg (140.08 KiB) Viewed 722 times
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (171.13 KiB) Viewed 722 times

Outrun

Post by Outrun » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:11 am

I drove up to Oregon for the eclipse and saw my first CTR (blue), Si sedan (silver), and Si coupe (red) all on the same day.

MINTY FRESH

Post by MINTY FRESH » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:12 am

Hello All,

Its very good to have the forum back. I missed it. And in respect to seeing a new CTR, I have only scene one in the local dealership. At this same dealership I was informed that a white one sold before it hit the showroom floor and the blue one I saw in person was already sold. As for my own, while it may not be as quick as the new one, I think it looks much better.

MINTY

white rocket

Post by white rocket » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Zyg wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:30 pmpeak torque is not at the upper range of the rev limit.
Furthermore, had a Honda Si racer take my car out on PittRace when it had less than 100 miles (admittedly during touring laps, but separate from the main group during a TNiA and with an OK from the organizers), ... and part of the conversation while on track went to the fact that he doesn''t need to "wind out" the motor like on the B18C5 and other similar earlier Hondas, to get his best lap time.
That's a good point and kind of cool that we can experience a Honda that doesn't require the motor to be wound up to get peak performance. Totally changes the way you drive it and the way it would behave on the same course versus an ITR.
Zyg wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:30 pmI'll be tracking a set of Pirelli Trofeo R on stock 2017 CTR wheels.
Same size as the stock tires? I'd be curious on your review after a track experience to see if a different brand would have different side wall stiffness to prevent the rollover. Stock tires for a rain day is a good plan and nice to have on-hand in case the skies open up mid-day.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Zyg

Post by Zyg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Yes, same as stock size 245/30/20" ... Tire Rack had them listed as fitment for a Lambo of some type (but now obviously for a CTR as well).
Just picked them up from having the tires mounted this morning.

Some time after expo, when they make up a fresh batch of these:
PIRELLI
WINTER SOTTOZERO 3

... in the same stock size, onto the original stock wheels due to the cold weather up here and the general non-freeze warning for ultra performance summer/race tires.

P.S. Weighed one of these this morning @ 51.6 pounds. :o
Previously believe a wheel itself was something like 28.6 lbs.
Last edited by Zyg on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:52 am, edited 5 times in total.