1999 Honda Integra Type R Build

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
DC2Iggy

Re: 1999 Honda Integra Type R Build

Post by DC2Iggy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:29 am

Been a while since I last updated. Unfortunately the -30 degree Celsius (-45 with windchill) temperatures just aren't motivating me to do anything. It started getting pretty chilly in October so I didn't drive the car much before putting it away. Did all the typical stuff prior to storing it away and that's where she sits now waiting until spring.

Started sourcing some replacement parts to fix all the known issues once it warms up. I picked up a set of Koni/GC during their Cyber Monday sale, found a mint SRS steering wheel in Japan for a great price along with my missing ITR ashtray, ordered new upper control arms and bushings, tie rods, and ball joints, picked up a set of OEM S2000 spark plugs (1 step colder than OEM ITR plugs) and sourced a set of door cards to replace the passenger side one that came in my car. Also snagged an OEM Optional Kit from a friend of mine who just so happened to have a spare set in OEM boxes chilling in his basement. I'll have to get these resprayed NH-0 in the spring.

Plan for the spring:
- Sway out suspension components with the new stuff and get an alignment*
- Complete tune up
- Source and replace rear bumper
- Have the front bumper fixed and resprayed along with the optional kit
- Fix the water coming into the trunk from the rear taillight (replacing gasket didn't fix it)
- Replace the interior bits
- Wet sand/polish/clear the headlights
- Clean up all the exterior rubber weather stripping
- Replace front crash beam or weld in new support bar (lacking)
- Rockerguard the wheel wells

I still need to source a new rear bumper and will eventually need some new tires to replace the R1Rs. Currently trying to decide between the 215/45/16 Azenis RT615K+ or scoop a set of 205/45/16 RE71Rs from Costco for about $150 less.

* While I was checking the condition of the front suspension components I had noticed that the previous owner modified the upper control arm bushings to allow for more caster (still have no idea why there are washers on the mounts). I found a video that basically talks about the mod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kosIEQJkRhs . I'm wondering if the added caster might be why the steering wheel is so twitchy over bumps. Regardless, it will be fixed once I get the new suspension components in.

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:59 pm

Finally got some warm weather and was able to do some work. Blew off all the dust off the car (need to scoop a car cover for next winter) and started pulling things out/off.

Took out everything but the dash and headliner from the interior to check the condition of the body from the inside. Glad to see the inside of the quarters were completely rust free. A few cob webs and some dirt that I had to clean up but it was pretty easy. Once everything was clean I put everything back in including all the interior bits I sourced in Japan over the winter. I also sprayed some water around the taillights but didn’t get any water coming in. Might have to give it a full spray down once the ground thaws out.

Went to work on the suspension afterwards.

Some surface rust in the front wheel well that I’ll take care of once it’s warm enough to spray.

Pulled out the upper control arms and the weird washers and found out why the right side strut was compressing more.

The upper control arm bushings on the right side were completely shot. There was no rubber holding the middle together and is probably the reason why there was so much compression in the suspension and why the car kept trying to rip the steering wheel out of my hands going over bumps.

Swapped out the oem suspension with the koni/gc. Oem suspension looked like it was in decent shape still just a bit dirty. I was not looking forward to wrenching on 20 year old honda bolts but everything came out easily and the bolts looked new still.

Looks like the car may have been undercoated at some point before. Suspension feels great now. Just need to take it in for an alignment tomorrow morning.

Spent some time wet sanding/polishing the headlights and the rear quarter glass trim. I think they came out pretty decent.

Changed the oil, air filter, threw in some new spark plugs, and threw on the new plates before taking it for a rip. Feels great to drive it again as I didn’t get much time to drive it last fall.

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Also decided to pick up the Azenis. The R1Rs still have some life left in them so the plan is to use them up at HPDE first week of May and the put the new tires on.

I did notice that the car tends to run rich at WOT. There is soot on the back bumper after a few hard pulls. Did some research and there are people saying its normal and others saying there be something wrong with the timing/cat/plugs/exhaust leak/ect. When I pulled the plugs they looked like they were in good condition. Doesn’t seem like they are being fouled with gas. No noticeable oil loss either so I can’t be burning much.

I swapped them out with the same iridium plugs. The part number came back with 1 step colder plugs so I ordered some oem s2000 plugs from the dealer. My GSR used to do the same thing before but I can’t remember if it always did it.

Anyone else notice their stock ITR running rich at WOT to the point where there is soot on the bumper?

aw614

Post by aw614 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:12 pm

hmm I looked at your opening post, around 63k miles? Are you consuming any oil and are you still running a cat? Soot on the bumper typically points to blowby....
-Andrew Wong

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 pm

aw614 wrote:hmm I looked at your opening post, around 63k miles? Are you consuming any oil and are you still running a cat?
Jdm cat is still on and have not noticed any oil consumption. Been keeping an eye on it but it looks the same each time.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:25 am

How about consumption during sustained VTEC and high RPM track/autox driving?
-Andrew Wong

noahf

Post by noahf » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:40 pm

somehow missed your build threat until now.

looks good! I also have had hondas for a long time and i built an 08 sti a few years back for fun times, and once it was built i realized how finicky they can be. 600awhp on e85 and never knowing if it was going to blow up. ended up selling it and now have an acura and a honda! not as cool with the kids but i really like my cars.

and those brand new koni/gc's always make me smile. think i need a set for my ek9.

and too add something useful, grab a wideband and see how rich you are running in vtec. it may be too much fuel, if i remember back from my b18c5 smokey days.

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:20 pm

aw614 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:25 am How about consumption during sustained VTEC and high RPM track/autox driving?
Not sure yet. My only track day last year lasted 3 laps before I pulled it off due to the tire hitting the frame rail. I have a 3 day track day weekend next weekend so I guess i'll find out then. I spoke to the local Honda guru while getting my alignment this morning and recommended swapping out the oxygen sensor and run 94 octane fuel instead of the Shell 91. He thinks the car might be pinging during WOT pulls, because our 91 VPower is equivalent to ACN91, and the ecu might be dumping in fuel to combat that. I ran into this issue with my STI and is the reason I ended up installing a Water/Meth Injection kit. The 94 here is a blend with up to 10% ethanol.

noahf wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:40 pm somehow missed your build threat until now.

looks good! I also have had hondas for a long time and i built an 08 sti a few years back for fun times, and once it was built i realized how finicky they can be. 600awhp on e85 and never knowing if it was going to blow up. ended up selling it and now have an acura and a honda! not as cool with the kids but i really like my cars.

and those brand new koni/gc's always make me smile. think i need a set for my ek9.

and too add something useful, grab a wideband and see how rich you are running in vtec. it may be too much fuel, if i remember back from my b18c5 smokey days.
You understand my pain then haha. Definitely spent a lot of time worrying about spinning bearings than actually pushing the car. Seems like it's still kicking around town so might be okay still. I just sold my wideband too. I'll see if the higher octane fuel and new o2 sensor help.

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Thu May 02, 2019 11:55 am

Quick little update. Ended up switching from Shell V Power to our Husky 94 (10% ethanol content) and the running rich under WOT issue went away. Ordered replacement filters and sensors just in case.

First track day is this weekend and it's looking like it's going to be a wet and cold one with the potential of snow in the morning. Can't wait.

Sp00nFedFilms

Post by Sp00nFedFilms » Thu May 02, 2019 2:51 pm

What did you use on the rear quarter glass moldings?