ITR 00-0874 ... Life after death

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Re: ITR 00-0874 ... Life after death

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:30 pm

white rocket wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:31 am Whoa, polished and balanced rockers. How very Spoon of you :trophy:
HAHAHA Thanks! Poor mans style. I actually did another set for a GSR engine I've built and have for sale. That one I even went as far as polishing the LMA tubes. It'll be fun to see the dynamics between both engines.

DC2Iggy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:53 am Love this build. Your documentation and attention to detail is amazing!
Thanks Iggy! I just want to build a clean ITR. As best as I can. Not out for trophies, just something I can look at and be satisfied.

Next, I focused on the cylinder head, where I'd use my skill or lack thereof to port it, polish the chambers and exhaust housing.

The stages of port work. For the Exh side, I only remove casting flaws and bend the bowls. For the intake side, I open that up and port match per gasket. The "swirl scars" were left purposely. This will be the first engine out of two that I built that I've tried the polished exhaust and combustion chamber. The other head is much smoother.

All ready to drop off at the machine shop.

Vtecwreck

Post by Vtecwreck » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:35 am

Great job with your meticulous attention to detail and great narration. Best of luck with your build.
98-0148: DeRicing Project
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=264

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 am

This has been a fun read. Thank you for documenting the build process. I'm looking forward to updates. :thumbup:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Vtecwreck wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:35 am Great job with your meticulous attention to detail and great narration. Best of luck with your build.
Thanks Vwreck. I tried finding images and lost a few while hunting. It's hard to gauge how far we really go without a few pics that show the extra mile. Thanks for stopping in and posting a few words.
coolhandluke wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 am This has been a fun read. Thank you for documenting the build process. I'm looking forward to updates. :thumbup:
It's been my pleasure to share with you all. I'm still hoping on a whim that one day I will find the original engine and trans for this car. That would complete it for sure. I'll work on some more image sorting tonight for tomorrow's post.

white rocket

Post by white rocket » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:31 am

Great log and photos. Cheers :beer:
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:06 am

white rocket wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:31 am Great log and photos. Cheers :beer:
Hope I can keep it up...Thanks Man. ;)

Let the bottom end begin…. I’ll elaborate if that’s ok with everyone. I hate to be long winded sometimes but it may be the only way things take shape. My goal for this engine as stated before is primarily efficiency and longevity. I bought the block and cylinder head separately not knowing hoe they once lived their lives. I do know the cylinder head was a virgin.

The block, I knew nothing about it, except it was a b18c5 missing pcs. The only pcs I never logged, or can’t seem to find image of are the crank and rods. I did know that I wanted a engine with a slight bump in factory power, a race motor wasn’t necessary. With all the machine work, flat valves, and USDM CR pistons; I’d land right where I wanted to be all said and done w/ a JDM B18C ratio. The cams being a hare more aggressive than a CTR, the intake manifold out flowing the JDM ITR, and the header being the best complimentary to mid range ( like the JDM ITR header ) would mentally make this my perfect blend of a stock motor w/ bolt ons.

The classic, tried and true Nippon piston. I later ditched the pistons rings in favor of the hi-po version rings.

rods & pistons mated, this is after the rotation assembly balancing

back peddling a bit, Engine layout. This is the only image I have that has the water pump, oil pump, etc before assembly. I’m sure everyone know the concept of this image, LOL.

edited version

Block Assembly

Let's kick this off w/ the one and only..... bare naked bruiser

Hope the plasti-gauge is visible

It is/was, very difficult to take an image of this step haha - holding the camera with one hand, trying to press the snap button and keeping this gauge "ruler" on point w/ the other. Brain tease for sure.

Now here's my doubtful nag in the back of my mind until this day...Should I had ceramic coated the combustions chambers as well, instead of slaving on polishing them? I'll never know (unless I have to rebuild this setup, Gods pray life, I never have too.)

No need to waste paper, I'll just write it on the block.

Missing Files - Ecstatic I Found these; no special order.

Same Edelbrock 4730 cams, just redecorated.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:13 am

PART 2 of the Engine Assembly

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:43 am

ITR Bits....when the meticulous me is unleashed.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:40 pm

Induction Planning

Knowing the specs of my build to be, I wanted the best manifold I could purchase for the coin. Thanks to what's left out there I concluded the performer X would be the one. It was just a matter of finding one. After I purchased mine, it seems they surfaced more frequently. Just happy I was able to locate one in good condition.

Port Matched to Gasket.

IDK why, but I found this cool. An imperfection in the casting.

Exhaust Improvements

As mentioned before, this engine was never destined for massive power, just a power up. I didn't mind that a real toda header wasn't implemented because I'm not after the cool points. I just want what works. I do know and fully understand the weight of my choice. There's a unfortunate gary area for me with replica parts.

Lesson? Quality suffers, when saving pennies. Good thing my port hand was way strong this day!

Final Finish

Engine Assembly Continued

The Joy of building/assembling something with your own two hands. Not everyone can purchase brand new parts, so I hoped to build this engine and inspire those. I see tons of cars loaded with mods, just to see their mods list two iPhone note pages long. Some of the most hideous mods you can put on a car. The point is, tact. A little paint goes a long way, a little cleaning makes old look new, a little planning saves waisted time and money on senseless mods.

There was so much prep to give it that fresh look without buying new bolts or paying to have them re-zinc'd. It was the proper "patina."

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:52 am

Long days, Low pay, Short stay-cation = brief hiatus.

Today's update in short, I lost footage moving from phone to phone and my documentation is suffering a bit. but I pieced together a J4D LSD spec gearbox. Gave it a overhaul and fitted it with a USDM LSD. I could have spent less with certain aftermarket bits but this was sort of a purist decision.

Unfortunately, the cleaning procedure does harm the labels, stamps, and vin tag at this level but onward and upward to some DSLR shots.

P.S. This is not new hardware either, I found the best looking hardware I could over the past 2yrs and I cleaned them up. I shouldn't be prideful in the matter but I love the zinc appearance from factory. Hope you guys enjoy the visuals.