ITR 00-0874 ... Life after death

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

ITR 00-0874 ... Life after death

Post by JDMJNKY » Thu May 24, 2018 11:00 pm

"Hello, it's me....."

"Hello, how are you?
It's so typical of me to talk about myself I'm sorry
I hope that all of you are well..."

- Adele

Since the data loss of the old forum I'll be starting my thread over. I've been working on my R lately but I've had little to no time I wished to dedicate at the time to forum posts; forgive because before social media this was all many of us knew/met. So, please bare with me as well travel back in time a bit. I'll update my post day-by-day if possible.

- JOEL.

JDMJNKY

Re: ITR 00-0874 ... Life after death

Post by JDMJNKY » Thu May 24, 2018 11:27 pm

So last year in May('15), I ended up finding this car thanks to some good friends, Marco & Mitchell. I was totally unsure of what to do with it, so it's been on pause ever since. I did reach out to a few members on ID'ing the car. I also chased the bread crumbs left inside this car. Leading me to some pretty decent answers. As luck would have it, as of yesterday I met the previous owner who let me know quite a bit about the cars history.

With that said, now that I do know the badge number I'd like to do a OE type resto. If I did find the badge number then I'd just go the popular K-swap route. Anyway, here she is PY-ITR 00-0874. All "proper" donor parts from a black GSR I own will be transferred over and the GSR shell will be going back to my friend who I purchased it from. Looking back, It seems all the set backs I was having w/ the GSR build were signs to be patient and wait for the ITR info. to come around.

Onto the Rrrrrrrr. Here's a picture the previous owner sent to me of the car back in the day, while we spoke. Summarized, it was explained to me that when he purchased the yellow R from TN, "the paint was not as clean as the seller described." Arriving to his disappointment, he then took the USDM front off the car and installed it onto his black ITR. The black ITR was a cleaner shell/car, missing some bits according to him. Leading up to the missing parts. This yellow car was later "stolen," recovered, then purchased by me. The black was sold.

The car when I previewed it last year. Much work to be done, but, all in due time.

Sp00nFedFilms

Post by Sp00nFedFilms » Fri May 25, 2018 6:20 am

Good luck on this resto. This always gives me hope I'll own an R one day seeing the recent market hike. Looking forward to more pics!

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Fri May 25, 2018 10:57 am

JDMJNKY wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:00 pm Since the data loss of the old forum I'll be starting my thread over...
- JOEL.
This is still a sensitive subject for myself and many others. I will not support Skunk2 as a result, What Happened to the Old Forums?

I appreciate the effort in recreating your build thread. I am slowing shifting photos from Photobucket to do the same. I look forward to reading or rereading through your build. :beer:

One day I will gather high-res photos for a Rebuild Calendar.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri May 25, 2018 11:45 am

Sp00nFedFilms wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:20 am Good luck on this resto. This always gives me hope I'll own an R one day seeing the recent market hike. Looking forward to more pics!
Thanks man! I appreciate it. I miss the build vs bought days. The hike.....My gift and a curse. It's crazy that in 3yrs time everything for this car has soared in price. I'm one of the fortunate ones I guess. I have no problems w/ light salvaged cars, nor clean title shells. Given the market know my logic is completely sound. I've always been a project guy, I've always believed buying a shell at a fraction of the cost leaves me with loads of money to blow (- hypothetically ) getting it back in shape. Because in time, with time, anything is possible.

coolhandluke wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:57 am
This is still a sensitive subject for myself and many others. I will not support Skunk2 as a result, What Happened to the Old Forums?
Insightful. I tried to standby s2 myself, always giving their product hope in this industry - sadly, let down after let down. The only product I ever was wowed by, by them, was a Road Race EG; sporting pro C's. Then I bought some Godspeed Monomax's and that reaffirmed why I don't buy skunk products.
coolhandluke wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:57 am
I appreciate the effort in recreating your build thread. I am slowing shifting photos from Photobucket to do the same. I look forward to reading or rereading through your build. :beer:

One day I will gather high-res photos for a Rebuild Calendar.
Man, I see social media and the loss of quality content. I miss the older days. We claim to be so busy these days and forums suffer, when in fact it's quite the opposite we spend our nights and days on social outlets. The quick looks, and carry-on platforms. No one wants to invest time anymore. I'm honored forums like this still exist for us to create catalogs of knowledge and share. Where we can really "build." It's not just wheels, coilovers, visors and you're done.

After WTDR took a dump, I would always double up on files. I'm glad I jumped to flickr before the spam of PB. Anything called a photo belong there. Definitely recommend it. A rebuild calendar, that sounds cool! I'd buy it.

as for the R, Here's some more in depth pics from the walk around on pick up day.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sat May 26, 2018 8:15 pm

4-2-16

The R-Files.....Loaded up headed for it's new home.

may was a crazy time, integra graveyard it seems.

nestled in on roller dollies

Let some parts go to my buddy mitchell, i received some in exchange. I later got the doors back as luck would have it.

I was planning to do a black 97 spec, but somewhere I along the lines I decided to keep the OG color; in hopes of finding the original engine and trans one day. The 97 front I purchased from a friend who did the jdm conversion. It was complete w/ lights and bumper. The 97 front end changed when I had found a black 94 gsr shell for sale. Which I've been playing with until recently, as the R sat.

Misterjew

Post by Misterjew » Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Your ITR looks very similar to how I got my ITR from copart. I'm almost done with the rebuild. Good luck it will be a mission but worth it in the end.
98-1147
02 BB S2000 OEM HT/17x10 Ce28/J’s Racing

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Mon May 28, 2018 11:26 am

Misterjew wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 pm Your ITR looks very similar to how I got my ITR from copart. I'm almost done with the rebuild. Good luck it will be a mission but worth it in the end.
Thanks MJ! I've been known to walk away from a project here or there but I think I'm committed to this mission. Only time will tell the truth though.

5-16

Some CF parts I began to hunt for last may. Courtesy of an old friend and new one, Colin & Ryan over at AFH.

Armrest Badge

Sedan Rear Door Handle

Shifter Plate

Driver Vent

Armrest

Some other bits I've found while the R sits dormant. There's a few more but I have to take some pics of those, forgive me.

Strut Bar Decals

A cool lil pouch, I just wanted the red key LOL

My favorite non srs steering wheel. I'll be keeping my eyes out for a SRS model as well.

Some more bits from yesteryear! I'll start with engine related components for now. Still need a bit more.

2000 B16 Head that I'll play with in the future. If I can't find the OG parts at least era/year correct replacements will do. It has never been resurfaced, which was a key purchasing point for me. To top it off it came complete.

2000 ITR Block. No crank but almost every other component was included. Also as a bonus ARP main studs, and stock were received.

Ishihara Johnson

a first time ever purchase. It sucks to know when you were too cheap, parts were cheaper; LOL.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:47 am

Pic'd this up as I misplace SG's

Snapped images of some new stuff before I put them away and have to dig them out later, LOL. I don't have much more to share as far as parts collection, but I'll work on updates. I plan to start stripping the bay this upcoming week. I'd like to have the front end repaired and engine bay painted.

R*Fab Shift knobs

This one is reserved for the R as it's my favorite.

Sorry for holding out...almost forgot! I did make a temporary power plant purchase, for a whopping $500. Owner said he bought it rebuilt 1yr ago. He threw in a GSR trans for another $300 and the LS trans ( sold it for a profit, it's the psi washed gearbox below ). I did purchase the items with bill of sale, and matching vins on the Transmissions to vehicles. Vin exception being the long block.

BASIC SPECS:
97 B18C
S2 Gen2 IM ( I plan to remove and use a ported gen1 and 68mm PP TB )
Blox B cams
Blox Valvetrain
ITR Pistons
Failpro HG.

I was unhappy w/ the HG choice so I decided to tear it down. During teardown I was unsure if the cylinder wall wear I found was current, or the previous reason for the rebuild. I went ahead and disassembled the block, re-honed it, slapped some new NPR rings in, along with new ACL RCAE bearings main and rod. It previously had std. king bearing in it. I also installed a new oem oil pick up, the old unit didn't look to straight. Oil pump and water pump looked new as stated, so I resealed those.

block re-assembled

added some paint to give it a new look. Not a fan of painting engines w/ silver but this looks pretty good.

Head is at the machine shop - Check VG's, Resurface and install ST seals. LMAs will be updated w/ these S2 pcs when I get it back.

4-19-16

UPDATE
Last year some time I stumbled upon a painter on IG who repeatedly produced some great work. I reached out to him way back when for a rough estimate, and now that I've sold my GSR shell, I will use the money from it to repair the front support, and re-spray the engine bay. So my son and I began stripping the bay down. So the past 2 mornings after we walked big sister to school we worked on the engine bay until I left for work.

Located the remaining C5 bottom end parts

as far as I could get, next out is the dash.

Engine harness(s) the best one will be re-loomed.

5-1-16
Logging some goods I was able to procure thanks to some good friends.

and some donor bits I'm removing from the GSR and storing for the ITR.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:48 pm

Due to the data going mobile access until further notice, I apologize for this long cut & paste. I don't want to loose anymore than I've lost logging it. However, the flood will get us closer to present time.

Update: in the middle of copy & pasting, I received a database error message. I hope it doesn't mean another forum down. :shock:

- Joel

Dual din radio finally arrives, after waiting a few months.

The temporary R swap head returns from the machine shop. "needed" 8 ext guides. I gave them a lil bit of sass, because they blasted the cam cap area, I was unhappy about that. I'm going to have to polish it back out as best I can and follow up w/ some plasti-gauge. :EEEK :hammer:

Lastly I acquired a discontinued Outlaw Gasket Set. Bad news is I'll have to find the proper injectors, after light research I'll need to re-aim spray to the back of the valve, or find one that already does this. So far the EV14 is prime candidate.

Minor update; bought this P1 Lip a few months back, finally got a chance to get it. I'm awaiting the lower splitter replacement from Kiwi.

I also got this 68mm TB for a great price of $60

Found my bolsita of ARP Headstuds. Prepped my HG w/ copper spray. I'd like to get the head on and finish up final assembly of the LB within the week. I forgot to snap some pics of the ported s2 Gen1, another day I suppose. More updates soon.

almost forgot...as promised sir

It's been a short while since I've updated my thread. I did end up installing the head, I was going to install the cams as well but I ran out of assembly lube, and I forgot my billet cam seal at home. I hope to button that up this upcoming week. Work has me busy so the longblock rests covered up.

Somewhere along the time line I bought this header off a client who went FI. I've been tossing the idea around of rebuilding the B18c5 to JAP spec, if so it will come in handy. If I stray, I'll sell it and try something else.

Had a VC PC'd OE style for this temporary engine while it's still in pcs.

Due to the fact I am dealing with a non rolling shell, I've decided to DIY my 5 lug setup. Fresh new parts vs buying a used 5 lug just made sense to me. Knuckles an TAs coated in a fresh black.

To further endorse my monochrome "final vision" I have for the car, I took the donor subframe brace and had it PC'd Gunmetal.

Minor updates here. Bought some assembly lube as you can see. :happy: I ending up removing the blox B's, in favor from a custom stage 1 cam. It's a hair more aggressive than a CTR cam and "should" work better than the Blox B's with my C/R of 11.1. I'm not looking for any "power" with this setup. I more or less want it "balanced" to R-spec-ish.

Forgot to send rear spindle to PC lol - logged

Logging donor parts from my old gsr

I apologize for not being majorly active recently. I've been spending some much needed peaceful weeks with the family. I'm happy about this update. Gave the family a reason to take a road trip. I've waited for this bumper for quiet some time. I just want to say it was finally nice to meet Idris and Thank him so much for this Euro Integra bumper. 3 more major PCs and I will have the EXT. for the R down solid and according to my "end goal" vision.

I was also able to procure some more themed goods while I met up with Idris at ICB in AZ. Valve stems should be arriving any day now.

A late birthday present to myself also arrived a few days ago, I was going to sell them in hopes of finding the specs I really wanted but they are just to darn clean. If anyone has a lead on new authentic blue caps and stems please contact me.

My first set ever. Silver 1999 Edition Mugen MF10 16x7 +50 5x114.3

Man I've missed this forum. For some reason I do like CI. I just wish they had a civic section. I don't want to clutter my threads. Anyway, Some updates I've lagged on due to low activity. Again, I've been working on my civic sedan "race car" LOL.

7/28/16
The bottom end for the b18c5 just received one more piece to the puzzle. A friend of mine, laughed at me for trying to stay OEM w/ this rebuild, so he gave me these "R" rods with ARP bolts. Next on the list of finds will be a GOOD crank.

Small update for the temporary heart. IM bead blasted and coated in silver to match the longblock, which is almost complete.

Thank You Matt at ICB for the Lug Nuts. Another Mugen good X'd off the list.

S|O to Kumar of Touge Academy for the plate.

8/4/16
Roughly 2 nights ago, I was speaking to a good friend about cars, long story short he asks me for the cars VIN#, and my email address; Moments later he send's me some 13 page PDF. I was ecstatic about the following images that showed up in that report. The best confirmation you can ever receive. The truth!!! :dancing: Unfortunately this is the best quality pic I could muster from what I was given, but I'm satisfied. Enjoy some images of what the R looked like once upon a time.

8/24/16
Making sure the parts I'd like to use for this build make it to the thread requires plenty ramen. #kNOwRAMEN #KnoWlife

8/25/16 thread edit from 4/15/16
Looks like I missed this post back in april, should have been posted 4/15/16
Some updates I was able to process from the other night. A mix of interior exterior pcs. of yesteryear continued.

Vintage parts....nom

bumper brackets I purchased w/ seals and hardware, which I ended up using on my GSR. Now I feel bummed about that.

worst pic ever of a rear trunk bar LOL

my brotha Jona ( 98specjon ) from Ohio put these bits aside for me, forever thankful. He also threw in some knick-knacks I enjoy.

Snagged these from my boy Chad! Gracias.

FAUX so beautiful

Kudos to Mikey ( Bitanga ) for this one

Big Ups Insidious Captain

Tim Clair from greedy/dsport AKA MAH ALE's w/ the "out of nowhere" contribution which I love

R.Doolin w/ his special Gift - A Clock delete

EDM Mats

Jona for the assist once more. His Ohio deals kill me LOL

In closure more mugen S|O Romey for the Cluster,

and ICB for the Oil Cap

11/17/16
Random update. Received these gen 1 pedals from a friend. Quite dirty, but they cleaned up nicely. Thanks JS for the cleaning tip.
Before
After

Lastly the New years update 1/22/17
Keeping the mugen theme flowing with some small additions.

The items left on my mugen hard to find (WTB ) list:
Mugen Sides w/ brackets
Mugen Hood
Mugen Formula Cover
Mugen DC2 Catback
Mugen Header W/ heat shield
Mugen Steering Boss
FG360 Horn Pad
Maybe, maybe not 1 s1r w/ rails

My sedan how it sits now. I mention it briefly post 254/7 IIRC.

Well it's been so long, I apologize. I was so use to using NWP where I could easily log my build(s). I lost my license in DEC. but I now have it back. I always have a forum itch, I love to log things, so here goes to hopping back in the saddle.

Since this post I've finished the engine and later sold it.

I also was at a point where I listed the shell for sale, but after I had some work done to it, I decided to keep it.

Painter pic

Had to go see it for myself

I later requested some undercoating to sprayed.

Lastly my sedan as of now

knowing the shell would need to be rolling soon, I had to get the 5 lug started. I ended up purchasing some bits from Stan, with used 32mm 5 lug on hand, I began commencing the refurb.

New front wheel bearings

Rear Spindle Powder Coated

Rear Hubs cleaned

More suspension parts - Dug up all my hardware and suspension pcs. to be cleaned and refurbished. My wife claims I have OCD, I'm in denial, sometimes it pays to be organized.