ITR 00-0874 ... Life after death

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Re: ITR 00-0874 ... Life after death

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:13 am

It should lol...but I've been playing with a new daily project. Since my TSX was a "total loss." This car is on pause until my daily status is secure.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:29 pm

I've disassemble the rear of the car yet again. I've decided to recondition it, instead of waiting for a future teardown and resto. Found some goods in my tool box I was saving for an old project that I sold.

I had begun with an intent to just redo the wheel wells with undercoating.

ImageImageImage

I guess I didn't have enough work on my plate, because tackling this was nagging me.

Since I know that white vinegar can deodorize while air drying (displacing moisture), I thought it would be the best at neutralizing rust, creep into crevices and air dry without making the situation any worse. In fact, it attacks rust directly. Armed with a spray bottle I removed the surrounding items and got to work.

After i wire brush and scrub everything down once more with vinegar, I'll be using chassis saver and then topcoat with an undercoating. The coolest thing is that it's a spray on or brush on coating. I may try to spray it on, haven't decided just yet. The most important part right now is my intent LOL.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Vinegar is acidic which is why it removes rust. You need something to neutralize the acidity or it will continue to rust after. People use baking soda. There is other options as well. Check the bmxmuseum for results and other rest removal tips. I think a citrus bath may be a better and safer solution.

Dpine

Post by Dpine » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Nice progress and fantastic eye for detail.
May I ask a question regarding the paint you used on some of the parts?
What paint did you use for the bolts (gold paint) and the suspension knuckles and some of the brackets on the engine (black paint). I believe some of the pictures were from page 2-3.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:13 am

Stin1 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:53 pm Vinegar is acidic which is why it removes rust. You need something to neutralize the acidity or it will continue to rust after. People use baking soda. There is other options as well. Check the bmxmuseum for results and other rest removal tips. I think a citrus bath may be a better and safer solution.
Will definitely give it a shot. Thanks Stin1.

Dpine wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:21 pm Nice progress and fantastic eye for detail.
May I ask a question regarding the paint you used on some of the parts?
What paint did you use for the bolts (gold paint) and the suspension knuckles and some of the brackets on the engine (black paint). I believe some of the pictures were from page 2-3.
Thanks DPine. The gold bolts were sprayed with a basic can of rustoelum gold. A lot of the other big black items were powder coated. The small ones I used VHT chassis paint.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:14 pm

there's a vicious cycle outside these forum walls; it's called life. I apologize for the lack of updates, after loosing my daily to a collison, I had a choice to make. Rush this R or prepare another daily. I was in no rush to be followed home, nor sleep with eyes and ears open, so I chose the latter and prepare a daily.

To anyone reading this, I'm still missing the illusive rear 1/4 plastics and trunk plastics. If you have them new or like new, I am very serious about purchasing them.

Verbal updates: Mounted the battery tray and bumper support, I also procured non-torn covered AC lines.

Snuck some trips into honda here and there as wallet permitted

Visual Updates: Mounted a portion of the induction system, I was waiting to paint match this bracket witha gallon or two but I can do that later.

I apologize for the dust, I do my best to keep my bay covered but my co workers are frequently showing other clients it seems. When I arrive in the mornings it's always uncovered.....sigh ;)

airbag footage leak, I wish I could find a spoon filter less than 350 murdered, this decal would hold a greater significance

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Are you applying the company delivery decal intentionally or Acura delivered it like that to the reservoir ? By that I mean the square with the delivery info and the original photo with no packaging. Acura has shocked me with some of my purchases is my reason for asking.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:04 pm

No I'm not, as you see it, is how I received it. I didn't notice it until it was almost in and said hey, I'll leave it for now.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:26 am

JDMJNKY wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:04 pm No I'm not, as you see it, is how I received it. I didn't notice it until it was almost in and said hey, I'll leave it for now.
I thought so . I received a muffler with bubble wrap as the only protection. That tip was dinged. I had another arrive same way and the tip was smashed in . The b pipe I received was not damaged but I had to spend a hour with a plastic scraper and wd40 scraping the delivery info tag and part number off. The sash tape I received has writing on it that it's on hold for another customer. I am starting to think they are down to customer returns and rejected inventory on some of these parts. I have never seen the same issues from Honda, yet they are in the same wharehouses.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:51 pm

I'm glad I have yet to receive that many parts like this, it's actually been the first one. Also brings an awareness to the stuff I must get. Scary.