specialty auto insurance question

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Dpine

specialty auto insurance question

Post by Dpine » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:49 am

I'm currently in the process of down sizing vehicles (going from two vehicles for daily use to one) I have moved the new Vehicle over to my Wife's auto insurance (better rates) which will leave me with Just the ITR with my current Insurance. I'm looking to maybe move the ITR to another provider that has better options for piece of mind.
If I remember correct there was an older thread on H-T were Grundy was mentioned.
If anyone has experience with Grundy or another provider can you give me your experience with the.
Thanks.

Dc2-ProductionS
Badge Number: 97-00012

Re: specialty auto insurance question

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:57 am

I have collectors insurance with Grundy.

- You must have another vehicle for daily use
- No more than 2,500 miles per year

They usually have some other stipulations and restrictions, but they aren't a worry for me bc i don't drive heR much. :(
- 01-0590 ITR PY - Garage Queen
- 01-1058 ITR NHBP - Gone
- 97-0012 ITR CW - Princess in progress
- 98-1046 ITR RealTime Replica - #HomageR

Dpine

Post by Dpine » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:28 am

Ok, this is not a problem for me.
- I have a daily driver
-I drive the ITR less than 500 miles a year.

Can you tell me was there a substantial price increase from a more commercial insurance company?
How does the agreed upon value work? Do they allow you to tell them what you want it to be and pay accordingly?

I ask the later question because my biggest fear is theft and the fact that the insurance company I have would only want to give me Integra GSR value (for example)

thanks

Dc2-ProductionS
Badge Number: 97-00012

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Dpine wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:28 am Ok, this is not a problem for me.
- I have a daily driver
-I drive the ITR less than 500 miles a year.
Can you tell me was there a substantial price increase from a more commercial insurance company?
How does the agreed upon value work? Do they allow you to tell them what you want it to be and pay accordingly?
I ask the later question because my biggest fear is theft and the fact that the insurance company I have would only want to give me Integra GSR value (for example)
thanks
My current insurance rate is $425 for the year with an agreed value of $25,000. Thats $35 a month.

I started with an agreed value of $18,000 4 years ago. Then moved to $21,000 2 years ago, and just this January up to $25,000. For the $25k I had to provide detailed pictures of the vehicle inside and out, and engine. I was asked to provide a reason for my asking amount to which I provided multiple BaT auctions and current F/S posts. I also wrote a small blurb about the articles coming out and the rising market.

Took a week to hear from them but they approved with no further questions after that.

Guaranteed value is exactly that. Fire, theft, accident, etc. However if you are on your way to work and someone smacks you its not covered. "Leisure" driving only. No track events without notification and approval. (Other companies provide day coverage for things like this and much less hassle)

For me the collector insurance is a no brainer.... Im anxious to see what they say when I tell them I want the '97 insured for $50k when I'm done with it. LOLOLOL :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
- 01-0590 ITR PY - Garage Queen
- 01-1058 ITR NHBP - Gone
- 97-0012 ITR CW - Princess in progress
- 98-1046 ITR RealTime Replica - #HomageR

Dpine

Post by Dpine » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:02 am

Thank you for the detailed information.
This helps me out a lot.

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:38 am

I have also used American Collectors (formerly American Hobbiest) insurance in the past with great results and they were very flexible. But my recent inquiry with them on the current R didnt go so well. They were not very helpful or responsive.

I have a quote from Grundy right now that I havent pulled the trigger on. They seem to be very strict on their rules compared to my previous experience with AC. They make you fill out a questionnaire form and if you state ANY type of use other than sitting in the garage, or attending cruises/car shows, they will flag it and give you a hard time. I happen to drive my R often so I stated I use it occasionally for normal use and it is definitely a flag for them. I was just being honest because I dont want to end up in a situation where I drove the car to work one day because it was nice out, get into an accident, and they come back and say its not covered because of how I was using it.

My Geico coverage for all our vehicles is reasonable with no limitations on use so no rush to switch right now.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

Dpine

Post by Dpine » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:10 pm

I just wanted to bump this back up as I'm going thought the process of an automated online quote with Hagerty. I let them decide the value which was a lot more than I though it would be and the annual amount is less than what I pay with my regular insurance company now.

I do have a question regarding total loss/ stolen from inside my residence value wise would that default to my home owners insurance and how has other folks delt with this?

neatrip

Post by neatrip » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:53 pm

The total loss question is a good one I would like to also know. :idea:

Grundy and Hagerty sound like good options for alot of us. What was the appraisal process like? In case of rare and premium parts that some of our caRs have, how knowledgeable are these companies?

Do pictures and receipts have to be submitted say for parts like Spoon Hood and Spoon wheels? :?:

Some more insight on all of this can help alot of owneRs considering affordable and reasonable coverages for these caRs. :ugeek:

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:25 am

I would definitely check out this thread for speciality auto insurance feedback from the community on both Grundy and Hagerty:
https://typerclub.org/forums/viewtopic. ... lit=grundy
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Dpine

Post by Dpine » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:02 pm

Ive been logged out for a while since I bumped this thread last. I didn't end up pulling the trigger with Hagerty. I read though lots of reviews on line about them. People that never had to use them (make a claim) loved them, people that actually had to use them for things such as accidents damage (fixing auto or total loss payout) not so much. There were to many bad reviews regarding the important stuff, so I said nope.

Im still with State Farm. I did call to enquire about their classic car insurance. My car doesn't qualify due to not being old enough and not bing a showroom condition car. I was told if there was a total loss on the ITR id get "market value" and I know what that means