98-0148 (From Rice to Nice)

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
Stin1

Re: 98-0148 (From Rice to Nice)

Post by Stin1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:20 pm

Sweet ! Another update I missed using the new post option .

Vtecwreck

Post by Vtecwreck » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Coolhandluke, thanks for following along. That’s nothing but the truth, however I think I’ve had enough wrenching. I would like to start enjoying it.

Stin1, I know what you mean, I subscribed to almost all the current rebuild threads to stay on current. Thanks for viewing!

It’s been roughly a month since my last update. I haven’t really driven it much since the NC trip. Recently I took it out and there was a “thumping” sound coming from the passenger wheel well. Turns out the bushings are shot on the lower control arms, I also noticed a crack in the subframe. There’s a lot in store for the car coming up. I will be doing the 3rd 5-lug swap, engine and transmission swap, suspension overhaul, some more paint work and finishing touches. In retrospect I slapped the car together for the trip and although I’m glad it made it without any hiccups, I do now notice that there were some things that I overlooked. I have a lot to do before the snow comes. More updates coming very soon!

Here’s a recent photo
98-0148: DeRicing Project
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=264

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:22 pm

I still didn't learn. I missed this again. No updates on the new posts option.

Vtecwreck

Post by Vtecwreck » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:13 pm

I am conflicted!

I would love to continue restoring the car. This was my dream car and all, but I don’t feel like this is the right time to own it. One of my biggest issues at the moment is the lack of proper storage. There is no climate control where I keep the car and the moisture is killing me, I’m starting to build up surface rust on somethings in the engine bay. Secondly, the more time I spend in the car the more I notice how much it needs. Although I feel like I did a lot of work bringing this thing back, there’s so much left to do. These two things make it hard for me to enjoy the caR, and make me feel that someone else may be able to take better care of the car than I am currently. Coming up on my 2 year mark and I’ve only put less than 2K miles on the thing.

My options:

-Sell
-Trade (I’ve always wanted an Evo 9)
-Keep (Store/drive as is)

I’m not too sure as to what I will end up doing, but I have been considering making the car 100% stock and seeing if maybe I enjoy it more in that form.

Not much of an update, just would like to share where I am at with it and what is to come. Thanks for checking in!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=264

JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Post by JDMJNKY » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:26 am

Man glad to see it on the road. :trophy:

I hope you've stuck with it brother. I'd love to see your final vision unfold. Have you looked into the ebay car bags? will that not do the trick? If you can trade it, go ahead, but just keep in mind at some point or another all cars would need to be fixed. There's nothing wrong with the current avenue you've chosen, perhaps, just drive and restore as you go.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:21 am

I know with all the work we put into them it’s easy to elevate these cars and worry over their aging states. There’s a point to taking the best care we can of them but I believe they were designed to be driven, enjoyed and eventually used up. Denying anyone (or thing) their purpose is a form of cruelty. Better to have loved and lost and all.

There will undoubtedly be a small set of museum/collectors pieces preserved but for my part I know it won’t be my R. Embracing that is freeing to do what I want with it.

I believe we’re not far from a time when actually driving on roads will be increasingly restricted. My advice is to work to shape your R towards the form you want and suck all the enjoyment you can from it for as long as you can. You’re more likely to regret getting rid of it than you would enjoying it into the ground.

Seriously, just look at the forums, tally how many past owners stories you see “oh, I wish I never sold it” then check the RIP threads see if you can find one that says oh, I wish I never driven it.

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:33 pm

This last post was great! Puts a few things in perspective.

You are right. The global overloards are going to restrict driving as well as gas engines.

I used to think tomorrow will essentially be just like it was today. I've learned that's not the case. Things are changing fast. Enjoy each day with our cars, as well as other things in life.

Klasse

Post by Klasse » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:48 pm

It's an interesting debate, but I don't think existing petrol cars will go away quickly. Yes it won't be long until you can't buy a new one, but the sooner that happens the longer the petrol will last. I hope to see a massive switch to EVs asap so fun petrol cars be kept going
'97 DB8 Integra Type R, '97 EK1 Civic LXi
ex: '94 CD6 Accord SiR, '92 EG9 Civic SiR, '89 DA6 Integra XSi

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:56 am

Any pics of what it looked like when it was riced out?

Vtecwreck

Post by Vtecwreck » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:42 pm

JDMJNKY wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:26 am Man glad to see it on the road. :trophy:

I hope you've stuck with it brother. I'd love to see your final vision unfold. Have you looked into the ebay car bags? will that not do the trick? If you can trade it, go ahead, but just keep in mind at some point or another all cars would need to be fixed. There's nothing wrong with the current avenue you've chosen, perhaps, just drive and restore as you go.
JNKY thanks for your feedback, you'd be glad to know that I have kept the caR and was able to find a few spaces to store it throughout the years. See my next post for an update as to what has happened in the last 3 years.
aklackner wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:21 am I know with all the work we put into them it’s easy to elevate these cars and worry over their aging states. There’s a point to taking the best care we can of them but I believe they were designed to be driven, enjoyed and eventually used up. Denying anyone (or thing) their purpose is a form of cruelty. Better to have loved and lost and all.

There will undoubtedly be a small set of museum/collectors pieces preserved but for my part I know it won’t be my R. Embracing that is freeing to do what I want with it.

I believe we’re not far from a time when actually driving on roads will be increasingly restricted. My advice is to work to shape your R towards the form you want and suck all the enjoyment you can from it for as long as you can. You’re more likely to regret getting rid of it than you would enjoying it into the ground.

Seriously, just look at the forums, tally how many past owners stories you see “oh, I wish I never sold it” then check the RIP threads see if you can find one that says oh, I wish I never driven it.
You were right, looking back I would have absolutely regretted selling it. This car means a lot to me, being the first of my dream cars I acquired. Unfortunately, I haven't driven the car since a few weeks before my last update but hope to get back on the road later this year.
AndyD wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:56 am Any pics of what it looked like when it was riced out?
Noticed that the pictures have been lost in time. I will try my best to remember what pictures go where and upload them using the website as the host.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=264