VSM ITR build 01-0388

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
Insidiouseg6
Badge Number: 01-0388

Re: VSM ITR build 01-0388

Post by Insidiouseg6 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:45 am

Dave7CDMTYPER wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:31 pm What's your plan for the internals?
Just put a deposit with KMOD performance to build a K24 short block with 12.5:1 Wiseco pistons, Manley rods, Along with their ported PRB oil pump and all the necessary machine work.

As far as the head, it currently has Blueprint stage 2 cams and supertech valve train. Just gonna swap out the dual valve springs for a new set, change the valve seals, have the head resurfaced and inspected.

Should make for a solid upgrade in HP and torque. Thinking around the 280hp 190 tq range

DC231

Post by DC231 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Insidiouseg6 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:45 am
Dave7CDMTYPER wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:31 pm What's your plan for the internals?
Just put a deposit with KMOD performance to build a K24 short block with 12.5:1 Wiseco pistons, Manley rods, Along with their ported PRB oil pump and all the necessary machine work.

As far as the head, it currently has Blueprint stage 2 cams and supertech valve train. Just gonna swap out the dual valve springs for a new set, change the valve seals, have the head resurfaced and inspected.

Should make for a solid upgrade in HP and torque. Thinking around the 280hp 190 tq range

DC231

Post by DC231 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:50 pm

DC231 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:47 pm

What cylinder head is on your engine? The reason I ask is because depending on what cylinder head you use it will change your compression ratio. I had to use 13.6 Wiseco Pistons to net 12.5 compression in my K24 build because the cylinder head that I'm using has larger combustion chamber then a K24 cylinder head. Also you need to very closely check your valve to valve and piston to valve clearances and maximum VTC allowable with your cams.

Insidiouseg6

Post by Insidiouseg6 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:53 pm

DC231 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:50 pm
DC231 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:47 pm

What cylinder head is on your engine? The reason I ask is because depending on what cylinder head you use it will change your compression ratio. I had to use 13.6 Wiseco Pistons to net 12.5 compression in my K24 build because the cylinder head that I'm using has larger combustion chamber then a K24 cylinder head. Also you need to very closely check your valve to valve and piston to valve clearances and maximum VTC allowable with your cams.
Appreciate the insight. This is my first K24 build so any input is appreciated.
My current Motor is a full K20A Type R from a 01 DC5R. My plan is to use the same head, transmission, and misc. Components on the K24 block. What head were you running with your setup?

DC231

Post by DC231 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:20 pm

Insidiouseg6 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:53 pm Appreciate the insight. This is my first K24 build so any input is appreciated.
My current Motor is a full K20A Type R from a 01 DC5R. My plan is to use the same head, transmission, and misc. Components on the K24 block. What head were you running with your setup?
im running an RBC cylinder head with 4pistonracing pro156v2 port and rr3 cams. same setup as you on the bottom with 13.6wisecos and manley rods.. you will have a PRB cylinder head with your current setup. that the best out the box cylinder head besides the fd2 civic type R head. if you havent considered it now is the time to port your head. in naturally aspirated engines all the power is in the head/cams/intake/exhaust they need to work together. the intake manifold should do pretty well.. what size is your TB and what header are you running? most people go to big on TB sizing. my setup will be running a Hytech modified RRC intake manifold with an OEM type s throttle body ported to 68mm by Maxbore with matching Hytech header and stepped pipe. i sent out my head and intake manifold/TB when they were building my header to have all ports and gaskets matched.. im about to do the final assembly of the short block here in the coming days :moneyburn: :moneyburn:

Insidiouseg6

Post by Insidiouseg6 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:32 am

DC231 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:20 pm
Insidiouseg6 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:53 pm Appreciate the insight. This is my first K24 build so any input is appreciated.
im running an RBC cylinder head with 4pistonracing pro156v2 port and rr3 cams. same setup as you on the bottom with 13.6wisecos and manley rods.. you will have a PRB cylinder head with your current setup. that the best out the box cylinder head besides the fd2 civic type R head. if you havent considered it now is the time to port your head. in naturally aspirated engines all the power is in the head/cams/intake/exhaust they need to work together. the intake manifold should do pretty well.. what size is your TB and what header are you running? most people go to big on TB sizing. my setup will be running a Hytech modified RRC intake manifold with an OEM type s throttle body ported to 68mm by Maxbore with matching Hytech header and stepped pipe. i sent out my head and intake manifold/TB when they were building my header to have all ports and gaskets matched.. im about to do the final assembly of the short block here in the coming days :moneyburn: :moneyburn:
Sheesh that sounds like a killer setup! I have a 70mm S2 throttle body that is port matched to the S2 manifold. On the exhaust side I have an R*crew header with Hytech twinloop exhaust. What's a CNC port run nowadays if you don't mind me asking.

DC231

Post by DC231 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:35 am

Insidiouseg6 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:32 am
Sheesh that sounds like a killer setup! I have a 70mm S2 throttle body that is port matched to the S2 manifold. On the exhaust side I have an R*crew header with Hytech twinloop exhaust. What's a CNC port run nowadays if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks!! Yeah it's been a long time coming lol. I've been buying parts for the caR for the past 6 years and now I finally have time to start working on it.. Although I have mixed feelings now on how I want the caR to progress exterior wise considering parts availability. I have all the parts to restore it but I'm having a hard time justifying using all these BNIB parts I have on a shell that's got 4 brands on the title.

The cylinder head cost me 2350 in total with port and full ferrea valve train. It was 1250 for the port alone.

Insidiouseg6

Post by Insidiouseg6 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:20 pm

DC231 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:35 am
Insidiouseg6 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:32 am
Thanks!! Yeah it's been a long time coming lol. I've been buying parts for the caR for the past 6 years and now I finally have time to start working on it.. Although I have mixed feelings now on how I want the caR to progress exterior wise considering parts availability. I have all the parts to restore it but I'm having a hard time justifying using all these BNIB parts I have on a shell that's got 4 brands on the title.

The cylinder head cost me 2350 in total with port and full ferrea valve train. It was 1250 for the port alone.
I did the same with my shell. Bought a ton of BNIB parts for a salvage shell but at the end of the day, I enjoy driving it and seeing it the same way I had envisioned it when I purchased the shell. Just my 2 cents.

That's not a bad price hmmmm. I gotta see if I can manage the cost after a good chunk of change is going towards my block and I'm gonna be purchasing my girl a Ring at the end of the month. :moneyburn:

DC231

Post by DC231 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:34 am

Hell yeah I'm glad you enjoy it bro you have a beautiful caR!! I have envisioned mine as being completely original on the exterior (besides muffler) and interior with the engine bay being the only place with modifications. I have everything to do it including retaining power steering (mr2 electric pump) and heat and AC... I literally have hundreds of brand new OEM parts for the restoration, latches, cables, grommets, clips, nuts, bolts, trim, moldings, weatherstripping, cowl, bumper seals, taillight seals, all the door window rubber, quarter glasses, anything I could get that was for securing parts to the chassis as far as plastic clip in screw stays with new screws, emblems and probably more lol. I very meticulously disassembled and resealed/replaced the heater and AC boxes, went through my entire Chassis harness and removed any unnecessary wiring including all abs and srs wiring, disassembled and cleaned/resealed taillights, mounted under hood fuse panel under CDM airbag delete tray. Right now I'm working on getting the brake tuck done and final assembly of the short block.. I still got a lot of work ahead of me though.

Insidiouseg6

Post by Insidiouseg6 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:09 pm

Man I cannot wait for the final product. It sounds like a killer build. All the hard work will be worth it when you're out taking it for a spin!
DC231 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:34 am Hell yeah I'm glad you enjoy it bro you have a beautiful caR!! I have envisioned mine as being completely original on the exterior (besides muffler) and interior with the engine bay being the only place with modifications. I have everything to do it including retaining power steering (mr2 electric pump) and heat and AC... I literally have hundreds of brand new OEM parts for the restoration, latches, cables, grommets, clips, nuts, bolts, trim, moldings, weatherstripping, cowl, bumper seals, taillight seals, all the door window rubber, quarter glasses, anything I could get that was for securing parts to the chassis as far as plastic clip in screw stays with new screws, emblems and probably more lol. I very meticulously disassembled and resealed/replaced the heater and AC boxes, went through my entire Chassis harness and removed any unnecessary wiring including all abs and srs wiring, disassembled and cleaned/resealed taillights, mounted under hood fuse panel under CDM airbag delete tray. Right now I'm working on getting the brake tuck done and final assembly of the short block.. I still got a lot of work ahead of me though.