Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
Dc2-ProductionS
Badge Number: 97-00012

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:26 am

Looking great man! Cool to see us both working in the same spots and getting similar results!

Do you know what products you are going to use to coat the underside and wells? The transtar rubberized undercoating I used and works GREAT!

- 01-0590 ITR PY - Garage Queen
- 01-1058 ITR NHBP - Gone
- 97-0012 ITR CW - Princess in progress
- 98-1046 ITR RealTime Replica - #HomageR

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:32 am

Yeah your progress on your '97 has been pushing me to keep some progress going on this project.

When I cleaned the rust out of the interior I did a few coats of Rust Bullet automotive primer. It's a special urethane based primer that helps convert\seal rust. It's been very tough and its held up well so far. I plan to do the same on the underside but brushing it left brush stokes so I picked up a cheap HVLP turbine sprayer from HF. I'll see how that goes.

For a top coat I don't know yet, I'll check out Transtar. In large part what I go with will depend on how well the sprayer and I do laying the primer down.

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:51 pm

All the shit you guys are grinding away, is that just dirt and build up or is it OEM undercoat crap? I heard a good cleaner and power washer would be good to clean the wells? Or will that just leave whatever is left behind that you guys are grinding off?

Im starting to get antsy, hope to have mine back from paint in the next couple weeks. I might wait to do the wells and underside until after Expo.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm intentionally taking down most of the OEM rubberized undercoating and seam sealant on the shell.

The factory undercoating acts as a barrier but everything has a lifespan and once part of that barrier fails moisture can seep and get trapped inside. The remaining coating can actually end up masking additional damage. I've seen this in areas on my car where it wasn't obvious. There's even some opinions out there about regularly applying clear wax based undercoatings, instead of opaque permanent layers, in high moisture regions due to this issue. This car was a high mileage east coast car and it already had moderate rust in several places. So for me I'd rather do extra work now and not expect to see the rust issues coming back any time soon, if ever since I'm in SoCal.

I'm a bit obsessive, I'll enjoy knowing I did the project to my own standards, learned to do more for myself, and will trust the car more everyday on the street and track for it. I don't mean to say it makes any real sense or that it's the "right way". For the time and money I've put into this project it can only be considered a luxury. Like the Merovingian said "It's like wiping your ass with silk, I love it".

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Had a productive day.

9701TypeR

Post by 9701TypeR » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:57 pm

WOW cant wait to see the progress!!

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:36 pm

After making a lot of noise with the grinder yesterday I figured I’d try to take it easier on my neighbors and circled back to the front end.

Whoever slapped together repairs in the past had managed to strip the welded nuts that the front bumper support bolts to. When I pulled it apart the support was pretty much just sitting on random bolts acting as pins!

Since I have the radiator support is already off I cut the remaining spot welds on the frame rail ends and got them off. I already have new OEM replacements ready to go on after I clean the bay up hit the frame ends with weld through primer.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:34 pm

You are leaving no stone untouched. I know this isn't easy or fulfilling work now, but these efforts will insure the end result. :thumbup:

I need to redo my core support and more. :|
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Dc2-ProductionS
Badge Number: 97-00012

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:57 pm

Wow!! That belly pans looks great!!'

What did you use to sand? And how do your shoulders feel today? LOL
- 01-0590 ITR PY - Garage Queen
- 01-1058 ITR NHBP - Gone
- 97-0012 ITR CW - Princess in progress
- 98-1046 ITR RealTime Replica - #HomageR

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:15 pm

Dc2-ProductionS wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:57 pm Wow!! That belly pans looks great!!'

What did you use to sand? And how do your shoulders feel today? LOL
Many thanks. I used a knotted wire wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. My arms were still pretty exhausted by the time I finished that section. I can't wait to get back to it and knock more out but I managed to pick up a head cold so I doubt I'll be doing much on the ITR for at least a few days.