Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
aklackner

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by aklackner » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:49 pm

Still playing around. Had picked up this Eibach set a while back. Finally ran it down to have it serviced and now I’m process of getting it installed.

Had them loaded with 650/600 springs and rebuilt. Service said they were re-valved for the new rates as well. They provided the dyno sheets on them as well as some test data, so now on the to do list to learn how to read them. 😅

Started to get them installed. Remote reservoirs take a bit of work to run and locate. Rears were pretty straightforward. Next task is to set up my alignment platform, get height settled, rerun alignment. I’ll probably leave them set full open until Chuckwalla on April 1st. The open track format should provide a really good opportunity to experiment with settings and decide if I the JDM 23mm ARB is enough or if I want to order a hollow ASR bar.
Had to shift the ABS fuse box but I think reservoir mounting worked out pretty well and hoses are well secured.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:32 pm

Awesome! You will really enjoy the R2's but I'll note, two-way's are more work in adjusting to dial in. Also, I highly recommend corner balancing once the ride height is "close" and before your alignment.

I will pull out my track notebook to share my setup. There is also a great podcast listen from a gentleman named Lee Grimes from Koni, about how to pay attention to & adjusting two-way's, from SlipAngle:
https://anchor.fm/slipangle/episodes/Sl ... oni-e1kev2

More active discussion on the suspension thread here:
viewtopic.php?t=20
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:34 pm

aklackner wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:49 pm Still playing around. Had picked up this Eibach set a while back...
PS the rears look "backwards" from how I installed them. The current install will not be fun adjusting rear compression at the track, and it already required crawling under the car.
Type-R Expo

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:15 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:34 pm
PS the rears look "backwards" from how I installed them. The current install will not be fun adjusting rear compression at the track, and it already required crawling under the car.
Yeah I thought so too but it’s the way the instructions call to face them. Rear compression adjustment will require lifting unfortunately, rebound at least will be easier to access.

I’ll take a look at the resources you posted. I’m hoping to keep things simple trying to work something like this (found on winding road)

1. Set bump and rebound full soft
2. Do an out and in lap
3. Add bump in two click increments until the “feel” of steering improves, doing an out and in lap with each adjustment
4. Now add rebound in two sweep (or click) increments until car “feel” (driver confidence) improves
5. Back off by two clicks or more when lap time slows
6. Drive out/in laps for quick comparison (some drivers adapt swiftly to poorly handling cars, back-to-back comparison avoids driver input blurring the data)

And then hopefully once I have a rough setting tuning as listed below. Though it seems to be for Rwd, everything but acceleration on straight should be the same, where acceleration would probably need more front rebound and more rear compression to slow load transfer away from front.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:44 am

Here’s the damper dyno sheets if any one is interested.

The graph is 2 settings for each damper. Full open (both comp and rebound, represented by the cluster of lines closer to the x axis) and full closed
Front dampers are 35 and 36
Rear dampers are 33 and 34
I’ve recorded which damper is at each corner so I can try to even up based on dyno performance.

coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:31 pm

Instructions aside, based off personal experience, I would rotate the rear shocks 180* to allow better access to compression. I clocked a combine ~20k and likely 20-30x track events like this, zero issues.

I'll do you one better and ask our community members who work at Eibach to chime in. 8-)
Type-R Expo

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:13 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:31 pm Instructions aside, based off personal experience, I would rotate the rear shocks 180* to allow better access to compression. I clocked a combine ~20k and likely 20-30x track events like this, zero issues.

I'll do you one better and ask our community members who work at Eibach to chime in. 8-)
That’s great info, if there’s any way to make them easier to adjust I’m game. Right now access is terrible and I want to be able to set full open for trips to/from even if I’m not doing a lot of tweaking for a given day.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:19 pm

Got out on the road for the first time since Eibachs went on. Have to say massive improvement, especially on chopped up streets near me.

I actually had to tighten rebound up a couple clicks to reduce some of the bouncy float I had at full open. Much less harsh than the Koni setup despite significant jump in spring rate. I think this is due in large part to the Eibach bushed upper mounts. The karcepts ball bearing upper mount I used with the Konis transferred the initial “impact” very directly making even the softer springs feel more harsh than necessary.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:53 am

Friday (April 1) was no joke! :lol:
Another epic day out living the life!
This was a SoCal Driver’s Club event running Chuckwalla CCW. Can’t say enough good things. Open track all day, amazing cars, fast drivers. Pizza delivered in an M4 GTS

With the new to me Eibach suspension I felt like things really started to click for me. Second time at Chuck but first time running CCW and I cut 11 seconds off my best CW time. :D Still a lot of time out there running 2:11 but feel like the car is teaching me more now or I’m better able to hear what it’s telling me. Never ended up trying to tune the suspension, just set everything 1/2 way (4 of 7 clicks rebound, 5 of 10 compression). The car didn’t have have any glaring issues (other than a novice driver) so left it there all day.

Also I managed to get the IATs under control. After getting the control working before last event I had left it on and must have run through the tank on the 200mi drive to the track. Also tested the “Boost Juice” I had been buying and found it was around 30% not 50% claimed. So adjusted what I still had and mixed fresh bottles much closer to 50/50. Despite ambient being 10 degrees hotter (mid 80s) Peak IAT logged was around 174F. As I’ve been running 110 on the track Im pretty comfortable with this. If I run more as temps climb higher out here I’ll switch to C16 but feel this is pretty manageable since coolant and oil temps look really good.

Some video:
https://vimeo.com/695902707

The competition 🤣
Super cool driver of this GT4, offered me the keys, it was close but I just couldn’t get myself to take it out.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:17 pm

Last post 01-0386 was all covered in dust and dirty. This weekend we’ll be trackside and gotta look good so some detailing was required to convert from racecar to showcar. 😆