Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
aklackner

Re: Dumb, Stubborn, and bound to end up penniless…….

Post by aklackner » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:48 pm

Pleeeeenty of room Image

noahf

Post by noahf » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:34 pm

how much camber?

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:48 pm

noahf wrote:how much camber?
Probably a bit less than 2.5 in the rear, little under 3 up front.

9701TypeR

Post by 9701TypeR » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:05 pm

Always a source of Motivation :thumbup: :thumbup:

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:10 pm

Bit of a learning curve but really feel like I’m getting the hang of Assetto Corsa. Got to log some time on a mod of Big Willow with a separate mod of a k20 DC2.

Lap times started surprisingly comparable to what I had been putting down IRL but have been able to trim that down pretty well over sessions to hit a PB of 1:38.

It’s doubtful that this will translate back to IRL easily but I expect there are some real advantages to consequence free practice with skills like heel/toe, as well as exploring lines and limits. I’m hopeful it will support accessible driver analysis. Without the time pressure between sessions at a track event data can be more immediately reviewed while fresh in mind.

The data pulls right into AIM’s free RaceStudio 2 but you have to grab it after each session or seems to be overwritten.

In theory and as a single car in practice mode, it looks like I’m getting more comfortable getting to full throttle, where irl I was spending a lot of time coasting and at low throttle, but I’m still using the brakes like a light switch. Image

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:03 am

Track day fun

https://vimeo.com/679619911

So I do feel like the simulator has helped and I think seat time will help my sim performance as well but it certainly isn’t 1 to 1. The added input/sensations available in real life help tremendously but also comes with the tension of increased consequences.

Still a lot to work on including a failed header outlet that came apart after the last session. Means I won’t make it back out tomorrow, but hopefully I can get fixed and back together before Chuckwalla in 3 weeks.

DC231

Post by DC231 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:54 pm

aklackner wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:03 am Track day fun

https://vimeo.com/679619911

So I do feel like the simulator has helped and I think seat time will help my sim performance as well but it certainly isn’t 1 to 1. The added input/sensations available in real life help tremendously but also comes with the tension of increased consequences.

Still a lot to work on including a failed header outlet that came apart after the last session. Means I won’t make it back out tomorrow, but hopefully I can get fixed and back together before Chuckwalla in 3 weeks.
When I ordered my Hytech header I asked them to install a vband and they told me they strictly use donut gaskets because the vbands will break.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:48 pm

DC231 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:54 pm
When I ordered my Hytech header I asked them to install a vband and they told me they strictly use donut gaskets because the vbands will break.
Yeah I think that makes sense for a most cars. I think it's one of those things that yes vbands are superior and what you "should" use for "race" applications (with minimal movement), which tends to be what some fabricators have experience with. They are virtually leak free where gasketed connections will leak, under pressure or strain. However, on a car with rubber\non-solid mounts the flexibility of the joint provides some strain relief. Then again it's not like this failure was a tear\bend, to me it looks more like repeated heat cycle caused the weld to crack. No progress is free, you're always trading something.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:34 pm

Hand full of updates 😃:
Header outlet rewelded
New heat shield constructed for header
Hasport (lower) engine torque mounts
Works Bell 15mm steering spacer
AdvanX Personal steering wheel

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:30 pm

A bit of movie magic from Chuckwalla this past Friday (Mar. 11).
https://vimeo.com/687500390

And a few shots

It was a really fun day out.
I was with first timers, even though this was now the 6th trackday for me. This was actually the first event I signed up for late last year (after the lessons with Fastlane). Chuckwalla seemed bigger than Big Willow and the traffic wasn't as big an issue. While I love the power from the supercharger (I could just sit in 4th and never shift with plenty acceleration everywhere on the Chuckwalla), Intake temps are a limiting factor already with ambient temps above 70F. IATs after lunch hit 194 in 3 laps so I called it for the day. Would have love to spend a lot more time out there. Managed a 2:20, not a great time but really enjoyed.