Suspension tuning - dampers, spring rates, etc.

This forum contains various technical threads, how-tos, etc.
Little_Nolan

Re: Suspension tuning - dampers, spring rates, etc.

Post by Little_Nolan » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:44 pm

DC2Iggy wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:51 pm
Xian wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:28 pm Apologies if it’s on an earlier page… but what’s your current suspension setup and wheels/tires? Also, just to clarify, the unsettled feeling is bumps mid-turn or even when going straight? How’s the stability under hard braking (straight line)?
Only minor suspension mods:

Koni Yellows
GC 430/350
Skunk2 UCA
Rear Camber Arm

-2.5 front camber / 0 toe (i think...maybe a little bit of front toe)
-1 rear camber / again maybe 0 toe but i can't remember

The unsettled feeling is only when going straight. When the car is loaded on one side it has no issues. It feels fine under hard braking as well. I do also have a cusco diff so I'm not sure if that could be contributing to it or not.
The GC springs in those rates are both 7" lengths - Unloaded over bumps with factory top hats those springs will be loose. I would say working the rebound a little harder might slow things down a bit - IDK.
Current: 97-00305, '19 ZR2 2.8L Duramax, '97 EX Sedan

Previous: 97-0322, 97 DB8R, 98-0197, CR-154

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:38 pm

Xian wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:45 am
Yep, agreed that bottoming shouldn’t be an issue at that sorta height.

Also agreed that it’s time to start looking at other parts and prying on stuff with a bar/screwdriver to see what moves. I’d look over everything… upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, compliance bushing, etc. in an effort to see if something has some play in it. Could also be a loose camber adjustment at the front or a worn toe link bushing (or RTA bushing) at the rear.
I'm hoping it's not bushing related as I just replaced most of them and have less than 1000 kms on them. I guess there is always the possibility. Good idea on the bar/screw driver. I'll try that.
Little_Nolan wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:44 pm The GC springs in those rates are both 7" lengths - Unloaded over bumps with factory top hats those springs will be loose. I would say working the rebound a little harder might slow things down a bit - IDK.
I have the ground control extended top hats. There is no play in the springs when unloaded.

Little_Nolan

Post by Little_Nolan » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:59 pm

Disregard my comment related to the springs then lol.

Have you played around with the dampening at all?
Current: 97-00305, '19 ZR2 2.8L Duramax, '97 EX Sedan

Previous: 97-0322, 97 DB8R, 98-0197, CR-154

Xian

Post by Xian » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:52 am

DC2Iggy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:38 pm
Xian wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:45 am
Yep, agreed that bottoming shouldn’t be an issue at that sorta height.

Also agreed that it’s time to start looking at other parts and prying on stuff with a bar/screwdriver to see what moves. I’d look over everything… upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, compliance bushing, etc. in an effort to see if something has some play in it. Could also be a loose camber adjustment at the front or a worn toe link bushing (or RTA bushing) at the rear.
I'm hoping it's not bushing related as I just replaced most of them and have less than 1000 kms on them. I guess there is always the possibility. Good idea on the bar/screw driver. I'll try that.
Little_Nolan wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:44 pm The GC springs in those rates are both 7" lengths - Unloaded over bumps with factory top hats those springs will be loose. I would say working the rebound a little harder might slow things down a bit - IDK.
I have the ground control extended top hats. There is no play in the springs when unloaded.
Did you have the same instability before you replaced the bushings? (Yeah, I’m grasping at this point)

Good suggestion earlier about a potential lack of damping depending on where you have the shocks adjusted currently.
Christian - Closet Honda fanboi in FL

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:06 pm

Xian wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:52 am
Did you have the same instability before you replaced the bushings? (Yeah, I’m grasping at this point)

Good suggestion earlier about a potential lack of damping depending on where you have the shocks adjusted currently.
Unfortunately the car came with a couple of blown bushings that made it impossible to drive on the track. I've played around with the damping and it does not change the feeling drastically. Softening the damping makes it a bit better over the bumps.

audipwr1

Post by audipwr1 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:28 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:30 pm
907ITR wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:07 pm Interesting. Maybe I'll be making a stop to the dealership to buy OEM bushings before they disappear. Spoon also makes a bushing set, and it's only $170, I've never been a fan of most of the things available on the aftermarket. Spoon is one of the manufacturers I would trust when it comes to something like that.

Age definitely plays a factor though, my doors are already starting to sag a bit and the windows are rattling when rolled down. Definitely on my to-do list this winter.
Ping Cris @ Acura Parts Express or Chris @ Kingpin Machine. Both support ITR Expo and can do two options:
1.) Buy OEM bushings or complete arms for self-install (Acura Parts Express)
2.) Buy arms with already installed spherical or OEM bushings (Kingpin Machine)

I'm not skilled at pressing bushings other than RTA's, so I went with a combo of new OEM arms (Rear LCA's, Rear Sway Bar, Rear Compliance / Toe) and new OEM via Kingpin (Front LCA's.)
Does Cris @ Acura have an email he uses for parts.
I need to
1. Refresh all bushings (thoughts on what ones (or do all) is best?)
2. Need coilovers (weekend spirit driving and track, but old man comfort).

Is there a consensus on good coilovers for #2 - I wouldnt mind a slight ride height reduction too (mostly for bling bling look, but not slammed).

Last honda (in 2001 with my EF hatch) I ran ground control setup - worked fine, but wonder if world has evolved since then

Thank you

aw614

Post by aw614 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:29 pm

audipwr1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:28 pm
coolhandluke wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:30 pm
907ITR wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:07 pm Interesting. Maybe I'll be making a stop to the dealership to buy OEM bushings before they disappear. Spoon also makes a bushing set, and it's only $170, I've never been a fan of most of the things available on the aftermarket. Spoon is one of the manufacturers I would trust when it comes to something like that.

Age definitely plays a factor though, my doors are already starting to sag a bit and the windows are rattling when rolled down. Definitely on my to-do list this winter.
Ping Cris @ Acura Parts Express or Chris @ Kingpin Machine. Both support ITR Expo and can do two options:
1.) Buy OEM bushings or complete arms for self-install (Acura Parts Express)
2.) Buy arms with already installed spherical or OEM bushings (Kingpin Machine)

I'm not skilled at pressing bushings other than RTA's, so I went with a combo of new OEM arms (Rear LCA's, Rear Sway Bar, Rear Compliance / Toe) and new OEM via Kingpin (Front LCA's.)
Does Cris @ Acura have an email he uses for parts.
I need to

Is there a consensus on good coilovers for #2 - I wouldnt mind a slight ride height reduction too (mostly for bling bling look, but not slammed).

Last honda (in 2001 with my EF hatch) I ran ground control setup - worked fine, but wonder if world has evolved since then

Thank you
Acura Express parts is where Cris is at https://www.acuraexpressparts.com/

Bushings, I would go Spoon, Mugen, or OEM in any order if you want to keep it closer to OEM. The advantage to Spoon they do have a bushing kit with everything included vs individually pricing each part if that is more convenient for you vs buying it individually and having to deal with parts delays for say one specific bushing.
https://spoonusa.com/spoon-suspension-b ... k9-dc2-db8
-Andrew Wong

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:50 pm

audipwr1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:28 pm I need to

Is there a consensus on good coilovers for #2 - I wouldnt mind a slight ride height reduction too (mostly for bling bling look, but not slammed)...
Option 1, Koni Yellows, Ground Control (RC) sleeves, and Eibach springs, are a tried and true setup. Easily rebuilt (uncommon for most suspension setups), easily adjustable both in ride height via GC or change rates via springs, or even revalve to pair with stiffer springs.

I would reference my prior posts for spring rate recs for comfort, but note, "comfortable" is relative butt dyno metric.

Option 2, higher grade suspension via used.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

audipwr1

Post by audipwr1 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:51 pm

Thanks - going GC setup (had that on my EF hatch in 2001, and my 96 GSR back in the day).

They will sell Koni yellows set up for top adjust in rear if you ask for them btw

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:34 pm

audipwr1 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:51 pm Thanks - going GC setup (had that on my EF hatch in 2001, and my 96 GSR back in the day).

They will sell Koni yellows set up for top adjust in rear if you ask for them btw
Nice tip, we should probably share your purchase to document for a buyers guide, etc.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171