ITR Rear LCA - Dynamic Toe - Sphericals

This forum contains various technical threads, how-tos, etc.
not_a_k
Badge Number: 97-091 (past)

ITR Rear LCA - Dynamic Toe - Sphericals

Post by not_a_k » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:48 am

Hi all, first post on the new forum…glad it’s here. I previously owned a DC4 and later 97-091 (the sunroof ‘97).

I’m in the market for another ITR and looking at a specific car in particular. This car has essentially all of the suspension bushings replaced with spherical bearings which has led me to ponder the rear LCA effects.

I’m stretching back in my memory a decade and a half, but as I recall the ITR used the specific rear LCA that it did in order to gain some dynamic toe on turn-in. I’d love to hear any details on this if anyone has tested or measured it under compression. Again, stretching back, this was allowed by a specific bushing deflection unique to this LCA design.

I wonder then if this would be compromised or altered in a negative way with spherical bearings as a replacement? I’d love to hear commentary from anyone who has specifically experienced swapping from stock arms to sphericals on the LCA’s, as well.

aw614

Re: ITR Rear LCA - Dynamic Toe - Sphericals

Post by aw614 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:32 pm

I could have sworn on the JDM Integra, all trims, used that eyelet LCA and not the fork style.
-Andrew Wong

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Re: ITR Rear LCA - Dynamic Toe - Sphericals

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:25 am

not_a_k wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:48 am Hi all, first post on the new forum…glad it’s here. I previously owned a DC4 and later 97-091 (the sunroof ‘97).

I don't recognize your SN, but I recall this car. Were you in Indiana or South Carolina? Two of the later owners were out of SC.

not_a_k wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:48 am ...I’m in the market for another ITR and looking at a specific car in particular. This car has essentially all of the suspension bushings replaced with spherical bearings which has led me to ponder the rear LCA effects.

I’m stretching back in my memory a decade and a half, but as I recall the ITR used the specific rear LCA that it did in order to gain some dynamic toe on turn-in. I’d love to hear any details on this if anyone has tested or measured it under compression. Again, stretching back, this was allowed by a specific bushing deflection unique to this LCA design.

I wonder then if this would be compromised or altered in a negative way with spherical bearings as a replacement? I’d love to hear commentary from anyone who has specifically experienced swapping from stock arms to sphericals on the LCA’s, as well.
Good memory. Yes, the OEM ITR rear LCA was unique, and yes- it requires specific labor to press a spherical bushing. I have previously sought support from high quality spherical shops like Kingpin Machine, who advised against pressing spherical. Kingpin recommended going aftermarket LCA to then press in a spherical.

I'm not aware of anyone measuring OEM rubber bushing deflection. I took advice from Erik95LS years ago to run after market rear toe arms to improve deflection under heavy braking on track.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171