1990 civic Si - period correct build, what parts?

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
oddomatik
Badge Number: 98-0542

Re: 1990 civic Si - period correct build, what parts?

Post by oddomatik » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:16 am

When I was 16 I had a black Si with an LS swap that matched my baby - 88 Black CRX Si. They looked good parked in the garage together. Didn't get to drive it much but it was a fun car.

Chuckwalla is a blast, a track I've probably spent the most time on.
ITR (98-0542) | NA1 NSX | RT4WD | EK Hatch
240z | 190E 2.3-16V | SpecE30 | RAM 3500 | CB550

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:11 pm

oddomatik wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:16 am When I was 16 I had a black Si with an LS swap that matched my baby - 88 Black CRX Si. They looked good parked in the garage together. Didn't get to drive it much but it was a fun car.

Chuckwalla is a blast, a track I've probably spent the most time on.
I do enjoy chuckwalla a lot, even with ~100whp. I would like to make it back there in the S2000 and lay down a flyer, but the civic has been so fun. (and cheaper)

I went to Chuck on May 20th and 21st. It was pretty warm with temps peaking close to 100 degrees. I rolled out with my buddy in his e30. I still haven't posted any footage as I've been so busy with life and moving. Anyways, I did 2:08.6 on the clockwise direction. Not exactly proud of that time but was gradually leaning into the car plus there was traffic. The next day I did a 2:06.64 going counter clockwise, which was more inline with what the car can do. In cooler weather, and a little better driving, 2:05s are for sure possible. I kind of want to do TT6 with Nasa at Chuck, and a 2:05 would win by some margin based on historical times. All laps done on Rt660s btw.

Haven't done a track day since then, it has been too hot. However, there's a possibility of a local event on October 21st.

Just been tinkering here and there.

I bought a vband clamp so I can use the turn down that came with the exhaust:

Bought this kartek shift light for shits and gigs (need to wire it next):

Recently, I installed full spherical arms and bushings from PCI. I didn't take any pics as I was in a crunch and it took a good while to install. In the next month, I am going to do a deep clean of the wheel wells and engine bay, so I'll take pics then.

So after waiting 7 months, my search for Panasport ProRally 14x7s ended. Randomly, three sets popped up in SoCal. I bought two sets, and my crazy brain wants to still buy the third. We shall see. I wouldn't really consider these sought after, but I think the period correct goal of mine makes collecting them fun. Both sets were pretty rough but I only spent $125 per wheel. The tires are so old on both sets, seems to have hit the track at some point in the past. The offsets are different between the two sets. I'll measure the offsets soon enough and weigh them. Looking on the inside of both sets, the spoke design is a little different as well. Makes me want to enter a rabbit hole of learning how to identify different generations of these Panasports.

Fun article about Minilites, Watanabes, and Panasports:
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/0 ... l-the-rest

I had the tires dismounted on the lower offset ones. From there I'll clean them and get Falken Rt660s mounted soon.

The before and after on cleaning/polishing one:

Additionally, I found the seats I wanted. I do consider these rare but there's no real interest in them. I only paid 350 a seat. I seem to have fallen into collecting old parts that really aren't that popular, but in line with my vision. Similar to the Panasports, I have fun searching for this stuff. So they are Momo Acropolis VTRs. with build dates in 2002. I am pretty stoked.

New single car garage is tough but I kind of like the vibe. I store the Ef at my dad's house currently.

More to come!

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:25 am

I had a chance to mess with the car some more today. I cleaned up one set of the panasports and wanted to test fit them on the car. My main concern was caliper clearance on the front. Granted I don't have massive brakes or anything but have some bolt on DPHA wilwood calipers on the front. They still use a 10.2 inch integra rotor size but when dealing with 14 inch wheels, there's still a risk of them not working.

Here's the lower offset set. They are still rough, but these are old. Patina is cool in this thread though.

The test fit was done with an 8mm spacer, which I had handy. It worked perfectly with but wouldn't work without. Its not so much of a spoke issue but the barrel. The barrel gets thicker near the spokes causing the wheel to make contact with the caliper.

So from there I decided to try the higher offset wheel (the higher offset set has tires still). I decided to stack two 8mm spacers just for the test fit, and it worked. I am hopeful a 15mm would still work. Ill take the $75 gamble and buy some 15mm spacers. This way I can have the correct spacers to run either set.

:o

I am thinking of getting 205/55/14 Nt01s. I believe those will fit super nice with the low offset set. I will probably need some additionally camber on the front and back but nothing crazy.

But let's just talk about these Hoosiers that came on the higher offset set. These things are absurdly fat for a 14x7 wheel. So I had to get some pictures on them on the car. They are 225/50/14s R6s. This compound nor that size are made anymore. These are fat and look so sick.

I also installed one of the Momo seats. I'll probably rock one for a good while. I still need rails and a mount for the passenger side. I'll go with PCI again, but I'll take my time on that, as I get no utility from having two buckets.

Given these are from 2002, there's some minor issues. Overall in good shape for their age. The lining on one side was coming apart so I used some liquid stitch to bring it back to normal. From inspecting it, they originally used glue in this specific area.

While the liquid stitch dried:

Full picture (So Sick):

I need to do a full vacuum of the car and a wash soon.

I am really enjoying this build. Its simple but my plan is working out.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:40 am

I'm thoroughly enjoying your rebuild fun as well. I totally dig the theme. It gives me flashbacks to one of my first daily drivers, an '89 Civic Std in this red. 4spd and all.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:25 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:40 am I'm thoroughly enjoying your rebuild fun as well. I totally dig the theme. It gives me flashbacks to one of my first daily drivers, an '89 Civic Std in this red. 4spd and all.
Maybe you can drive this bad boi one day. :beer:

So I had some down time at work and I was lurking the Nasa forums, and I went back to posts from 2003-2005. I noticed I need to source a neuspeed front strut bar. Seems all the efs were rocking one during that time.

I found this one, but I aint paying more than 100 bucks for one. I can't believe the current bid is at 280... :hammer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404551704505?h ... R9j78NToYg

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:42 pm

Just some wheel stuff today.

new 205/55/14 Nto1s mounted

15x8 w/ 205/50/15 Rt660s vs 14x7 with 205/55/14.

some heat tape on the weights

8mm spacer needed to clear calipers

these look good
ImageImage

the next project:

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:50 pm

So I did a thing..... not sure if I will follow thru with this one, but it's the hardest part to find for the conversion. :lol:

d16 (sohc) Weber/Solex/SKracing/Dellorto carb TWM manifold

Vtecwreck

Post by Vtecwreck » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:52 pm

This thing is nice! Congrats on your progress so far. Love me an “ef” hatch!
98-0148: DeRicing Project
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=264

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:10 pm

Vtecwreck wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:52 pm This thing is nice! Congrats on your progress so far. Love me an “ef” hatch!
Thanks!

Got some updates from the last couple of weeks.

I found a non-vtec sohc ZC from a DC1, essentially an OBD1 jdm version of a d16a6. I've been cleaning it and I bought all the maintenance items needed. I'll install once I just everything fully cleaned and ready.

I stripped the valve cover, and want to get it super clean and give a brushed aluminum look. the oxidation spots are difficult.

I picked up a Rennstall shift knob. I think it will look great once I get my FLP shifter in the mail. (backordered)

I installed the Stack tachometer today. My goal here is minimalism. I'll just have the single tach with three dummy lights: CEL, oil pressure, and coolant temp. No speedo and no gas gauge on the bezel. I am going to install a fuel gauge in the glovebox.

measure twice, cut once.

See yah!

JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Post by JDMJNKY » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:45 pm

Cool updates I dig it. Love the panasports on there.