1999 HONDA CIVIC SI - for why? Idiot alert.

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Re: 1999 HONDA CIVIC SI - for why? Idiot alert.

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:56 pm

Thanks sir.

HAHA I don't mind the questions. I usually like to make sure I've answered them all. I don't want people to have the wrong impression when I overlook them by mistake.

I definitely agree. When restoration or purchase turns into a trophy, I'm out. Nothing wrong with preserving a gem, but like 2 miles a year is ridiculous.

absolutely. I literally had 90% of the supporting parts all ready. Ive been an ek lobbyists all my life so naturally we have some extras LOL

The B20Vs are extremely impressive. please don't let me take anything away from what intrigued you about, they're just not my cup of tea. My ultimate RR engine hopefully will be a B20 on ITBs non V.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:13 pm

Could you please elaborate on “- I ditched the em1 subframe in favor of the ex, as I prefer a traction bra over "rigid" LCA “ as well as the abs Canadian add on? I am guessing you just used the harnesses from that sedan? I don’t think I have ever seen a abs Usdm 96-00 civic. I remember the 92-95 civics with them. They used the integra motor mount and a different bracket vs. any of the other civics.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:27 pm

Stin1 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:13 pm Could you please elaborate on “- I ditched the em1 subframe in favor of the ex, as I prefer a traction bra over "rigid" LCA “ as well as the abs Canadian add on? I am guessing you just used the harnesses from that sedan? I don’t think I have ever seen a abs Usdm 96-00 civic. I remember the 92-95 civics with them. They used the integra motor mount and a different bracket vs. any of the other civics.
EM1 shares the JDM EK9 Front LCA. Known as the rigid LCA. I don't care for that piece so I will use STD. LCAs found on the civic except si.

On the contrary yes, ABS was an option, but STD in Canada. In fact a client had a silver USDM civic EX AT w/ ABS. The sedan in the US also came w/ ABS as you mentioned, which is where I sourced my system. ALL 99-00 Civics EX/SI are the same in terms of wiring except for models w/ options. Dash harness will be one, for instance an EM1 is pre-loaded w/ abs connections, however, the cluster harness and firewall harness is not.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:33 pm

INTERior THE DRAGON
For starters lots had to be done with the interior and once I fully grasped the task at hand converting/adding ABS dash removal was imminent. Removing the dash wasn’t a surprise because I knew about the missing AC components- either way the dash was coming out. Even writing this I can think of one more reason to pul it yet again.

Carpet was hideous and I had to pull it, I was not going to waste my time cleaning it when I already owned new carpet. The back seats were sold (I had a nicer set at my buddies in Bakersfield). Front seats were sold. As much as I would’ve liked to keep the EM1 seats I had envisioned USDM ITR fronts in this car. But, I couldn’t justify the price for this build, at this stage. Thanks to the FB marketplace I did find a set of bucket seats and rails for $200/250, also in Bakersfield.

• Harness, AC in, carpet out

• Le carpet

• Lightly dirty, but for the price, no complaints.

• rob Peter to pay paul...recommissioning items from a past build

• dash in, sound deadening in, ITR linkage in added rear compartment ac ducts. nothing like a comfortable & quiet weekend racer

• Junkyard find

• removed old seatbelts, no pics of the new ones.

• did some clean up and replaced rear speakers.

• EM1 Donor doors I purchased from Chad when I owned the black EM1 came in handy.

• purchased a huge paper weight & accs.....didn't think it through but good to have on standby I guess. Not sure if I'll just use the ABS cluster or swap everything ABS related into the SI housing

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:16 am

Nice progress!

The perfect candidate for your goals!

Is that an aftermarket carpet?

Is your son helping out?

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:53 pm

Thanks man! sorting the small things always kick your butt. The carpet is aftermarket, this mold was a little crooked but usually I have no complaints about it. I did a lot of this after hours so no, he hasn't helped at all. These days he's heavily into gaming HAHA.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:20 pm

Random
  • Restored an ek9 radiator from HMO
- straightened as many fins as I could.

• spiffed up the cowl & seal

• Exhaust Shield clean up

• Retrofitting some OEM HL's

-test fit

-re cleared

• door pillar trims

• found some mirrors in the car. nearly trashed them thinking they were std. DC2. After a test fit they were in fact EK mirrors.

• Color changing the grill

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:13 pm

Love the progress! The attention to detail is top-notch!

How hard was it to retrofit the HID headlights?

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:03 pm

AndyD wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:13 pm Love the progress! The attention to detail is top-notch!

How hard was it to retrofit the HID headlights?
Old & picky has its benefits sometimes lol

Hardest part about a retrofit that I've ran across was separating the lenses and keeping them clean, that stuff can easily travel and make a mess of things. Everything else is just careful labor.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:05 am

Happy Resurrection day to all my brothers and sisters in Christ, Happy Easter to all celebratory parties.

POWERplant
Not original but a B16A2 nonetheless.
  • would a CTR header for a b16 be considered oem+ ? Either way my previous SI had the ITR header & exhaust and I'd like to do that to this car as well.

• Overtime I rebuilt the full swap, started w/ the trans back in 2019/2020. I didn't know I'd be getting an EM1 but having a trans on standby evidently doesn't hurt. The Longblock was going to be a B16A I had on hand but a friend in Lompoc who buys cars and parts them out gave me a "deal" on a complete A2. It was a 6hr round trip, but it's about supporting your network. The A2 Short-block, rebuilt and assembled new years eve (2022), the cylinder head arrived from the machine shop Feb of this year.

• Feb 11. engine is in

• Feb17. She's ready to be towed out on all 4's

• and now, real time, current situation, I need to stop messing up the clear on the front bumper lol

• Found some spats

• My inspo. for the build

• a render of my own- a little heavy on the retro pixelation :oops: