1999 HONDA CIVIC SI - for why? Idiot alert.

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Re: 1999 HONDA CIVIC SI - for why? Idiot alert.

Post by JDMJNKY » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:46 pm

The repair before the reparation

:cry: :cry: :cry: In hindsight, a repair of both sides using glass would have bypassed the below non-sense. I watched so many school of YouTube videos, I've concluded they were all lazy shortcuts, for the most part. Simplified/my conclusion, I could have just Multi-layered the underside for added strength w/a single layer on the front to fill areas. :hammer:

Passenger

Driver
- This side will require more work as the upper section is starting to crack as well. I may just melt those areas together and epoxy over it.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:53 pm

Headliner in along w/ some interior pcs. Starting to feel wholesome again. :D Sunroof slider will be last on the list, in case you were wondering.

Started playing with the glass today! what a learning curve. :shock: :shock: :shock:

1st piece, 1st attempt; I bit off more than I could chew. I'll let this cure and correct. - single layer

2nd piece, 2nd attempt; I've decided to break it down in smaller sections. - two layers

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:01 am

Went out to the g*rage to check and see how fast the resin was curing, I was shocked to find it was dry to the touch. Eager to right some wrongs I laid on some more glass. If all goes well (fingers crossed), I should have freshly finished door panels by Sunday night!! YEEEEET!!! Tomorrow, I'll being brainstorming ways to repair the armrest tabs and/or recreate fresh melting tabs, I feel I may have butchered them too much for a screw washer setup ATM.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:31 pm

Live update

tried to speed the curing process... while fiberglass has high heat resistance, the base is plastic! Straight sped past logic on that one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If anyone has a driver door panel / arm rest piece for sale please in any condition please Lmk.

moved onto the driver door stress areas until I locate some new arm bars :hammer:

DC231

Post by DC231 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:17 am

JDMJNKY wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:31 pm Live update

tried to speed the curing process... while fiberglass has high heat resistance, the base is plastic! Straight sped past logic on that one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If anyone has a driver door panel / arm rest piece for sale please in any condition please Lmk.

moved onto the driver door stress areas until I locate some new arm bars :hammer:

Damn man it sucks to see that happen. The type of work that you are performing there must be a huge learning curve. Keep up the amazing work brother :trophy:

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:25 pm

The door panels always break like that out here from the Arizona sun. My beater ex needed a regulator and when I was already aware the panel felt like you were going to fall through. I ended borrowing a spare and planned on doing something similar. I bought a pair in the past that were repaired with a fiber like tape that was rock solid.

This is what I did. I took 4 damaged panels to create two perfect panels. I used the top dx portion that had no power locks and uses a smaller handle. Similar to using rs door locks on the integra ( thieves use that switch to break in ). I cut the small plastic buttons and the top and bottom panel come apart. So my end result is oem power window on the bottom no power lock switch but I have power windows. If you do what I did you just need to plug the switch in and keep it behind the handle for the locks to function properly
DC6B0EBA-3E90-4CDF-9941-27A6993FF7A1.jpeg
DC6B0EBA-3E90-4CDF-9941-27A6993FF7A1.jpeg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 897 times

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:18 pm

DC231 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:17 am Damn man it sucks to see that happen. The type of work that you are performing there must be a huge learning curve. Keep up the amazing work brother :trophy:
Thanks Man, it's a huge curve. Learning what a good lay down looks like, finding the apex between mix time, workable time & cure time, what a properly cured job looks like, my struggles so far... I'm trying. The upper sections today are looking very good. I wont touch them, rush them, or move on until.

I did hit the storage and I ended up having a spare passenger which I've begun to repair. no driver side sadly except for a pair of CTR panels, but I'm not hacking those up for this cause. I'll hit the junk tomorrow.

Stin1 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:25 pm The door panels always break like that out here from the Arizona sun. My beater ex needed a regulator and when I was already aware the panel felt like you were going to fall through. I ended borrowing a spare and planned on doing something similar. I bought a pair in the past that were repaired with a fiber like tape that was rock solid.

This is what I did. I took 4 damaged panels to create two perfect panels. I used the top dx portion that had no power locks and uses a smaller handle. Similar to using rs door locks on the integra ( thieves use that switch to break in ). I cut the small plastic buttons and the top and bottom panel come apart. So my end result is oem power window on the bottom no power lock switch but I have power windows. If you do what I did you just need to plug the switch in and keep it behind the handle for the locks to function properly DC6B0EBA-3E90-4CDF-9941-27A6993FF7A1.jpeg
No sir you're a super duper gangster! No way, Neva Eva, do I want to join 4 into 1. I'm struggling on the easiest section and you've built a whole door :lol:

Fathers Day gift to meeeee! #waitforit #moretorture

Fathers day gift to myself. Dad jokes be like, don't yonaka it, until you try it! :D
- Until I can "fab" up my exhaust this will get the car through smog/dyno/etc.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:34 pm

A bit of DEJAVU for us all.

El yonke time, sadly someone got to the mint door panel before i did. i was left scouring the yard for any civic 2dr. i didn't even care if it had a fraction of panel, as long as what i needed was in useable condition. All the cars on this lot were peeled apart, so many "honda lovers" and they don't even know how to properly remove parts without destroying them. :hammer: I dreaded the thought of having to drive to another location.

Nearly at the end of the line, it was then i spotted two more coupes - there's hope. i was so focused on this particular one, thinking 'awe man, they've already took off with the panels,' as i peered in through the windows i didn't notice much else on approach. BUT, as I turn to leave, I spot this marginally eaten door panel laying on the floor. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Now we wait for some epoxy and glass to arrive.

DC231

Post by DC231 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:05 pm

JDMJNKY wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:34 pm A bit of DEJAVU for us all.

El yonke time, sadly someone got to the mint door panel before i did. i was left scouring the yard for any civic 2dr. i didn't even care if it had a fraction of panel, as long as what i needed was in useable condition. All the cars on this lot were peeled apart, so many "honda lovers" and they don't even know how to properly remove parts without destroying them. :hammer: I dreaded the thought of having to drive to another location.

Nearly at the end of the line, it was then i spotted two more coupes - there's hope. i was so focused on this particular one, thinking 'awe man, they've already took off with the panels,' as i peered in through the windows i didn't notice much else on approach. BUT, as I turn to leave, I spot this marginally eaten door panel laying on the floor. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Now we wait for some epoxy and glass to arrive.
Man what a relief!! Yards are the same here in Jacksonville FL. No regard to proper disassembly. I do love finding pre pulled parts though hahaha. My stepson's current engine (k24a2 in EM2) was found in the yard sitting on the subframe between 2 rows with no TSX to be found.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:37 pm

DC231 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:05 pm Man what a relief!! Yards are the same here in Jacksonville FL. No regard to proper disassembly. I do love finding pre pulled parts though hahaha. My stepson's current engine (k24a2 in EM2) was found in the yard sitting on the subframe between 2 rows with no TSX to be found.
Huge relief. Not sure if it's the same in FL but it seems DP's are highly coveted here in CA.

haha you'd be a fool to pass that up, right!? No labor needed to pull it, a fraction of the price and it being a k24, that my friend is win win!