1999 HONDA CIVIC SI - for why? Idiot alert.

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Re: 1999 HONDA CIVIC SI - for why? Idiot alert.

Post by coolhandluke » Thu May 25, 2023 9:40 am

JDMJNKY wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:17 am Repairing interior pcs and prepping to repair some.
glove box edge crack - JB weld epoxy + layered sheets of paper towel
dash side trim clip legs - super glue + baking soda (this blew my mind :trophy: )
This was news to me, thank you for sharing! I imagine DIY repairs will be critical going forward now that Honda has discontinued most parts for this community.

JDMJNKY wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:17 am Anyone know of a good fiberglass "repair kit," or have any tips on door panel repair? I'd like to change the fabric on the door panels and reinforce the armor while doing so.

can't find my fabric, but I plan to start w/ passenger DP as it's the worst one.
@y0shi comes to mind. I'll reach out.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Post by JDMJNKY » Thu May 25, 2023 12:59 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:40 am

This was news to me, thank you for sharing! I imagine DIY repairs will be critical going forward now that Honda has discontinued most parts for this community.

@y0shi comes to mind. I'll reach out.
Me too lol! I trimmed a piece of paper towel obviously, split the layers, and laid them over epoxy. It's very strong. I hope more companies step into quality repops, without them it would almost be pointless attempting to restore cars to "like new."

Thanks Appreciated. I'll hunt for some of his stuff as well.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri May 26, 2023 11:32 am

Not the best work but still amazed at the hold power of BS & SG. Used my dremel to try and tidy it up where it mattered.

this is incredibly strong.

ph8ed4life

Post by ph8ed4life » Sun May 28, 2023 8:53 pm

Baking soda and super glue huh? I cant wait to try this!

On the door panels, I restored/made a good door panel our of two different light grey ones for an EK coupe I had. I had access to a case of 'outdated' E6000 clear adhesive. I would lay it on layer by layer until the plastic had rigidity to it. It felt rear solid and fit the door well. I've dreamt about making door panels alone; they are so hard to find and make or break the interior rest on our vintage of Hondas.

I'm about to go down this road again for my ITR door panels, as I found a mint pass side non R panel that needs structural repairs. Then, replicate the insert material or do something slightly custom but tasteful.

And, big cheers to this writeup! As well, years ago I restored a theft recovery Black EM1 using a rolled EM1. Learned a lot in that process!

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Tue May 30, 2023 1:37 am

ph8ed4life wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:53 pm Baking soda and super glue huh? I cant wait to try this!
I wish I made that up. lol It works wonders.
ph8ed4life wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:53 pmOn the door panels, I restored/made a good door panel our of two different light grey ones for an EK coupe I had. I had access to a case of 'outdated' E6000 clear adhesive. I would lay it on layer by layer until the plastic had rigidity to it. It felt rear solid and fit the door well. I've dreamt about making door panels alone; they are so hard to find and make or break the interior rest on our vintage of Hondas.

I'm about to go down this road again for my ITR door panels, as I found a mint pass side non R panel that needs structural repairs. Then, replicate the insert material or do something slightly custom but tasteful.

And, big cheers to this writeup! As well, years ago I restored a theft recovery Black EM1 using a rolled EM1. Learned a lot in that process!
I do have a 2 part 1:1 JB weld epoxy I've been using, which on the read, sounds similar to E6000. It sets up real nice too for rigidity. However, I'd still like my panel to have some flex, did you ever run into it anymore cracking issues down the road?

So far just finding the right fiberglass resin has been a headache. I'll pull the trigger tomorrow though, I'm down to two choices - It's about time to get this interior stuff conquered.

Congrats on the ITR! You are more braver than I am, I'd love to see the panel builds when you do them. I hope you log it and share here.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:26 pm

As I wait for the resin to arrive, I began tackling the headliner this morning. Apparently I had no idea what I was getting myself into. The foam removal gets messy. I'll be preforming a few board repairs after some research.

"My Goons" putting in work

Lastly excited to complete my cup holder, it was missing the storage pocket (Thanks Dobler), and the side brackets of which I procured at the local yard.

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:52 pm

It's been a productive & fun Fri-yay! Tackled the headliner & took a bold leap at doing the sun visors. After that had a water balloon fight with the kiddos.

sun visors - they came with the car, at this point I realized one was a 96-98 and the other a 99-00

Attention to detail huh? it was at this point I realized I had two passenger sides :lol: :lol: It doesn't bother me functionally because I've don't use my visor anyway; but, knowing it does not function as designed bothers the crap out of me hahaha. If anyone wants to trade for a mint driver, I'm here for it.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:20 pm

You are reaching mad scientist levels, I like it. I've never read a rebuild thread where someone re-upholstered their headliner, awesome. :thumbup:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:30 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:20 pm You are reaching mad scientist levels, I like it. I've never read a rebuild thread where someone re-upholstered their headliner, awesome. :thumbup:
Thanks man! It's really nothing more than a gross display of self-torture. hahaha. I don't care what a car visually looks like as long as the interior and drivetrain are solid.

LED Fogs revisited
  • A - previous first choice
- Lumen at glass 16xx (x10)
- At a distance of 4ft the lumens were 242
-Temp on ?? after 5min 82.1F
- Yellow, bold and beautiful

• B - new first choice
- Lumen against class 15xx
- At a distance of 4ft the lumens were 1245
- Temp on 67.7, after 5min 89.1F
- Yellow, mellow up close, but as a distance golden, and clear
- Size almost 1:1 compared to a std H1 base. For ek/most Honda FL housings this is huge IMO.

4ft comparisons

I couldn't decide by the 4ft, but the roof test made the choice a lot easier

"you down wit' OCD? yeah, you know me!"
  • Left/Driver visor procured

caught a snag w/ the adhesive....friggin fraggle rocks ;)

JDMJNKY

Post by JDMJNKY » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:38 pm

Had to comeback for the amazon update! Let's get it! I've been waiting for this to tackle the door panels, which will be rounding off the interior updates. :D :D :D :D :D :D