noah's 98-XXXX Build Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
Vtecwreck

Re: noah's 98-XXXX Build Thread

Post by Vtecwreck » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:28 pm

It shouldn’t be too hard to shave the 47lbs. With the carbon hatch/hood alone it should get you very close and the header will most definitely cut much weight!
98-0148: DeRicing Project
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=264

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:32 am

noahf wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:03 pm I do believe the 2529 was with my 210 pounds of pure fat sexyness sitting in the drivers seat. So it would be closer to 2320 without a driver, which is then a lot closer to your 2247. I also had 3/4 of a tank (as recommended by Chewerks) not sure what your gas reading was, but could easily account for 50ish lbs. I would say my interior is "stock" and only missing a radio at this point.
I aim for 1/3-1/2 gas tank when corner balancing. Reason, I start the day with a full tank. Towards the end of the day I am around 1/3-1/2 tank, track depending. The goal being optimal alignment for the end of day driving when my brain and skills are warmed up.

Vtecwreck wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:28 pm It shouldn’t be too hard to shave the 47lbs. With the carbon hatch/hood alone it should get you very close and the header will most definitely cut much weight!
I'm TL to buy and paint carbon bits, partly due to abundance of sub-par quality CF vendors. I'm all factory bodywork here.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Post by JDMJNKY » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:19 am

The things i'd do for a Hytech exhaust......I can not mention publicly.

noahf

Post by noahf » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:37 pm

JDMJNKY wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:19 am The things i'd do for a Hytech exhaust......I can not mention publicly.
i really do love the hytech exhaust. it sounds great, looks awesome, and is engineered to perform. it was expensive but i know it was the only setup i wanted.

General venting: I just realized I havnt even touched the car since Eibach. I need to get a couple small pieces to really make it complete but nothing big and its just been sitting in my garage. Im not sure why I havnt been enjoying/driving it. The thought of selling has come up but doubt I will. I have a complete k24 build ready to go in, well, its been ready for a year now. Just dont really know what to do. Been busy with work/life and having all my car projects is really forcing me to downsize. I built this car to take to the track and in Jan I posted it would be going in Feb. Its now early august and I have no idea when Ill be making it to the track. Hopefully for expo. Really just need to start driving it. /end vent

noahf

Post by noahf » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:33 pm

Update (with questionable photos):

Though I havnt been posting ive been making small changes to the car over the last few months. I was being lazy with my seat brackets and once I sold the ek brackets that didnt fit, I was forced to install my pci brackets. I originally bought pci side mount brackets to install spoon buckets into my ek, but i sold my ek and sold most of my spoon stuff. I switched out the ek brackets to dc/eg brackets, but also ordered a complete driverside bracket/slider. It wasnt until I tried to install my passenger seat that I realized I was missing some adapters. (I ordered another set of sliders from PCI)

I needed these black things:

PCI was closed for the holidays and I was in the mood to do work on my car, so I went and made my own.

Finally, I was able to mount my seats. But of course, I forgot to take pictures of my red SR5 seats actually mounted.

But, when I was replacing the seats I remembered I had a newer/cleaner carpet to install.
Old Carpet:
This is a stain, not a "light" line from the sun

So I took the old carpet out and was I shocked!

I found a bunch of change, a couple walnuts, and a 10mm socket and a 12mm deep socket!
So I cleaned all that out:

And then I put the new carpet in, and forgot to take pictures.....

And final thing I fixed was:

The previous owner had cut space for his shifter cables but I ran a bunch of different options and finally ended on a no-cut hybrid shifter that i feel is the best shifting for a k series.

I also registered for my first track day, 2/2. But I have a cracked windshield and getting it replaced has turned into quite the ordeal. So I am hoping I can get that handled before then.

noahf

Post by noahf » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:11 pm

So I scheduled my first track day, signed up for 2/2 and the first HFF challenge of 2019. And then it decided to rain, and rain a lot. I decided it wasnt worth going to my first track day in that much rain. Also, I would have had to drive 2 1/2 hours each way in the rain, and it would have been in the dark. SoCal roads when wet are not very safe.

anyways, before I knew it was going to rain, I did the last thing (i hope) that I needed to track prep the R. I had a new windshield installed.

Car at the shop

Old one

The reason for replacement (was like this when i got it):

Hey Ma! No window!

All oem moldings, but aftermarket window

noahf

Post by noahf » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:12 pm

does anyone know if this is replaceable? its the part the vin attaches too, so im guessing not, but its cracked in like 2 spots. its separate than the dash, but no idea what to do with the vin part.

new molding thats not all wavey

but even with oem moldings, there was a very small gap on the top (each side)

and final pictures (horrible quality, but i was over an hour late leaving the shop than i wanted, and had to get to work):

noahf

Post by noahf » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:37 pm

I was thinking for a long time of selling the itr. it basically sat in the garage since Feb when I replaced the windshield until i took it on a mountain drive. It runs amazing. The tune is perfect. The suspension is awesome. Its balanced. Its just sitting.

I decided to take it to the mountains (big bear) on a baby spirited drive. I was just enjoying the turns and doing some small pulls in third, keeping it very reasonable. And I realized I am not going to sell it. I just need to make time for it and get it on the track. That is the reason I built it, now I just need the time to use it.

Here are a few iphone photos of the day: You can see how the body/door color doesnt match perfectly, and also, the car was a little dirty from being in the garage and it decided to rain a lil bit on me.

noahf

Post by noahf » Sat May 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Almost an entire year has passed and I think ive driven the car once since the picture above. Work sucked for the last 9 months and I just dont have time on the weekends to dedicate to it.

I think its going to go up for sale soon sadly. Its fun owning 2x 98's type r's but im just not sure how practical it is anymore. It might be time to downsize a little. I just dont know what to do with all my extra k series parts. I think i have 20k into an engine build thats just sitting in the garage :(

eeeeeek!

JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Post by JDMJNKY » Thu May 21, 2020 1:21 am

Still a beautiful ride.