#98-1046 : Minnesota Barn Find & Resurrection

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
Dc2-ProductionS
Badge Number: 97-00012

#98-1046 : Minnesota Barn Find & Resurrection

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:57 am

Like many of us ITR guys, we have extra of some parts. Or maybe a spare of some pieces...

:? :? Or maybe you are like me and you have a stock-pile of ITR parts, bits, and pieces... Of cars. And wiring... and panels... :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I have always had an ear out to see what kind of shells are out there and need to be saved. My friends who come over always say "there's a whole other car... or two here"... :lol: :lol: So in the past months I was in contact with another ITRCA member for some other items/parts and as most of us members have, we shared stories of the Type R and parts, old cars, current projects, etc. One conversation led to another and there was talk of a '98 shell in good shape, but in need of repair, and basically every ITR specific part. Stashed in a Barn in the middle of Minnesota... My first glimpse.

:shock: :shock:
This. Has. Potential...

My excitement begins, and the thorough search of history and anything I can find out that may be posted on the interwebz. Luckily the badge has stayed with the vehicle, and is one of the only R specific parts left. #BigWin Badge reads 98-1046. :Opens browser...... and down the rabbit hole we go:

I find a Honda-Tech For Sale ad from May 2012, car is located in Iowa. 124k Miles, OG motor has been replaced, Clean title.

A bunch of pictures in the ad, showing her slammed low, long tip exhaust cannon, but not too shabby for what you would see out there in 2012.

Next owner (ends up being cousin of 2012 owner) shows up with heR for sale in 2015 following a "disabling accident" in Central Iowa. 132k miles, still JDM motor with VIN matching trans and a mix of new and some old parts from 2012 sale. For sale ad notes the car still holds a clean title, however Carfax shows insurance declared it a "total loss" and made a payout on the vehicle.

**In the state of Iowa, a vehicle can be declared as a "loss" if the cost of repair is/or exceeds 50% of current market value of the vehicle** (As comparison I bought a clean title 2 owner, PY in 2014 with 87k for under $14k) The radiator support is toast, the front crash beam did exactly what it is supposed to and absorbed the brunt of the hit. The crash bar is bent and not re-usable. It bent the driver frame rail, and passenger rail has some sway. In my opinion from now seeing it even today in 2022, was it enough to "total" the car in cost? I don't think so... Not sure what transpired with the "payout" or what the amount was since owner still holds clear title and the vehicle.

Car is even listed in ad as "running and driving" but with bent control arm and may need frame work, but perfect for JDM front swap. Well I can say it definitely needs frame work, but it's not "totaling" damage.

Over the next 7 years, the car passed through a few hands and was slowly stripped down piece by piece. But it doesn't seem there was any attempt to ever repair/recover/revive the damage. At this point it has no engine, no interior seats, no door panels, no rear 5 lug, 36mm front, no brakes or ebrake, no spoiler, wrong wheels, and tons of misc. along the way.

So after many texts back and forth and finding a time that would allow from work off, we packed up and ventured on the 18hr+ trip each way, over 1,200 miles to the middle of more corn land than I have ever seen, to a metal barn in the middle of Minnesota. Took an hour to strike a final deal, and we were packed up and turned around for our trip back home.

Of course you know we had to give heR a good bath since shes back out in the sun after who knows how long shes been hiding in this space...

We got right back on the road after driving the hours straight through from NY ---> MN. Now we drove about 5 hours just outside of Chicago. Good food and crash for the night to finish the trip tomorrow. Of course on our way home, we realize that in #Roadkill fashion, we are driving right past Summit racing headquarters!! Of course we had to make a little detour/stop to see where all of our money goes over the years!! What a place. If you get the chance, stop by and check it out. Amazing to see complete cylinder heads lining an entire aisle like groceries. Engine blocks, piston and rod combos on the shelf like cookies. Fuel managements and wiring harness aisle after aisle. So cool, I wish we had one closer.

Finally, after wayy to many hours on the road we made it back to NY. We left Thursday night at 8:15pm and we pulled back into my driveway Sunday morning at 3am. Roughly 36+ hours of driving over 2,400 miles in just shy of 55 hours.

Luckily the trailer rental on a one-way trip form Uhaul is a 5-day. So I had a few days left with the trailer and was able to coordinate dropping it off at the frame shop the day after I got home. Huge win. I was given a new OEM control arm as well as the driver apron to repair the damaged pieces. A used but good condition crash bar was included also so I dropped the caR and all of these pieces to get work started right away!!

My friend who owns the frame shop did not seem phased at all by what he was seeing and said he would give me a call when it was all set... That seemed too easy. We talked a bit more about it and I let him know I have a new radiator support on the way as well. Hoping I can have new radiator support put on, apron as well and have the bay cleaned and resprayed while it is there. Then when she comes back home she will be ready to get heR life back together! :D :D

Stay tuned for more, ITR #4.

Dc2
- 01-0590 ITR PY - Garage Queen
- 01-1058 ITR NHBP - Gone
- 97-0012 ITR CW - Princess in progress
- 98-1046 ITR RealTime Replica - #HomageR

Outrun

Re: #98-1046 : Minnesota Barn Find & Resurrection

Post by Outrun » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:27 pm

Can't wait for updates!

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:41 am

Good read, and love to hear these kinds of stories.

I often wonder how many other special cars are sitting somewhere out of sight rotting away. So nice to see them found, end up in the right hands, and rebuilt.

I, too, have almost enough parts to restore 1 stripped ITR shell.

GeHonda

Post by GeHonda » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:10 am

Excited to see what you can do with heR!
1998 DC2 GSR, ITR clone project
1990 CRX Si
Previous owner of 98-0046, 98-0408

Dc2-ProductionS

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:39 am

GeHonda wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:10 am Excited to see what you can do with heR!
Outrun wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:27 pm Can't wait for updates!
She will be back on the road! We know that! :beer: :beer:

I can't wait for updates from the body shop either!!! :lol:
AndyD wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:41 am Good read, and love to hear these kinds of stories.

I often wonder how many other special cars are sitting somewhere out of sight rotting away. So nice to see them found, end up in the right hands, and rebuilt.

I, too, have almost enough parts to restore 1 stripped ITR shell.
We had a few convo's like this while we were driving across the country. How many, of SO many cars are just sitting somewhere, waiting to be saved!! Even if not all original head to toe, get them back on the road!! Gearbox cars are a dying breed, and soon gasoline cars will be too. :evil:

Keep your eye out, you will find one worthy of saving!!

9701typer#2

Post by 9701typer#2 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:27 pm

Will be following this build, just don't forget to finish your other :lol:

EL*Chuy

Post by EL*Chuy » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 pm

Nice save!! :thumbup:
Current:
CW Honda ITR 98
PY Acura ITR 00-0604
CW CDM Acura ITR 00-???? (Project)

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:38 pm

Dude another one! Looks amazing for sitting in a barn in snow country.

Dc2-ProductionS

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:53 pm

9701typer#2 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:27 pm Will be following this build, just don't forget to finish your other :lol:
The '97 is on heR final touches!!
EL*Chuy wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 pm Nice save!! :thumbup:
Thank you! She will be happier this way. :lol:
Stin1 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:38 pm Dude another one! Looks amazing for sitting in a barn in snow country.
Thanks Dustin! :beer: Undercarriage is in really great condition also considering its prior rap sheet! She's got some up close imperfections, but nothing that cant be addressed!

Got some great news back from body shop, everything is going great so far and he even sent me a sneak pic of where is at with it before it heads to the laser machine to get her dead straight. See pic below! 8-) 8-) Crash bar is wayyyyy straighter already. Cant wait to get heR back and start slapping parts on it!!

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:36 pm

Oh boy, this is getting me jacked with excitement for you. I can't wait to follow along.

What parts are on your hunt list? I'll offer help where I can.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171