Oem radio / usb input

This forum contains various technical threads, how-tos, etc.
oddomatik
Badge Number: 98-0542

Re: Oem radio / usb input

Post by oddomatik » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:06 pm

Modern iPhones and Android can do Bluetooth, and if you're using the stock radio you won't care about Apple CarPlay anyways.

I would go the route of a readily available mass-produced small inline bluetooth headless amp as opposed to the kitchy custom solutions marketed toward old dude's "use your classic car radio!" proposed so far. This is what I did on my NSX and skipped a radio altogether. The old NSX dudes think the Grom is the shit, but only because they don't know what else is possible due to a lack of marketing directed at them.

I use the Kenwood KAC-M1824BT but you can't get those new anymore. Lots of very cheap clones on Amazon though, or new/used on eBay if you're willing to shell out.

Make sure it has speaker level inputs so you can tap into the speaker output wires from your stock stereo.

It does have a powered USB port for charging your phone only, if you wanted to mount that somewhere in your dash. The only drawback to this particular model in my book is that it's got a wired remote with bright red/blue LEDs for switching source and volume. That's annoying to me.
ITR (98-0542) | NA1 NSX | RT4WD | EK Hatch
240z | 190E 2.3-16V | SpecE30 | RAM 3500 | CB550

audipwr1

Post by audipwr1 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:15 am

I got the Grom for xmas so will report back.

Still awaiting a slot from a competent shop in bay area to do my bushings / shocks / wheel bearings - on month 4 of car sitting in my warehouse missing me :-(

oddomatik
Badge Number: 98-0542

Post by oddomatik » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:14 am

audipwr1 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:15 am I got the Grom for xmas so will report back.
I just refreshed my memory on the Grom units. They basically are more plug and play (no wiring harness modifications) and have optional bluetooth and USB. They are cheaper and they take the time to integrate into existing stereos wherever possible. I retract my previous assessment of them and I am reminded why the NSX guys like them. :D For some reason I had it in my mind that they had poor integration and lots of external controls. I think I was turned away from them not for the reason I thought, but because they were marketed toward OEM stereos, which I do not have. It looks like a nice piece of kit honestly.

I might know a guy that's about 2.5 hours East of the Bay area if you're interested. They get a lot of Euro customers driving up from down there for service but one of their techs is a Honda guy from the B series era and would probably take on some after hours work. I could even pitch in and help him. Just DM me if interested.
ITR (98-0542) | NA1 NSX | RT4WD | EK Hatch
240z | 190E 2.3-16V | SpecE30 | RAM 3500 | CB550

Dot_tom

Post by Dot_tom » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:31 pm

This is interesting. Thank you for the feedback. That would be nice to have the radio lit up also. He should make a few extra harnesses. I’d be interested in one.

Dot_tom

Post by Dot_tom » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:32 pm

audipwr1 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:15 am I got the Grom for xmas so will report back.

Still awaiting a slot from a competent shop in bay area to do my bushings / shocks / wheel bearings - on month 4 of car sitting in my warehouse missing me :-(
Looking forward to the feedback. I’m holding out to see what you or anyone else has to say and compare to ghost box.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:58 am

The Grom kit looks like an evolution of those Blitz integration kits. Curious to see the feedback on it. I've been happy with my Blitz to RCA input kit, but I don't really hook up my phone to my car and like a luddite still use an old mp3 player for my music
-Andrew Wong

Dot_tom

Post by Dot_tom » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:20 pm

Ok, I ordered and installed the ghost box today. Super happy with it. I also have it set up to light up the OEM radio.

I ordered the universal harness from JDI. My OEM harness was already a bit hacked up from a previous aftermarket unit that was installed prior to my ownership. This gave me a chance to fix the mess that was old electrical tape and twisted wires.

What you do is, run all speaker wires to the ghost box, take the power, ground, and split power and ground to the plug for the OEM radio. I chose not to split the speaker wires to the OEM unit. You could in theory do this as well and still have radio and CD function when not using the ghost box. I didn't want to mess with that.

I've attached some photos below of the split harness. Now everything looks like its OEM, lights and all, but my phone connects to the ghost box and plays music that way. Very happy with it. Now to pick out an amp and sub to add.
Attachments
DSC00377.jpg
DSC00377.jpg (561.89 KiB) Viewed 865 times
DSC00378.jpg
DSC00378.jpg (546.92 KiB) Viewed 865 times
DSC00379.jpg
DSC00379.jpg (516.85 KiB) Viewed 865 times

g3teg97
Badge Number: 98-0379

Post by g3teg97 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:17 am

Let me know how it works for lighting up the OEM radio. We attempted to add another harness to get functionality of the factory radio, but it blew a fuse. I'd like to use my ghostbox for Bluetooth, but still somehow use the radio if I want.

Dot_tom

Post by Dot_tom » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:18 pm

g3teg97 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:17 am Let me know how it works for lighting up the OEM radio. We attempted to add another harness to get functionality of the factory radio, but it blew a fuse. I'd like to use my ghostbox for Bluetooth, but still somehow use the radio if I want.
Works perfect. I just have the power, ground, wiring responsible for the dimmer connected. No speaker wires or anything. Ghost box works perfect and the amber OEM radio lights up perfect when the headlights are on.

Dot_tom

Post by Dot_tom » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:06 pm

Update with the lights on for the radio.
DSC00451.jpg
DSC00451.jpg (452.53 KiB) Viewed 795 times