Expo 2023 - Community Collective

Expo Information and Announcements
g3teg97
Badge Number: 98-0379

Re: Expo 2023 - Community Collective

Post by g3teg97 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:01 pm

The survey sounds like a good idea because we probably need to make the most of the location. I know nothing of organizing an event like this, but would love to try to do anything to help. My first Expo was 16 at VIR and second at Road America. I didn't care for the other locations after 17, which I think is important (like someone said a premier track/destination).

I think we should try to get a head count of who is where, because that can make or break it? I'm just thinking out loud here. I am in Florida and would be down to go, just not a low-end track. For example, if at The FIRM (https://gorally.com/), it's just not appealing to me. I consider Expo a destination, not something you can sign up for for local open track days and it has no historical or significance. Just my $0.02 cents though.

I still want to help in some capacity.

Dc2-ProductionS
Badge Number: 97-00012

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:49 am

I would possibly be able to get something organized at Lime Rock.

But not sure how many would make the trip this far to the NE....
- 01-0590 ITR PY - Garage Queen
- 01-1058 ITR NHBP - Gone
- 97-0012 ITR CW - Princess in progress
- 98-1046 ITR RealTime Replica - #HomageR

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:35 pm

Lime Rock is a relatively fun and straight forward track and good for Type R breeds of cars. It was actually the first track I ever drove. But if you going to the NE, might as well consider Watkins and piggyback with a group like Chin (which some of us have done in the past and/or still do).

LRP would probably be a cheaper bet depending who is running the events. But Watkins is another level of track and should be bucket list for anyone (though will likely cost more and may not be as beginner friendly as LRP for any n00bs out there).

Joining another group like Chin for a couple days would be a blast, especially if we could work out our own run group.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

practice chaos to develop control.

audipwr1

Post by audipwr1 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:47 pm

Survey for sure

1. Willingness to pay (noting this being a non profit event so the cost is the cost) - 1,250, 1,500, 2,000, 2,500
2. Location willingness (East, Southeast, midwest, central, west)
3. Willingness for weekday vs weekend (much cheaper weekday, harder for family)
4. Do you want to drive on track, or would you be also interested in a ~500 paddock pass to just hang
5. Would you be willing to prepay
6. Any sponsors you know who might be willing to participate
7. Are you ok with a tier 2 track, or just Tier 1 (noting cost will be higher)

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:02 pm

audipwr1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:47 pm Survey for sure

1. Willingness to pay (noting this being a non profit event so the cost is the cost) - 1,250, 1,500, 2,000, 2,500
4. Do you want to drive on track, or would you be also interested in a ~500 paddock pass to just hang
I dont think there are many people in this community that would be willing to pay anything close to those amounts for a track event plus additional costs (lodging, track insurance, travel, parts, etc). This is why I think it would be far easier and cheaper to just tag along with another organization at a premier track day/weekend. There are so many organizations out there that already have established reputations and relationships with all the tracks, dates booked, etc. It would be far easier to decide what track we would want to drive, then go through the list of organizations running events at that track and determine what date works best. Then push everyone to sign up. If we get enough people to sign up maybe work out a run group or something.

Just my .02
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

Dc2-ProductionS
Badge Number: 97-00012

Post by Dc2-ProductionS » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:03 pm

Ryan if you join us, I'll have a session in whatever ITR I bring with your name on it. :thumbup: :thumbup:
- 01-0590 ITR PY - Garage Queen
- 01-1058 ITR NHBP - Gone
- 97-0012 ITR CW - Princess in progress
- 98-1046 ITR RealTime Replica - #HomageR

audipwr1

Post by audipwr1 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:57 pm

RTW DC2R wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:02 pm
audipwr1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:47 pm Survey for sure

I dont think there are many people in this community that would be willing to pay anything close to those amounts for a track event plus additional costs (lodging, track insurance, travel, parts, etc). This is why I think it would be far easier and cheaper to just tag along with another organization at a premier track day/weekend. There are so many organizations out there that already have established reputations and relationships with all the tracks, dates booked, etc. It would be far easier to decide what track we would want to drive, then go through the list of organizations running events at that track and determine what date works best. Then push everyone to sign up. If we get enough people to sign up maybe work out a run group or something.

Just my .02
Totally understand that - to level set a basic DE run group at a tier1/tier2 track is 300-400 per day. That assumes for DE organizer close to full sized run groups allowed on track - 25-50 car at once. So for them to rent it to you they wont accept some massive discount vs that math. That then becomes your cost per slot.

You will want at least 2 run groups - slow/fast
Many people wont want more than 15-20 cars in each group for safety of their car / themselves

2 run groups at DE pricing of 300 per day times 30 cars a group times 25% discount to De organizer = $27,000
Plus lets call it 3k? of insurance / admin stuff = 30k for the rental.

30 guys = 1k
40 guys = 750

No food etc but that isnt too too much more

So I think the question is count of people at 750 - ranging up to a full track rental which would be 2k ish each
Then you work out the count x willingness to pay = what your options are?

I dislike all of this as much as the next guy + towing + lodging + food + copious beers + crap breaking.

Maybe the final answer is guys just all meet and some do a DE session and others all hang

All I know is Expo 3 I still remember vividly and had a blast. I dont think id be at 2k, but i would stretch to make it happen if others were stoked too

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:59 pm

Dc2-ProductionS wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:03 pm Ryan if you join us, I'll have a session in whatever ITR I bring with your name on it. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Or bring more than one and Ill just drive one of them all weekend lol
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

RTW DC2R

Post by RTW DC2R » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:10 pm

audipwr1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:57 pm
Totally understand that - to level set a basic DE run group at a tier1/tier2 track is 300-400 per day. That assumes for DE organizer close to full sized run groups allowed on track - 25-50 car at once. So for them to rent it to you they wont accept some massive discount vs that math. That then becomes your cost per slot.

You will want at least 2 run groups - slow/fast
Many people wont want more than 15-20 cars in each group for safety of their car / themselves

2 run groups at DE pricing of 300 per day times 30 cars a group times 25% discount to De organizer = $27,000
Plus lets call it 3k? of insurance / admin stuff = 30k for the rental.

30 guys = 1k
40 guys = 750

No food etc but that isnt too too much more

So I think the question is count of people at 750 - ranging up to a full track rental which would be 2k ish each
Then you work out the count x willingness to pay = what your options are?

I dislike all of this as much as the next guy + towing + lodging + food + copious beers + crap breaking.

Maybe the final answer is guys just all meet and some do a DE session and others all hang

All I know is Expo 3 I still remember vividly and had a blast. I dont think id be at 2k, but i would stretch to make it happen if others were stoked too
I hear ya. Id like the committee to speak to the costs since they know first hand. I dont recall pricing for all the previous Expos I have attended but I dont remember paying more than $4-500? Obviously its been a while and can probably expect that cost to be higher today. But going back to one of my original thoughts is that the Type R crowd probably isnt large enough or die hard enough (whatever you want to call it) to support a dedicated Type R event. Id love to be wrong but just dont think I am.

1. Identify some tracks that might be "centrally" located (probably lean more to the East then West if I had to assume based on the past)
2. See which orgs are running events at those tracks
3. Compare dates and costs and maybe reach out to the org to coordinate
4. If an event can be identified, blast out the info to the Type R world and see who shows up

I think if someone seriously took that on by whatever means (start with a survey as already suggested) and then let it play out then we could come up with a solid idea or plan.
98-0034 (sold)
00-XXXX (sold)

Outrun

Post by Outrun » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:02 pm

Tagging along with NSXpo seemed to work fine in 2017 at Road America and 2018 at Thunderhill. At the same time does Type-R Club lose some identity? NSXpo is a bit costlier but they have a combination of social and track events. Members also pay yearly membership dues. Richard (Lap of the World on YouTube) does pretty comprehensive NSXpo videos so you can see what non-track stuff they do at NSXpo.

NSXpo alternates every year with one year being more towards the west and the next year more towards the east with regards to NSXpo locations/tracks to make it more equitable for every one. A lot of members will drive every year even if it's a cross country drive.