Thoughts on utilizing a sitting USDM B18C5

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
TurboLS

Thoughts on utilizing a sitting USDM B18C5

Post by TurboLS » Wed May 11, 2022 12:23 am

So…. It’s been a loooong time since I’ve posted up on here and, after a few track incidents, 2 kids, and a bunch of calendar days, I’m ready to get back into it…

At the very beginning of 2018, I hit some fluid on the entry to the front straight at SPR and smashed the front up pretty good via tire wall…

Fast forward a few years thru COVID, remote schooling the kids, and a few years without many track events, the frame of the R is actually lined back up (with some donor chassis parts) and some very skilled work by none other than Blackjack Frame Machine in GA.

So now, this R sits on a trailer, anxiously awaiting paint and reassembly while I feel the itch.

Then, I thought, how can I make the ugly duckling (94 LS DC4 with paint problems) into a shadow of the R???

Options considered:

- K24a2 swap with a TSX 5 speed
- J35a4 swap
- buy a wrecked 2002 to 2004 rsx type s and scavenge the engine, trans harness, ecu, etc from that
- lightly refresh the USDM B18C5 from the R and run it in the LS

Due to cost and the fact that I have way more spare b series stuff, I think I am leaning toward option 4….

Thinking of:

- Converting to coil on plug
- tb, water pump, tensioner replacement
- MCS 2WNR suspension
- some functional, adjustable rear wing
- front bumper/lip one piece design
- adding VTEC sub harness to the LS
- running hondata s300
- overhaul of bushings -> kingpin machine upgrades
- PCI spherical RTAs?
- oh and it needs a new windshield and would look nice with paint.

Thoughts?
438X Instructor/TTD ITR w/ NASA Mid-Atlantic
RIP: 1994 Integra LS-T @ VIR, October 2013.

AndyD

Re: Thoughts on utilizing a sitting USDM B18C5

Post by AndyD » Wed May 11, 2022 9:29 am

I vote swapping the B18C5 into it. I don't really see a point of K-swapping DC2s anymore. The FA5/FG2 chassis is as good, if not better, and already comes with a K swap.

Freshen it up and have fun while the R gets rebuilt!

Any pics of your R?

You hit the inner tire wall of Turn 10?

I love the J Series engines. I'm building one now.

DC4MC

Post by DC4MC » Thu May 12, 2022 9:07 am

It is probably more cost effective to just swap the ITR swap into your ls due to the up front costs of a k swap. But having completed a k24a2 swap into my integra, the k series are so much cheaper anymore.

I had a cracked block (oil pressure sensor port was overtightened) and decided it was best to just replace the long block. I was able to order a k24a2 from a recycler and have it shipped from CT to OH for $1125 out the door. And that comes with a 6 month warranty.

All of the swap stuff is an added up front cost, but replacing later on is so much cheaper than the b series anymore.

The additional torque and power from a basically stock motor is nice as well. My motor is out of an 08. I did an rbc manifold, 50* VTC, type s oil pump, 72mm TB and the rest is just bolt ons. I made 232/190 on 93.

TurboLS

Post by TurboLS » Thu May 12, 2022 11:03 am

AndyD wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:29 am I vote swapping the B18C5 into it. I don't really see a point of K-swapping DC2s anymore. The FA5/FG2 chassis is as good, if not better, and already comes with a K swap.

Freshen it up and have fun while the R gets rebuilt!

Any pics of your R?

You hit the inner tire wall of Turn 10?

I love the J Series engines. I'm building one now.
I basically flew off to the left of the apex at 10 and hit the outer tire wall (not the pit row wall on the inside).

TurboLS

Post by TurboLS » Thu May 12, 2022 11:04 am

And I guess in retrospect, I will likely swap the R motor in for now and possibly upgrade/swap to K later. If I do it now, I can't afford the nice suspension :-)

SWFL_NSX

Post by SWFL_NSX » Fri May 13, 2022 6:37 am

If you want to make something close to a type r, why not swap in a b18C1 from a GS-R?

It's the easiest option, probably cheapest one, and the one that will feel closest to the R as well.

DC231

Post by DC231 » Fri May 13, 2022 12:36 pm

TurboLS wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:23 am So…. It’s been a loooong time since I’ve posted up on here and, after a few track incidents, 2 kids, and a bunch of calendar days, I’m ready to get back into it…

At the very beginning of 2018, I hit some fluid on the entry to the front straight at SPR and smashed the front up pretty good via tire wall…

Fast forward a few years thru COVID, remote schooling the kids, and a few years without many track events, the frame of the R is actually lined back up (with some donor chassis parts) and some very skilled work by none other than Blackjack Frame Machine in GA.

So now, this R sits on a trailer, anxiously awaiting paint and reassembly while I feel the itch.

Then, I thought, how can I make the ugly duckling (94 LS DC4 with paint problems) into a shadow of the R???

Options considered:

- K24a2 swap with a TSX 5 speed
- J35a4 swap
- buy a wrecked 2002 to 2004 rsx type s and scavenge the engine, trans harness, ecu, etc from that
- lightly refresh the USDM B18C5 from the R and run it in the LS

Due to cost and the fact that I have way more spare b series stuff, I think I am leaning toward option 4….

Thinking of:

- Converting to coil on plug
- tb, water pump, tensioner replacement
- MCS 2WNR suspension
- some functional, adjustable rear wing
- front bumper/lip one piece design
- adding VTEC sub harness to the LS
- running hondata s300
- overhaul of bushings -> kingpin machine upgrades
- PCI spherical RTAs?
- oh and it needs a new windshield and would look nice with paint.

Thoughts?
The c5 will cost the least out of pocket but with it's current status is risking it worth it when you could use a k20a2,k20z1,k20z3,k24a2 in it's place for about one fourth of what the c5 swap is worth and make more power out of the box with any of those 4 engines.

You're in Georgia?

I can get you a nice turn key k series setup here in Jacksonville FL that consists of stock block k24a2 that has PRB cylinder head, type s oil pump, 50° vtc gear, prayoonto 4 cams, skunk2 3 piece intake manifold, mustang 90mm TB, junk header, 02-04 type s transmission with Quafe diff, k tuned billet shifter box and race cables, eg/DC mounts, 32mm axles, engine harness/charge harness and hondata s300 tuned on e85 making about 280whp

TurboLS

Post by TurboLS » Sat May 14, 2022 3:18 pm

Responding to a lot of questions, but yeah, I already have the b18c5 and most of the parts to refresh it already. I would just need a hondata ecu since this would be in my OBD1 car.

I can pick up a p28 with COP mod and have it s300 ready for $310 or so and then I just make my coil pack harnesses.

Then again, I also have a j32 just sitting here, but it needs more tlc (and cams) than the b18c5.

The k24 and j35 would need to be bought, along with the transmissions, to make those swaps work.

This is also not the original b18c5, which I also have. This is a jdm import, so I would always have the original engine if something we to happen to this one.

As for location, I'm from Maryland, but Blackjack look to be some of the best in the business for body repair as well as the frame machines themselves. That was a supercool experience.

So I think I've convinced myself to go b18c5 and save K for later when I have a bit more cash for initial costs.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Tue May 17, 2022 3:08 pm

I have a Hondata S300 if desired.

FYI Coil on Plug still uses OEM sensors in the OEM distributor, ie can still fail. If longterm plans are K, it might be worth saving that cost.

Suspension wise, I would recommend reaching out to Anze Suspension.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

TurboLS

Post by TurboLS » Tue May 17, 2022 11:45 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:08 pm I have a Hondata S300 if desired.
Believe it or not, I still have my expo 2018 east raffle prize and am hoping it’s still good for face value.

And solid point on the COP sensor thing… I’ll have to do a bit more reading.. the Hondarulez kit seems to be the least invasive and reversible, if needed.

-Ramzi