FIA ITR Homologation Info

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Canuckr

FIA ITR Homologation Info

Post by Canuckr » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:06 pm

Never seen this before in all the years

https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/defaul ... roup_a.pdf
AP1
Once owned:
97 ITR #163
98 DB8 ITR
AP2

Klasse

Re: FIA ITR Homologation Info

Post by Klasse » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:16 pm

It is cool. I downloaded a copy years ago because i figured it might not be hosted forever.

On a related note, apparently the UK and Europe spot lights only exist to homologate the holes as brake cooling. Anyone know any similar details?
'97 DB8 Integra Type R, '97 EK1 Civic LXi
ex: '94 CD6 Accord SiR, '92 EG9 Civic SiR, '89 DA6 Integra XSi

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:12 am

Whoa nice find!

And holy Canuckr sighting!!!
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:18 pm

I have seen some of this stuff, but not all . Could someone please explain? They needed this to compete in the certified series is that correct? I remember something about the Euro cars allowing brake ducts with the European fog light set up. I was checking out the link and didn’t see anything about it . I started seeing aftermarket brakes and gave up.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:32 am

Stin1 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:18 pm I have seen some of this stuff, but not all . Could someone please explain? They needed this to compete in the certified series is that correct? I remember something about the Euro cars allowing brake ducts with the European fog light set up. I was checking out the link and didn’t see anything about it . I started seeing aftermarket brakes and gave up.
Excellent question! The history here I've learned is not well documented. Much of the credit goes to Rboosted717's extensive research into this subject. You can read more about this two cars here and here or see his Racing Picture Thread here.

Stin1 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:18 pm ...Could someone please explain? They needed this to compete in the certified series is that correct? I remember something about the Euro cars allowing brake ducts with the European fog light set up.
Credit: Rboosted717

Yes, Honda sent production ready cars, several bodies in white chassis, and parts, to the UK for FIA certification. This certification/homologation was required for this chassis to endurance race. I've learned the European race teams quite simply, do not receive the credit deserved for developing what became the USDM and later JDM model DC2 ITR's. Due to the demands of European endurance racing, the following production changes were made:
-Projector headlights (all lights required to be functional)
-Larger hubs (re: five lug) to better handle 24hr Endurace racing stress & temperatures
-EDM/UKDM front fog lights for use as brake ducts, per regulation limitations

Example photo of race teams leveraging OEM foglight hole as brake duct:

Credit: Rboosted717

Further developments from racing teams like Foss-Tech:
-Re-enforced rear lower control & rear trailing arms due to heat from 24hr racing. These have now been copied by Honed Motorsports and available today.
-Suspension design improvements, which later influenced US race teams like Realtime Racing, others.
-Carbon Fiber glory: Dashboards, door panels, rear interior panels, fuel cell covers, and more, due to race regulations, as well as intake designs, brake ducts, etc.

Carbon Fiber goodness:

Suspension examples:

*Credit to Rboosted717

More: Race purpose bodies were supplied to various race teams across Europe (Germany, Belgium, UK, etc.) Semi-complete bodies are believed to have been sent as "production ready models" for use in Group N.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171