Advice for using ITR as daily driver?

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Re: Advice for using ITR as daily driver?

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:34 pm

PatHidden wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:04 pm
SWFL_NSX wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:51 pm Not really concerned with theft.
:shock:
One's area is key. I wish everyone the best either way, the key is one is enjoying the car. :thumbup:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

oddomatik
Badge Number: 98-0542

Post by oddomatik » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:43 am

A lot has already been covered but I'll add my experience with NSX and ITR... The ITR is a tin-can in comparison to what you've experienced in the NSX. It feels much more fragile and I agree with the questions on crash ratings if that's a concern. They are two completely different (and epic) areas of the driving experience spectrum.

As you already know, NSX is the most comfortable to daily drive. It can handle any task except hauling. I've driven 19 hours straight in it, averaging 90+ on highways. It's extremely comfortable even for my 6'4" frame, not too loud, high enough to handle dirt/gravel roads, and at least in Sebring Silver is understated. It can be parked anywhere, visibility is good for parallel parking. No one's going to steal it. I ripped out the alarm system and I'll park it anywhere comfortably for extended periods of time. As you already know it can't hold a car seat and that's more why you're asking this question...

I had a 3-year old in my ITR for a while with a FRONT facing booster seat and he was able to get in/out on his own. He very quickly started wearing interior parts no matter how careful I was and asked him to be. As others have mentioned, It's loud, raw, and a little stiff and bouncy to be comfortable (I have Ground Control/Koni). The ITR gets WAY more attention than the NSX and I would never consider leaving the ITR anywhere populous. I don't worry a bit about theft where I live rurally, but if I were to go to the city, I would never leave it more than a few minutes, even with a good alarm system based on the attention it gets. With the gearing, it feels "strung out" at highway speeds and after just an hour or so in the car the droning gets old. After a road trip in it, we were thankful for nightly stops of silence and were amazed by how much ringing in the ears we had just from ambient road noise.

I've put about 15k on the ITR and over 50k on the NSX. They are two completely different animals. I basically only take the ITR out these days when I want to go smash some canyon roads. It's a sushi chef knife in terms of being highly specialized in what it does. The NSX is much more refined, safe-feeling, and stable.

My advice is not to consider one for daily based on your needs. Sure, it's "cool" to say you daily drive an ITR with kids in the back, but I've found it's not so practical.

The only miata experience I have is NA on track. My first love was a D16A6 CRX! I currently have a turbo ZC RT4WD - I'd definitely suggest one of those for daily driving with a kid (besides maybe safety ratings).
ITR (98-0542) | NA1 NSX | RT4WD | EK Hatch
240z | 190E 2.3-16V | SpecE30 | RAM 3500 | CB550

SWFL_NSX

Post by SWFL_NSX » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:41 pm

Whoa-it's Oddomatic! You wouldn't believe how many hours I spent using your online service manual. It's still my go-to for most projects.

Thanks for posting. What you're saying about the NSX mirrors my experience, so it's helpful to hear your thoughts on the R. It sounds like an amazing tool, but the wrong one for the current job. I think it's so tempting because I have a decent amount of honda knowledge in my head at this point, and I don't have to worry about the reliability issues of the 996/997.

I saw you had a cosworth benz too-how does that compare to the NSX/ITR for family car duties? I had one 20 years ago and it felt like it was on rails, but my only point of comparison was a 72 mustang with a worn out steering box.

oddomatik
Badge Number: 98-0542

Post by oddomatik » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:49 pm

SWFL_NSX wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:41 pm Whoa-it's Oddomatic! You wouldn't believe how many hours I spent using your online service manual. It's still my go-to for most projects.
It warms my heart to hear someone besides me uses it, haha!
SWFL_NSX wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:41 pm Thanks for posting. What you're saying about the NSX mirrors my experience, so it's helpful to hear your thoughts on the R. It sounds like an amazing tool, but the wrong one for the current job. I think it's so tempting because I have a decent amount of honda knowledge in my head at this point, and I don't have to worry about the reliability issues of the 996/997.
I can empathize with your desires. I love the ITR, and I don't think it will fall short of your imagination and expectations if you ever do have one cross your path at the right time. This car has seriously grown on me as I learn what it's capable of.
SWFL_NSX wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:41 pm I saw you had a cosworth benz too-how does that compare to the NSX/ITR for family car duties? I had one 20 years ago and it felt like it was on rails, but my only point of comparison was a 72 mustang with a worn out steering box.
I wish I could provide some decent thoughts on comparison there for ya, but it's not under my ownership A) been street/smog legal B) been tuned properly C) had an interior or D) stock SLS suspension. From what I do know about Mercedes in that era though, I would imagine it to be comfortable and safe, with the benefit of clearly having gobs of understated style.
ITR (98-0542) | NA1 NSX | RT4WD | EK Hatch
240z | 190E 2.3-16V | SpecE30 | RAM 3500 | CB550

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:28 pm

oddomatik wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:49 pm ...I wish I could provide some decent thoughts on comparison there for ya, but it's not under my ownership A) been street/smog legal B) been tuned properly C) had an interior or D) stock SLS suspension. From what I do know about Mercedes in that era though, I would imagine it to be comfortable and safe, with the benefit of clearly having gobs of understated style.
Image 8-)
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171