Advice for using ITR as daily driver?

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Outrun

Re: Advice for using ITR as daily driver?

Post by Outrun » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:51 pm

It was easier to get him from the driver's side.
DSC00514.JPG
DSC00514.JPG (2.93 MiB) Viewed 687 times

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:14 am

I own a 996 911. Yes, the engines were not designed well at all. Lots of inherent issues in the design that can cause catastrophic engine failure.

I bought one specifically for that reason though. If you get the engine rebuilt by a proper engine builder, you can resolve all of those issues as well as have a 3.8L or even 4.0L engine that has all of the maintenance completed on it. Yes, it is expensive.

If you really like the 996, I highly suggest buying one that already has a blown engine. The price difference between buying one that's running vs buying one with a blown engine and getting it rebuilt is negligible once you factor in routine maintenance that the running one will need.

The 996 doesn't have as much storage space as the Integra.

Personally, I wouldn't drive either as a daily driver.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:39 am

I daily drove:
-97 #00171

I fortunately never had an issue with theft but I credit both the areas I lived and my driving habits. As others have noted, many of us have lived through this paranoia for many years (decades), so our initial reactions may come off as negative.

Theft aside, the Integra lacks creature comforts of a newer car but offers the Honda Golden Era go-kart experience, ie, driver's car despite low HP and great gas mileage. The suspension might be a dramatically different experience coming from the Prius. It may feel "harsher" but I find this often to be relative. A day or two in, and I no longer notice the "harsh" ride of my 650lb/750lb spring rates anymore and enjoy the quick turn-in, etc. Ride height and scrapping the lip may also be a concern. The interior will also bring more noise between the LSD, limited sound deadening, as well as inner door lining aging. We have community articles on improving the door lining. Bluetooth is easily added with a new head unit but it still isn't a car one wants to take a call from IMO.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

shuttlepilot

Post by shuttlepilot » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:09 am

Would you consider taking the passenger seat out for easy access to the back seats? Replace the rear console with a JDM ebrake cover and the access to the back seat gets really good. I lived for a couple of months without a passenger seat on my daily driver while the seat base was getting refinished and it was great. I could sit on the floor and stretch out. The rear seat had so much leg room. I stored so much stuff next to me and access around that area and behind was a breeze. I had way more room to load long lumber too.

Personally I would not daily the ITR car simply because it is a horrible long distance car. The suspension is excellent, the stock ITR springs rides softer and is more supple than my golf on koni coilovers (with progressive springs) while offering better grip. The road noise and vibration is horrible. No cruise control either. Also, I do not trust the crashability of the car. It is a 90's design and a tin box before the era of crash ratings. The steel is so thin on these things. I would much rather put my family members in something worthy of duking it out with modern cages rolling out there. I would not like to see family in that car which may get folded with them or me inside it. I consider my ITR a 4 wheeled sport bike, much safer alternative than riding on two wheels these days but still a risk.

Type R

Post by Type R » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:43 pm

Could tell by the comments the group of people into these cars are getting old. As an off campus student i commuted in college every day to the Bronx for 4 years in 98 ITR. Miraculously it never got stolen. Was a great city car and daily driver. Sold that car and was with out one from 04-12. Have been daily driving a 97 Itr and a rsx type s for the last 10 years. Wouldn't have it any other way.
@USDMITR

touringteg

Post by touringteg » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:00 pm

I would not daily drive one and don't even like to take my ITR to school/daycare.

I have two daughters 5 and 7 and had an ITR off and on the last 5 years. I like driving my ITR but I don't like parking it.

If I am just driving to and from daycare I am more concerned about wear and tear than theft. Mainly door dings from other parents and their children. It happens. Parents are also busy and stressed getting in out of many daycare and schools so there is an increased chance of an accident.

I thought it would be fun to take the kids around but neither of mine have much interest in going for fun drives in the ITR and the oldest gets motion sick in the back. They enjoying riding in the FK8 more and they especially like the red seat belts.

I would suggest just getting an 05 Mazda 3 GT hatchback or something for 3-5k for daily use (I would buy another). Then you don't need to worry about it.
CW ITR 01-1233 CDM Sold
CW ITR 98-0635 CDM
CW CTR 17-01818 CDM

aw614

Post by aw614 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:01 pm

The stock spring rates for an ITR are fine for daily driving and it is versatile with the trunk space. But after seeing wrecks of 90s hondas I share the same concerns ShuttlePilot mentions about dailying with more modern cars on the road especially with all the CUVs and SUVs. Being tapped twice in the rear due to inattentive drivers and tweaking the rear bumper skin, I've been very paranoid of all the drivers behind me.
-Andrew Wong

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:28 pm

I'm glad this question was asked. For those of us who had Integras back when they were stilling them new, it's very real.

I daily drove a 95 GS-R for nearly a decade in Chicago. Was theft a concern? You bet. Is it still a concern today? It depends on where you live, where you drive (and leave) it. Was it a huge concern in the past? I lost count how many friends had their ITRs stolen.

Can't comment on the Miata comparison, but I can with an NSX. The NSX is a bit smoother, and the ITR is a bit more connected and raw. Both are great fun around town. The ITR is actually a great daily car in many ways. However, compared to modern creature comforts and safety, it's not as good. It depends what you're looking for. I've been daily driving a TSX since 2009. I leave the ITRs for fun and occasional commutes. If you have some decent traffic, the close gearing in the ITR is awesome. Likewise, the brakes and LSD are very rewarding to work with. Have a long road trip ahead and don't mind losing rear traction a bit, remove the rear wing and get some amazing MPG. ...don't do this because those wing studs like to snap off though.

Car seats? It can work. I'd be more concerned about rear and side impact protection I suppose.

We also had an RSX, but once we needed a convertible car seat for our kiddo, it was getting tight in the rear seat. We opted for a new Accord 2.0T to replace it. Zero regrets on that. It has a faster 0 - 60 than a 91 NSX, haha. It has no business being that fast. :clownshoes:

...in short, Integras are incredibly fun cars to drive around town. It depends what you're looking for though.
:hammer:

SWFL_NSX

Post by SWFL_NSX » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:42 am

Thanks everybody for the thoughtful responses-you're got a great community here.

If I end up getting one I'll be sure to start a thread.

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:04 pm

SWFL_NSX wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:51 pm Not really concerned with theft.
:shock: