1997 Gsr & 2002 AP1 track/build log

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
PatHidden

Re: 1997 Gsr(and other cars) track/build log

Post by PatHidden » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:37 pm

aklackner wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:07 pm What are your plans for 4 lug brakes?
Currently, keep the spoon twinblocks and will use a 11 inch Mini Cooper Rotor. It's the new go-to setup for itr/spoon caliper upgrade for 4 lug setups.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

I tried the Mini rotors on my LS project to fit ITR calipers. Tried TSX pads and was never all that happy with them (why I took it 5 lug) but I bet the twin blocks would work nicely.

You'll lose is the Philips head locating screws for the rotors but you could fix that easy enough if you have access to a good sized drill press. Without them its a bit annoying doing pads, again probably less of an issue with the twin blocks since you don't have to pull the caliper.

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:25 pm

yea, I do consider that a con and also the holes for the studs are bigger than the actually honda studs. So that causes a movement when the wheel off the car. All this stuff that won't affect the brakes, or performance, but it isslightly annoying. There's also this shop on instagram that machines spacers to slide over the studs to fill the void. I may get a set of those, we will see.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:04 pm

Do you have a link to the shop that creates the spacers to slide over the studs? I haven't had any issues with the mini cooper/ITR caliper + TSX pad setup. I think my only issue with going bigger brakes was I didn't like how it added more front brake bias than I wanted. Since ITR calipers are expensive, I am just using RSX rear calipers with the EP3 rotors and Im happy with it (minus the whole removal of the caliper to bleed).

I am curious to see how the spoon calipers work with the mini cooper rotors. This close to biting the bullet...
-Andrew Wong

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:17 pm

aw614 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:04 pm Do you have a link to the shop that creates the spacers to slide over the studs? I haven't had any issues with the mini cooper/ITR caliper + TSX pad setup. I think my only issue with going bigger brakes was I didn't like how it added more front brake bias than I wanted. Since ITR calipers are expensive, I am just using RSX rear calipers with the EP3 rotors and Im happy with it (minus the whole removal of the caliper to bleed).

I am curious to see how the spoon calipers work with the mini cooper rotors. This close to biting the bullet...
I may pick up some rotors tonight.

and the guy's username is: aletheiamotorsports

ddwelch

Post by ddwelch » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm

PatHidden wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:14 am
ddwelch wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:29 am What are the some of the reasons you are switching from 5 back to 4 lug?
Wheel size mainly. I haven't seen a 15x9 5x114.3. The overall goal is run 15x9 all around the car. I am still looking for 4 lug rear trailing arms. I'll update with some pics but I already installed 4lug up front. I am going to use a mini cooper rotor and still utilize the spoon calipers. So for one event, I will have 5 lug rear and 4 lug front.

The other reason is I can sell the 5 lug and TE37s, which will net cash after I replace with 949s and 4 lug.
I have actually been contemplating the same thing which was why I was asking. I feel my car is not short on brakes, but could still use more tire (current setup is 15x8 on a 225/45). Running into the same issue with the lack of 15x9 in 5x114.3 wheels. There are Rotas in 15x9 +35 on amazon, but not sure I want to go that route yet. Coming full circle with the thoughts of converting to 4 lug, Mini rotor, itr caliper just because the vast availability of 15x9 wheels in decent offsets ready to be bought.

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:46 am

I have a complete 4 lug f/r setup off my gsr. Good rust-free west coast condition with about 100k, if you're interested.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:41 am

ddwelch wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm
PatHidden wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:14 am
ddwelch wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:29 am What are the some of the reasons you are switching from 5 back to 4 lug?
Wheel size mainly. I haven't seen a 15x9 5x114.3. The overall goal is run 15x9 all around the car. I am still looking for 4 lug rear trailing arms. I'll update with some pics but I already installed 4lug up front. I am going to use a mini cooper rotor and still utilize the spoon calipers. So for one event, I will have 5 lug rear and 4 lug front.

The other reason is I can sell the 5 lug and TE37s, which will net cash after I replace with 949s and 4 lug.
I have actually been contemplating the same thing which was why I was asking. I feel my car is not short on brakes, but could still use more tire (current setup is 15x8 on a 225/45). Running into the same issue with the lack of 15x9 in 5x114.3 wheels. There are Rotas in 15x9 +35 on amazon, but not sure I want to go that route yet. Coming full circle with the thoughts of converting to 4 lug, Mini rotor, itr caliper just because the vast availability of 15x9 wheels in decent offsets ready to be bought.
I think if I had an itr, it would be a harder choice. However, with my Gsr as a track car, I rather go with the setup that is easily replaceable. 4 lug is everywhere and tons of wheels.

Dave7CDMTYPER wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:46 am I have a complete 4 lug f/r setup off my gsr. Good rust-free west coast condition with about 100k, if you're interested.
I already got front knuckles, but I am looking for rear trailing arms. I'll keep this in mind, but I'll probably find a set locally pretty quick .

So I wanted to get the car ready for PCA March 2nd-3rd but I don't think I will. I also need tires, which will hurt the wallet on top of other things. I would take the s2000, but I just sent one of my JRZs to the re-builder. I'll post more tonight about my s2000 and its latest track days.

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:46 pm

Let talk s2000, my new daily/track toy. (bad idea guys)

So I bought a 2002 s2000 to track. I actually already had an s2000, but this red one popped up for a good price, and it had work done to it already. I thought, "hey, this is easier and I'll sell my first s2000, plus red is faster"

The new s2000 came with RPF1s, a wing, and was prepped for track. So a week after owning it I took it to Spring Mountain for a shake down. I didn't do anything to the car, haha. risky :hammer:

PCA SMMR 11-20-2018:
Anyways, the car was cool but the big wang and staggered setup made it understeer way more than a s2000 should ever!

did a 2:45.43, which is pretty good imo on some 4 year old RS3s. I had a 2:44 on the predictive going into turn 5,but I missed shifted going into forth. I blame not have a bucket seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Wi7l8w1ng&t=9s

I already bought the following for my original s2000:
-used JRZ Race Singles
-evs front extended ball joint (lower)
-spoon rear toe arms
-17x9 +40 Team Dynamics Square with Federal RSR 220tw
-Bride zeta 3
-pci rail
and other little things...

So I switched it all over to the new one, and put the my old blue s2000 up for sale.
My buddy Billy,from functiontheory, took a bunch of pics of the car

finished product:

SCCALV LVMS shortcourse 1-26-19:

The local Scca decided to organize a track day which they haven't done in many years. It was the perfect event to test out the new setup. I ended doing a 1:44.7 with wing and 1:45.1 without. The car could probably do a high 43s? I was only like 2 sec off pace of s2000s with aero and on Rcomps. Keep in mind I only have a 220tw tire and the tires suck ahaha. After one hot lap the grip falls off.

non aero lap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2teheR9Ars

Speedventures CVR cw 2-10-19:

Spontaneous track day honestly. My best here, in the integra, is a 2:05.xxx. My hope was to do a 2:07 even on the Federal RSRs. However, after driving the car and learning more, it has a bunch of mechanical grip. So its doable for sure.

I ended up doing a 2:09.10x. I am happy about it but the car's was handle weird on mid turn and exit. I discovered the reason being lack of rear travel causing the damper to bottom out. I'll address this soon. The problem is not as easy as just raising the car up. These used JRZs, are older models and I'm unsure about how they were designed but the shock bodies are just way too long. Unfortunately, I am going to have to get new dampers for the rear. I'll post more about that later.

Here's some laps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBlEv-Mbpsg

I suspected this prior, and did the zip tie trick. Guess what, the zipties were smashed and fell off. lovely. :moneyburn:
Bump travel at ride height pic:

Hoping to have the integra rolling again tomorrow.

Purplepassiongsr

Post by Purplepassiongsr » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Curious how you went about replacing the roof cap to block off the sunroof. Looking to do the same here on mine and kicking around options. Thanks for any suggestions and keep up the good work! :drink: