Source for decent zinc plated reman Teg rear calipers?

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
KIngpinMachine

Source for decent zinc plated reman Teg rear calipers?

Post by KIngpinMachine » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:46 pm

Maybe I am missing something but every search I do seems to come up with calipers that aren't zinc plated or only one side is available zinc plated. (I believe that is the case on RockAuto.) My GSR has been dead reliable since I bought in 2006 but the one thing that gives me fits is rear calipers. They have three stages: 1) Dragging lightly and dusting the shit out of my rear wheels when newish 2) Then progressing to somewhat locked up but drivable 3) Fully locked up and filling car with acrid brake smoke. Undrivable.

I am currently at 2 on one side and 3 on the other. Last calipers I bought weren't zinc plated and turned to rust first rain. Any sources? Thanks in advance!

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Re: Source for decent zinc plated reman Teg rear calipers?

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:16 am

Your rear brake calipers are locking up? Because they get rusty?

I may be wrong, but I'm, pretty sure I heard (a few years ago) that zinc plated calipers are not longer offered by Honda. Even if they are available new, they don't come zinc plated any more.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

KIngpinMachine

Post by KIngpinMachine » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:23 am

Nah, they just lock up because the remans are junk I would guess. Just sucks having to install parts that look like they have been soaking in the ocean a year after a short time. Is what it is I guess. Great car but I hate the constant rear caliper problems.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:46 am

Dave7CDMTYPER wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:16 am Your rear brake calipers are locking up? Because they get rusty?

I may be wrong, but I'm, pretty sure I heard (a few years ago) that zinc plated calipers are not longer offered by Honda. Even if they are available new, they don't come zinc plated any more.
This rings a bell. I know Honda changed coatings due to cancer concerns with the old coatings. The car show crowd were re-coating bolts to match the old style for their builds.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Dave7CDMTYPER

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:15 pm

KIngpinMachine wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:23 am Nah, they just lock up because the remans are junk I would guess. Just sucks having to install parts that look like they have been soaking in the ocean a year after a short time. Is what it is I guess. Great car but I hate the constant rear caliper problems.
Surely someone here has a good solution for you. That seems like an unnecessary problem to have on a Honda.
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R

shuttlepilot

Post by shuttlepilot » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:58 pm

Has anyone ever fully taken apart the caliper including the parking brake mechanism to clean out those parts? I think the problem with remans is the corrosion deep inside in the mechanism doesn't get cleaned out during their rebuild. I had consistent problems with reman calipers on my MK3 Golf until I just bought new ones. I was never able to figure out how to fully take the mechanism apart to get it down to bare parts. The parking brake mechanism on the reman ones always would stick after about 6 months to a year.

I recommend getting new ones if possible and change that brake fluid regularly so the mechanism inside doesn't corrode. My new calipers have never sticked again with regular brake fluid changes. For painting the calipers, I've had great success with rustoleum caliper paint when laid down with many coats. You need to clean off the surface really good for prep.

KIngpinMachine

Post by KIngpinMachine » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:50 pm

Unfortunately the calipers are no longer available new but I completely agree with your assessment. The rear calipers are more complex than the fronts and caliper remanufacturing is a fairly high volume, low profit margin business. I suspect attention to detail is not high on the list of priorities for the hiring manager. A heartbeat and working hands are probably the only requirements. I may just have to buy a set, disassemble, clean, send out for plating and then really inspect and replace needed components and reassemble. Will probably buy a pair to get the car operational and then another pair to do right. 25 year old car problems. Hehe.

Dave7CDMTYPER

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:00 am

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. :thumbup:
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:31 pm

KIngpinMachine wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:23 am Nah, they just lock up because the remans are junk I would guess. Just sucks having to install parts that look like they have been soaking in the ocean a year after a short time. Is what it is I guess. Great car but I hate the constant rear caliper problems.
How old are your brake lines? This sounds very similar to what has happened on my mom's old car. The calipers kept dragging and seizing, even when replaced with new. Turns out there was rust caught in both rear brake lines (not sure how it got there) which was allowing the piston to compress the brake pad but not return back in, thus causing it to drag/seize. Once I replaced the lines the issue never came back.

KIngpinMachine

Post by KIngpinMachine » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:27 pm

Definitely worth a look. Thanks for the heads up! It is a 95 (GSR) with original rear brake lines. I have a pair of ITR front calipers/brackets that I had zinc plated and will rebuild, bigger rotors and braided brake lines to replace OEM front stuff. Might as well replace both rear calipers and have a look at rear brake lines when I do that. Hoping I can get left side of garage cleaned out soon and get the old girl back in for some love. When you have a CNC lathe, 7.5 HP air compressor, decent size bead blast cabinet, 2 sets of shelves and other shit on right side of 2 car garage it is a challenge! Left side of garage has a 50 ton electric over hydraulic press at front and cabinets, 24" wide work bench (to try and preserve some room) and other crap at left. 10 lbs o' shit in a 5 lb bag.