removing and replacing hatch glass for paint

This forum contains various technical threads, how-tos, etc.
hybrid4

removing and replacing hatch glass for paint

Post by hybrid4 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:29 am

Quick question for those of you that are restoring and painting your Rs. I'm wanting to pull all the glass before going to paint and need to know what parts i MUST replace when taking out the rear hatch glass. With parts getting scarce i want to place my order soon. I can assume I'd want to change the molding 73251-ST7-305(still available) but what else is necessary for this project? Do i need to buy side dams or top seals? Thanks for any tips.

yoshi234
Badge Number: 234

Re: removing and replacing hatch glass for paint

Post by yoshi234 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:27 am

I'd like to know also!

Hatch glass is rattling on mine so I think it needs to be removed and then attached with new parts?
00 ITR #234
00 Bolt EV
21 Highlander Hybrid
:geek:

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:17 pm

After watching the professional glass guys remove the quarter panels I wouldn’t risk it as a diy .
Over on the H- thread dude had the glass shatter on a street somehow. He had it replaced, maybe he could give you some insight on how the shattered glass was removed ?

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-int ... 83/page24/

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:19 pm

Stin1 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:17 pm After watching the professional glass guys remove the quarter panels I wouldn’t risk it as a diy .
Over on the H- thread dude had the glass shatter on a street somehow. He had it replaced, maybe he could give you some insight on how the shattered glass was removed ?

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-int ... 83/page24/
I had the rear glass replaced on my 2000 snatch back and the guy got it out all one piece.

hybrid4

Post by hybrid4 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:24 pm

thanks for the link and yes, definitely not a diy job. i just wanted to know what parts do i need to order in advance of having this done. is it even worth the hassle? idk. i just didn't want the mask lines that would come with painting it while the glass and molding was still intact.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:25 pm

If you can do it yes ! I did my snatchbak after a paint . They “roped “it . The trim was going bad later . Glass was replaced. The car has no molding you had to buy the whole thing like the quarters. If I lift the molding the paint line is very visible.

Nick MC

Post by Nick MC » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:19 pm

I used a dremel multi knife. It cuts like butter. I also used it for the quarter glass. Just pay attention and don’t put excessive pressure on the glass and take your time. Did this twice with no issue to the glass. I actually broke my dremel the first hatch and went with a Milwaukee as a replacement. The sealant is soft so you should feel minimum resistance. The molding is replaceable and there is a procedure in the Acura manual to replace it. It requires you to cut off the old one, prime the glass and glue the new on. The window edge is still available as off 6 months ago.Image
01-1058: Sold
'00 EBP Civic Si: Sold
'09 Civic LX-S Wife wagon
'13 Silverado Tow Vehicle