FK8 CTR HPDE Thread

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Dave-ROR

Re: Update

Post by Dave-ROR » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:42 pm

voiddweller wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:16 pm The point of getting the CTR (in my case) was so I wouldn't need to do anything except add pads, high temp fluids, and normal 'HPDE' maintenance. This was wishful thinking. It's still a good car but Honda might have oversold it a bit :)

After researching HPDE overheating issues and solutions, I've decided that there are a couple simple changes that might make a difference: Water Wetter and (to a lesser extent) engine oil. Temperature and humidity are starting to decline in Pittsburgh, so I probably won't know the impacts for a while unless I decide to take the car down to Sebring in the Spring. If the high heat issues are resolved, I'll move down to 18" wheels and tires to keep the durable costs in check.

More involved solutions that I've read about, but shouldn't be difficult to do, are adding a larger radiator and oil cooler. There are still not a lot of aftermarket choices and only a few people posting their HPDE data.

I may forgo touching the engine bay and run the heater at full blast with some air duct extensions on the floor heater vents that route the heat way from the driver's feet. Not my first choice, but this should keep the water/oil temperature in check without burning my ankles as long the parts don't interfere with the pedals. I'll need to figure out a safe clamping mechanism that will hold firm and be easy to remove.

Dave is looking into getting a Camaro 1SS with the track pack due to similar issues (in addition to differential cooling) with his Focus RS.

Once things settle down at work and I'm motivated enough, I'll see about getting in one more track day before the venues close.

Zero RDU issues on my RS ever. It's supposed to happen are very tight technical tracks, of which, I drive on exactly 0...

Oil temps, even with a big cooler, are the problem I have. The coolant is fine ;)
-Dave
Drives.. too many f'ing cars.

voiddweller

Re: FK8 CTR HPDE Thread

Post by voiddweller » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 pm

Here's Dave's last run in the CTR at Pitt Race. https://youtu.be/So3f5Z1jV1Q
'19 ZLE, '12 MDX, '04 TSX MT,

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:52 pm

Nice video :thumbup: Car looks quick.

How's the new, full PittRace Full setup?
:hammer:

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:19 pm

I enjoyed the full course. Good elevation changes and challenging corners. It's not as fast as some of my favorite tracks like Road Atlanta, Road America, VIR, and Sebring. I'd give it a 7 on a 1-10 scale.

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:20 pm

voiddweller wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:19 pm I enjoyed the full course. Good elevation changes and challenging corners. It's not as fast as some of my favorite tracks like Road Atlanta, Road America, VIR, and Sebring. I'd give it a 7 on a 1-10 scale.
Thank you for that. We've discussed working with them again a few times. I haven't been there since 2004 and want to visit again soon. The new section looks fun!
:hammer:

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:42 am

cheezthis wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:20 pm Thank you for that. We've discussed working with them again a few times. I haven't been there since 2004 and want to visit again soon. The new section looks fun!
This was my first time. I'm not sure how much has changed since 2004, but there's no lack of space. The North track garage area was a bit smaller than Road America. Bathrooms were clean. Staff seemed friendly. There is a shop on site. The food vendor said they come for most events. Business is best for them during drift events :) over in the "Vehicle Dynamics Area."

When I was talking to Mark@Chin after the last session, the owner came over to greet us. I think his name was Jim. Very nice guy.