FK8 CTR HPDE Thread

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
voiddweller

Re: FK8 CTR HPDE Thread

Post by voiddweller » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:19 pm

Dave-ROR wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:03 pm
I'd be curious on Patrick's corner speeds. He could exit with more boost but if it were spinning the tires or the car was more upset at entry through apex it could have accounted for the lower max speeds. I would think that he would have noticed that, but data would be huge in figuring that out.
I'll be picking up the replacement parts at the Honda dealer tomorrow during my lunch break and will try to stop by Patrick's shop on my way home. I forgot the Android app he was using for data...

I ordered a replacement WiFi ODB2 reader for Torque that should be in tomorrow. We can use it in combination with RaceChrono to try and see what's going on. If necessary, I'll look into getting a KPro or FlashPro.
'19 ZLE, '12 MDX, '04 TSX MT,

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Patrick just confirmed that his entry and exit speeds were 5mph faster with VSA fully disabled. He said boost was not impacted, but the data displayed a 108 mph speed limit in effect until VSA was turned back on.

ayau

Post by ayau » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:01 pm

From Eibach

Spring Rates OEM vs Eibach Pro-kit
Front OE= 263lb/in
Front Eibach= 291lbs/in

Rear are progressive
Rear OE= 246lb/in
Rear Eibach= 274lb/in

Dave-ROR

Post by Dave-ROR » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:39 pm

voiddweller wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:51 pm Patrick just confirmed that his entry and exit speeds were 5mph faster with VSA fully disabled. He said boost was not impacted, but the data displayed a 108 mph speed limit in effect until VSA was turned back on.
Well, that's annoying. That would SUCK at a big track like VIR or Sebring, etc.
-Dave
Drives.. too many f'ing cars.

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:03 pm

ayau wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:01 pm From Eibach

Spring Rates OEM vs Eibach Pro-kit
Front OE= 263lb/in
Front Eibach= 291lbs/in

Rear are progressive
Rear OE= 246lb/in
Rear Eibach= 274lb/in
Thanks for posting!

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:09 pm

I called Honda Customer Service again today after the local dealership asked if there were any warning lights (I said, "No.") and wanted $95 to run a diagnostic for the high coolant temperature. They were clear that it wouldn't be covered under warranty. The Honda CSR recommended that I hold off on the diagnostic and to take a pic the next time it overheats and added the information to my case number. The dealership Service Writer advised including the odometer reading in the pic and taking down the name of the Honda CSR, which I did. I guess I'll be setting up a camera pointing at the cluster for my next HPDE :)

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Dave-ROR wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:39 pm
voiddweller wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:51 pm Patrick just confirmed that his entry and exit speeds were 5mph faster with VSA fully disabled. He said boost was not impacted, but the data displayed a 108 mph speed limit in effect until VSA was turned back on.
Well, that's annoying. That would SUCK at a big track like VIR or Sebring, etc.
Agreed. I'm going to work on the CTR this weekend and offer to work with Patrick to find and test a solution.

ayau

Post by ayau » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:58 pm

voiddweller wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:09 pm I called Honda Customer Service again today after the local dealership asked if there were any warning lights (I said, "No.") and wanted $95 to run a diagnostic for the high coolant temperature. They were clear that it wouldn't be covered under warranty. The Honda CSR recommended that I hold off on the diagnostic and to take a pic the next time it overheats and added the information to my case number. The dealership Service Writer advised including the odometer reading in the pic and taking down the name of the Honda CSR, which I did. I guess I'll be setting up a camera pointing at the cluster for my next HPDE :)
I don’t know if recording yourself at an HPDE and showing that to Honda is the brightest idea in terms of warranty work.

Dave-ROR

Post by Dave-ROR » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:05 am

ayau wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:58 pm
voiddweller wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:09 pm I called Honda Customer Service again today after the local dealership asked if there were any warning lights (I said, "No.") and wanted $95 to run a diagnostic for the high coolant temperature. They were clear that it wouldn't be covered under warranty. The Honda CSR recommended that I hold off on the diagnostic and to take a pic the next time it overheats and added the information to my case number. The dealership Service Writer advised including the odometer reading in the pic and taking down the name of the Honda CSR, which I did. I guess I'll be setting up a camera pointing at the cluster for my next HPDE :)
I don’t know if recording yourself at an HPDE and showing that to Honda is the brightest idea in terms of warranty work.
Honda knows that track use is when the overheating issues occur and they asked owners to report the issue so that they can track it down. Certainly Honda can always pull that card, but unless there's clear abuse I doubt they will.. only Mitsubishi is that bad ;)
-Dave
Drives.. too many f'ing cars.

voiddweller

Update

Post by voiddweller » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:16 pm

The point of getting the CTR (in my case) was so I wouldn't need to do anything except add pads, high temp fluids, and normal 'HPDE' maintenance. This was wishful thinking. It's still a good car but Honda might have oversold it a bit :)

After researching HPDE overheating issues and solutions, I've decided that there are a couple simple changes that might make a difference: Water Wetter and (to a lesser extent) engine oil. Temperature and humidity are starting to decline in Pittsburgh, so I probably won't know the impacts for a while unless I decide to take the car down to Sebring in the Spring. If the high heat issues are resolved, I'll move down to 18" wheels and tires to keep the durable costs in check.

More involved solutions that I've read about, but shouldn't be difficult to do, are adding a larger radiator and oil cooler. There are still not a lot of aftermarket choices and only a few people posting their HPDE data.

I may forgo touching the engine bay and run the heater at full blast with some air duct extensions on the floor heater vents that route the heat way from the driver's feet. Not my first choice, but this should keep the water/oil temperature in check without burning my ankles as long the parts don't interfere with the pedals. I'll need to figure out a safe clamping mechanism that will hold firm and be easy to remove.

Dave is looking into getting a Camaro 1SS with the track pack due to similar issues (in addition to differential cooling) with his Focus RS.

Once things settle down at work and I'm motivated enough, I'll see about getting in one more track day before the venues close.