FK8 CTR HPDE Thread

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Dave-ROR

Re: FK8 CTR HPDE Thread

Post by Dave-ROR » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Outrun wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:12 pm I'm interested in how your cooling system performs.
It was good for 2 laps or so. I was running the heater full blast in the car and it stayed around 3/4 on the gauge maybe slightly higher.

Stability control (assumption) DESTROYED the rear pads though..
-Dave
Drives.. too many f'ing cars.

aw614

Post by aw614 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 am

Can you feel if stability control is still on even when it says "off"?
-Andrew Wong

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Zyg wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:26 am It was nice meeting up at Pitt Race ... Ed
Same here! Thanks for making the trip to hang out!
Outrun wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:12 pm I'm interested in how your cooling system performs.
Water temperature was pegged at a bar or two below max hot. Turning the heater on full blast lowered it a bit but turned my ankles and feet into barbecue :) Dave can keep me honest here, but I think we did a total of nine 30 minute sessions and one 45 minute session. I logged a case with Honda America and will be taking it to a local dealer after I replace the front tires and a rear rotor. One of the rear pads was totally destroyed and gouged the rotor. There was no wear indicator. We ran with VSA on and think it caused the rear brakes to be applied too often.
'19 ZLE, '12 MDX, '04 TSX MT,

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:44 pm

aw614 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 am Can you feel if stability control is still on even when it says "off"?
I didn't run with it off. Dave might have done one session with it off right before the rear brakes went on vacation.

ayau

Post by ayau » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:47 pm

I’m guessing rear inside brakes are applied automatically to help the car rotate.

Maybe running with traction off will disable it.

Dave-ROR

Post by Dave-ROR » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:49 pm

aw614 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 am Can you feel if stability control is still on even when it says "off"?
Yes. Off isn't off.

There is a procedure to actually turn it off, but the rear brake issue prevented me from trying it.

Process:
1. Turn car on.
2. Turn off the parking brake
3. Press and hold the brake pedal
4. Turn traction control off and then back on
5. Release brake pedal
6. Turn the parking brake on
7. Turn traction control off and then back on
8. Press and hold the brake pedal
9. Turn traction control off and then back on

The traction control/vsa light will stay on and a second light next to it will flash.

The direction I received had "Turn traction control on and then back off" but they meant the light, above I'm referring to "off" being "Stability Control VSA off" vs the light being off (which is VSA ON).
-Dave

ayau

Post by ayau » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Dave-ROR wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:49 pm
Yes. Off isn't off.

There is a procedure to actually turn it off, but the rear brake issue prevented me from trying it.

Process:
1. Turn car on.
5. Release brake pedal

The traction control/vsa light will stay on and a second light next to it will flash.

The direction I received had "Turn traction control on and then back off" but they meant the light, above I'm referring to "off" being "Stability Control VSA off" vs the light being off (which is VSA ON).
Thanks for that info.

When are you going to trade your RS for a CTR? :)

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Here is some additional info on VSA for the CTR from Honda. There's a small section on the +R mode. There was another CTR that ran with VSA disabled per Dave's instructions above and the driver mentioned that it felt better in the corners but his top speed and/or boost was reduced. I couldn't find any mention of this in the Honda documentation. I'm going to speak with him a bit more later this week.

Dave-ROR

Post by Dave-ROR » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:01 pm

ayau wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:52 pm
Dave-ROR wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:49 pm
Yes. Off isn't off.

Process:
1. Turn car on.
5. Release brake pedal

Thanks for that info.

When are you going to trade your RS for a CTR? :)
I liked the CTR, especially when it comes to the seats. The RS has more features, I bet it's at least as fast at the track, mine has consumed FAR less at the track over more track days and doesn't overheat the coolant.

So... never? :)
-Dave

Dave-ROR

Post by Dave-ROR » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:03 pm

voiddweller wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:00 pm Here is some additional info on VSA for the CTR from Honda. There's a small section on the +R mode. There was another CTR that ran with VSA disabled per Dave's instructions above and the driver mentioned that it felt better in the corners but his top speed and/or boost was reduced. I couldn't find any mention of this in the Honda documentation. I'm going to speak with him a bit more later this week.
I'd be curious on Patrick's corner speeds. He could exit with more boost but if it were spinning the tires or the car was more upset at entry through apex it could have accounted for the lower max speeds. I would think that he would have noticed that, but data would be huge in figuring that out.
-Dave