Thursday Musings: 996TT or CTR?

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Gotin
Badge Number: 01-1112

Re: Thursday Musings: 996TT or CTR?

Post by Gotin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:04 am

While getting the oil changed in the Odyssey, I was able to look over a new 2019 CTR. In Dayton Ohio it was $35,700 with no other fees on the sticker. If your children require car seats, the CTR has anchor points for car seats on both passenger/ driver rear, which you don't see often in a car.
-BJ-

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:44 pm

Xian wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:37 pm
coolhandluke wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:13 pm Is the use-case for spirited daily commuter?

Funny, I read “996T” and immediately thought of you.
:lol:

Yes? Mostly commuter/street car. Very occasional autox and track car... been getting to that stuff less and less lately. Planning to maybe do some GridLife Touring Cup and/or Enduro wheel to wheel this year if the schedule works.

FWIW, something like a Civic Si would probably be a smarter choice buuuut I’ve always found it so tough to pass up anything that’s “Type R”.
I have yet to drive the new CTR, but I was able to sit in one at each Type R Expo last year. The front end has grown on me. I would swap wheels for tracking/AutoX, the OE tires likely aren't cheap. We had almost 40x CTR's across both Expo's this year, so there is feedback if needed. :thumbup:

That being said, several here also bought the new Civic Si and speak highly.
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Xian

Post by Xian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Gotin wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:04 am While getting the oil changed in the Odyssey, I was able to look over a new 2019 CTR. In Dayton Ohio it was $35,700 with no other fees on the sticker. If your children require car seats, the CTR has anchor points for car seats on both passenger/ driver rear, which you don't see often in a car.
Good info :beer:

Out of curiosity, which dealership was that at? Around here they’re still looking to get a few grand over sticker.

Also just FWIW and all that but I managed to get a test drive in a used 2017 CTR over the weekend. It struck me as a car that hadn’t necessarily been beaten on but wasn’t “pristine” by any means. Overall, I came away impressed with the package. FANTASIC ride, ergonomics, and visibility out of the car. The ride in comfort or sport was really well damped without even a hint of harshness. The seats and all the cabin ergonomics were great/no complaints. Visibility was a welcome surprise with an airy feeling greenhouse and slender A-pillars. The brakes felt firm/good but I didn’t push the car too much. I’d say the biggest let down is that the power felt a little flat compared to what I was expecting. Don’t get me wrong, the car isn’t slow... it just didn’t have a hard “hit” when the turbo came online. I’m not certain if this is all down to the power curve or maybe the specific car that I drove? Looking at the speedometer, it would build speed quickly; it was just done without much drama/personality.

My takeaway is that I can see why folks are enjoying these and their Si brethren. The styling is a bit polarizing but the whole package is awfully appealing. :)
Christian - Closet Honda fanboi in FL

DC2Iggy

Post by DC2Iggy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:46 pm

I'd imagine the linear power delivery would be better than the "hard hit" for track purposes or spirited driving as it wouldn't upset the balance of the car as much.

My old STI was tuned to 22psi which came on hard and gave you that nice kick. It was great when you were going straight but when you tried to apply full throttle in a turn it would constantly upset the car's balance and would understeer/oversteer.

Gotin
Badge Number: 01-1112

Post by Gotin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:00 pm

Xian wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:01 pm
Gotin wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:04 am While getting the oil changed in the Odyssey, I was able to look over a new 2019 CTR. In Dayton Ohio it was $35,700 with no other fees on the sticker. If your children require car seats, the CTR has anchor points for car seats on both passenger/ driver rear, which you don't see often in a car.

Out of curiosity, which dealership was that at? Around here they’re still looking to get a few grand over sticker.

White Allen Honda, Dayton Ohio (located in Downtown).
-BJ-

Xian

Post by Xian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:19 pm

DC2Iggy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:46 pm I'd imagine the linear power delivery would be better than the "hard hit" for track purposes or spirited driving as it wouldn't upset the balance of the car as much.

My old STI was tuned to 22psi which came on hard and gave you that nice kick. It was great when you were going straight but when you tried to apply full throttle in a turn it would constantly upset the car's balance and would understeer/oversteer.
Yup, I agree that the linear power band/flat torque curve is legitimately better in every measurable way... except seat of the pants “feel”. ;)

Seriously though, I think the car is plenty quick; it’s just not obviously fast.

Xian

Post by Xian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:20 pm

Gotin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:00 pm
Xian wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:01 pm

White Allen Honda, Dayton Ohio (located in Downtown).
Thanks!

Dave7CDMTYPER
Badge Number: 01-1322

Post by Dave7CDMTYPER » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:03 pm

DC2Iggy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:46 pm I'd imagine the linear power delivery would be better than the "hard hit" for track purposes or spirited driving as it wouldn't upset the balance of the car as much.

I had an '06 sti and the power surge and massive torque were excellent. :thumbup:
ITR CDM 01-1322
2001 GS-R
I have badge #00-1259 in hand.

noahf

Post by noahf » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:32 pm

I went slightly different route than you and im not sure if im going to regret it or not. I was at a point where I really wanted a GTR (r35) for a daily (and i drive a LOT.) When the CTR was announced/actual I was really temped but the pricing didnt seem to make a lot of sense to me. Its expensive (in SoCal its still heaps of MU) but as alackner mentioned earlier, it really looks like it lost any analog feeling to the road. Its very sterile and honestly the exterior hasnt grown on me. I mean, it took 8-9 years for me to start liking how the r35 looked, so it might be a while before I really lust for a CTR. In the end, its not worth it to me. Which is why I passed on the new CTR. I also didnt get a GTR but thats because Im an idiot. Im also a honda fan, and currently own 3. 2 of which are 98 r's. But I grew up loving that era car, not the current era.

p.s. when it comes to mark up, a lot of times they will waive it if you are serious. One time I was at a bmw dealership and they were willing to waive the 100k markup on the m4 track edition @ msrp of 134k. Just saying, these cars arnt flying like they used to, so msrp shouldnt be impossible.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:07 pm

noahf wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:32 pm ...When the CTR was announced/actual I was really temped but the pricing didnt seem to make a lot of sense to me. Its expensive (in SoCal its still heaps of MU)....

p.s. when it comes to mark up, a lot of times they will waive it if you are serious. One time I was at a bmw dealership and they were willing to waive the 100k markup on the m4 track edition @ msrp of 134k. Just saying, these cars arnt flying like they used to, so msrp shouldnt be impossible.
SoCal has an MR for MSRP: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=622
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171