Glass removal

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aklackner

Re: Glass removal

Post by aklackner » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:39 pm

FYI, unless someone has stock Acura has the windshield 73111-ST7-A01 as backorder with no eta.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Got the cutting wire today like all the tools I've used on this there's a learning curve (probably less so than the cold knife) but the rear window is out intact.

I wish I had the wire when I did the windshield it would have saved time and effort.

If you attempt the rear window on your own, make sure to check the manual carefully there's a good hint on how to get the top side cut with the wire. I thinks it's easiest if you start on the side and use 10'-12' length of wire. When you get toward the upper corner, close the hatch and drop the outside wire in to the upper gutter all the way through to the other side of the car. Reopen the hatch and seat the wire between the hatch and the glass all the way around the corner. Make sure you have enough wire to grab both ends from the far side. Go to the far side of the car and make sure the wire is seated between the glass and the hatch the entire upper length (there are notches in the hatch at the hinges if you drop into one of these you'll get hung up, you'll hear it). As you initially start sawing with the wire, there will be a ton of drag since you're wrapping a corner and the entire upper adhesive. Try to keep the outside wire high to avoid contact with the body and to make it a little bit easier. I also found trying to use dowels or handles made it more awkward than it was worth. I just wore my large welding gloves and wrapped the wire around my palms and\or my fingers depending where I wanted to direct the wire.

There are still sections where the cold knife came in handy, specifically to cut the lower adhesive and lower fasteners.

The cold knife is also still the only way I see to get the quarter glass out. The lower and rear sides are pretty straight forward to cut with it. Due to the depth of the door side I'm glad I had a full "kit". The wide silver blade below was the only way I had to reach the door side adhesive with enough strength to cut it. I used a fine file to give it a bit more of an edge and maintain it as I went. I still have the second quarter glass to get out so I'll share any additional insights.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:21 pm

The driver side quarter glass is out, but not intact.

It looks like the driver side had been removed at some point and had a lot more adhesive applied than the passenger side. After putting all the energy I had into it today I got over aggressive with trying to separate it and it shattered from the excessive strain.

Best advise on glass removal I can give is that it’s best to leave it to a professional. ;)

The good news for me is the objective was still achieved (all glass is out) and that the broken quarter glass has little impact for me.

Stin1

Post by Stin1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Glad you got it done. Sucks about the glass.

aklackner

Post by aklackner » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:32 am

Cleared the old seal off the rear glass and played around with the oem replacement seal. It was very stiff until it got some sun and heat (yeah it was 79 in SoCal today ) still no where near the same as the original seal.

I’ll probably try to pull the rear glass from the LS and if I can keep the molding clean, roll with that. I’ll order new OEM quarter glass though.