1997 Gsr & 2002 AP1 track/build log

Feel free to discuss anything about the late 80s to early 00s Hondas and Acuras!
ddwelch

Re: 1997 Gsr(and other cars) track/build log

Post by ddwelch » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:30 pm

What caused those cracks in the rear?

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:09 pm

ddwelch wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:30 pm What caused those cracks in the rear?
Haul'n the mail. :mrgreen:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

Rboosted717

Post by Rboosted717 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Ever wonder why one of the Type R chassis modifications Honda did was to increase the rear wheelhouse thickness? This is a common problem to have on non-Type R DC2 chassis that see a lot of spirited track driving. The rear roof rail and pillar will also start to show signs of stress via cracks and ripples. The amount of stress the rear body experiences is pretty amazing.

I bet non-Type R enthusiasts will find it surprising that more is behind the DC2 Type R then the red emblems, decals, red valve cover and big rear wing... Honda did a lot to make it a competitive FIA approved chassis.
98-0108 : West Coast Acura Training Center Collector Car
98-0717 : Time Attack/SFWD drag car
98-0731 : Spa 24H & Speedvision/SPEED World Challenge Race Car
FTI-98-03 : Spa 24H & Belgian Procar - Manufacture World Champion

DC4MC

Post by DC4MC » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Rboosted717 wrote:
Ever wonder why one of the Type R chassis modifications Honda did was to increase the rear wheelhouse thickness? This is a common problem to have on non-Type R DC2 chassis that see a lot of spirited track driving. The rear roof rail and pillar will also start to show signs of stress via cracks and ripples. The amount of stress the rear body experiences is pretty amazing.

I bet non-Type R enthusiasts will find it surprising that more is behind the DC2 Type R then the red emblems, decals, red valve cover and big rear wing... Honda did a lot to make it a competitive FIA approved chassis.
I bought a type r rear quarter panel thinking the only difference was the holes for the moldings. It took some extra work to get it on the car and fit up correct for the guy that did the work.

Rboosted717

Post by Rboosted717 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 pm

DC4MC wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:59 pm
Rboosted717 wrote:

I bought a type r rear quarter panel thinking the only difference was the holes for the moldings. It took some extra work to get it on the car and fit up correct for the guy that did the work.

The key is to cut a Type R in half and take EVERYTHING behind the rear seats. It's the only way to get the entire package. Either that or install a well engineering roll cage that strengths all those areas, or do both.

I always found it funny that you can find JDM front clips EVERYWHERE but never a rear clips. Who care's about the Type R motor, IMO it's the most underwhelming part of the car. That and the transmission. Pro touring cars would eat Type R's up for lunch because the motor/drivetrain but thankfully the chassis was outstanding and could make for the disadvantage.
98-0108 : West Coast Acura Training Center Collector Car
98-0717 : Time Attack/SFWD drag car
98-0731 : Spa 24H & Speedvision/SPEED World Challenge Race Car
FTI-98-03 : Spa 24H & Belgian Procar - Manufacture World Champion

ddwelch

Post by ddwelch » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:55 am

Rboosted717 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:42 pm

I figured that was the case causing the cracks, just have never seen it before first hand or even in pictures. Just heard stories about it potentially happening.

Sort of Fast

Post by Sort of Fast » Tue May 01, 2018 9:51 am

Rboosted717 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 pm
DC4MC wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:59 pm
Rboosted717 wrote:

The key is to cut a Type R in half and take EVERYTHING behind the rear seats. It's the only way to get the entire package. Either that or install a well engineering roll cage that strengths all those areas, or do both.

I always found it funny that you can find JDM front clips EVERYWHERE but never a rear clips. Who care's about the Type R motor, IMO it's the most underwhelming part of the car. That and the transmission. Pro touring cars would eat Type R's up for lunch because the motor/drivetrain but thankfully the chassis was outstanding and could make for the disadvantage.
Yup, agree. Motor is kind of weak, but I blame a lot of it on the factory tune. My car unfortunately has the p73 ecu at the moment so vtec doesn't engage till 6k rpm. Also doesn't help when you have a 4.4 final drive either. I'm pretty much dead mid corner with the car as it has no pickup from 5-6k rpm. It pulls fine high end. I think if I ever crash my current ITR on track I may end up picking up a DC5/RSX chassis and work with that. Chassis is very rigid, and many parts avail to work around the faulted suspension geometry. I find it kind of interesting that the fastest Integra around Tsukuba currently is a DC5 with a stock K20a. Ran 58's last year, and this year running a built K24. Been following the shop for awhile. Car is very impressive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XrO238nszw
ITR Cult Following: A group of people that has a set of beliefs in which the ITR is viewed as being the bestest FWD ever made, everyone else is wrong.

PatHidden

Post by PatHidden » Thu May 03, 2018 12:32 pm

coolhandluke wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am How are the rear brakes holding up? I found it odd you were running through rear pads, but you do haul the mail so...
I honestly haven't looked yet. but should be fine? haha
coolhandluke wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:38 am
PatHidden wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 am
upcoming track days :
April buttonwillow
Type R Expo West!
QFT :D
I think I spoke too soon, West isn't going to happen. My girl and I have something planned, and I bought that s2000. I am gonna post some updates on the HFF event at LVMS, but integra is currently in retirement for a 2nd time. This build may morph into s2000 related stuff.
g3teg97 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:55 pm Love this build.

I wouldn't mind picking up an S100...where abouts did you locate that one?
Thanks, I appreciate it!

I found it bnib on Craigslist.
Rboosted717 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:42 pm The rear roof rail and pillar will also start to show signs of stress via cracks and ripples.
I got those too unfortunately. maybe ill snap a photo.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Thu May 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Retirement? Uh oh...
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

g3teg97
Badge Number: 98-0379

Post by g3teg97 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:29 pm

So that wheelhouse is essentially the rear wheel well? Usually is black, but then over time it gets nasty to the point where it needs to be repainted. I wanna say someone on the old forums used POR15 in that area.