Thoughts on timing belt replacement. 11 years >6000 miles

This forum contains various technical threads, how-tos, etc.
Dpine

Thoughts on timing belt replacement. 11 years >6000 miles

Post by Dpine » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:09 pm

I had this done right before EXPO 12 so its been a while. Thoughts on changing the water pump at the same time? If the engine had a normal amount of miles on it this it would be a no brainer to change out the water pump and other items at the same time. Just doing the belt and the tensioner would simply things a bit. Just looking for opinions.

JDMJNKY
Badge Number: 0874

Re: Thoughts on timing belt replacement. 11 years >6000 miles

Post by JDMJNKY » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:36 pm

an incipient tragedy, if left unattended.

DC231

Post by DC231 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:12 am

Dpine wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:09 pm I had this done right before EXPO 12 so its been a while. Thoughts on changing the water pump at the same time? If the engine had a normal amount of miles on it this it would be a no brainer to change out the water pump and other items at the same time. Just doing the belt and the tensioner would simply things a bit. Just looking for opinions.
I agree with jdmjnky. I'm pretty sure the water pump has a rubber seal on the shaft as well so you're going this route based on replacing the rubber parts right? I'd say an extra $250 is cheap insurance to know that you won't have to do the job again in a year or two.

Dpine

Post by Dpine » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:10 pm

DC231 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:12 am
Dpine wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:09 pm I had this done right before EXPO 12 so its been a while. Thoughts on changing the water pump at the same time? If the engine had a normal amount of miles on it this it would be a no brainer to change out the water pump and other items at the same time. Just doing the belt and the tensioner would simply things a bit. Just looking for opinions.
I agree with jdmjnky. I'm pretty sure the water pump has a rubber seal on the shaft as well so you're going this route based on replacing the rubber parts right? I'd say an extra $250 is cheap insurance to know that you won't have to do the job again in a year or two.
I have a new water pump. I have no problem replacing it. In my mind Im throwing away a barely used part. I have no idea how many oem water pumps are available. That's the only reason I was asking for opinions. I suppose I could buy the gasket (if its available)and keep the pump for the next time.

DC231

Post by DC231 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:50 pm

Dpine wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:10 pm
DC231 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:12 am
I have a new water pump. I have no problem replacing it. In my mind Im throwing away a barely used part. I have no idea how many oem water pumps are available. That's the only reason I was asking for opinions. I suppose I could buy the gasket (if its available)and keep the pump for the next time.
From your perspective you should only replace the belt. The tensioner is just a simple bearing with very low miles it would have no issue going another 10 years 100k miles.