Things to know before buying an FK8

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aklackner

Things to know before buying an FK8

Post by aklackner » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:11 pm

I’ve toyed with the idea and now have a friend seriously considering buying an FK8.

For those that have researched or bought what does a prospective buyer need to know?

This is in SoCal if that raises any region specific items.

Thanks as always

LoooseR

Re: Things to know before buying an FK8

Post by LoooseR » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:16 pm

I sold my 98 ITR for one and I couldn’t be happier.

Granted, the usage should be something to think about. The overheating issues on track are real, but seems like I hear less about them in 19+ models. I did a track day in AZ in December and had no issues.

CA owners will have to contend with new laws regarding ecu modification, so if power and mods are the goal, then tread carefully. Intake doesn’t really require a tune but anything else likely should have one.

I have no idea why Honda put 20s on this car, they’re made of glass and tires are expensive, switch to 18s, you’re welcome.

All in all, I could get into more specifics but I’m still learning the platform myself and I couldn’t be happier. As a DD it does EVERYTHING well, as a track weapon with the right cooling modifications it’s a beast with insane grip…I’ve driven lots of cars on track and I adore the FK8

My .02
98-0811

krazychowmein

Post by krazychowmein » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:36 pm

LoooseR wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:16 pm I sold my 98 ITR for one and I couldn’t be happier.

Granted, the usage should be something to think about. The overheating issues on track are real, but seems like I hear less about them in 19+ models. I did a track day in AZ in December and had no issues.

CA owners will have to contend with new laws regarding ecu modification, so if power and mods are the goal, then tread carefully. Intake doesn’t really require a tune but anything else likely should have one.

I have no idea why Honda put 20s on this car, they’re made of glass and tires are expensive, switch to 18s, you’re welcome.

All in all, I could get into more specifics but I’m still learning the platform myself and I couldn’t be happier. As a DD it does EVERYTHING well, as a track weapon with the right cooling modifications it’s a beast with insane grip…I’ve driven lots of cars on track and I adore the FK8

My .02
LoooseR summed it up pretty well. I tracked the ITR for 4 years and got a 2018 WRX as a daily fun car it last a year and then Subaru bought it back because #subaru. Picked up my CTR in 2019 and as a daily it's great, I'm rolling on Ohlins coilovers (ride is slightly stiffer than stock R mode).

Overheating - I have quite a few friends who threw a ton of cooling mods (some successful / some not)Last track day at Sonoma on Hondata base map - 85 ambient temps and no over heating. My only cooling mods are - vented hood, J's grill, and I'm glad to say I didn't overheat (1:52 lap time). Prior to the hood I did overheat the last time at Sonoma with the same ambient temps minus the hood and grill.

Fuel issues - if you start a session with half tank expect to get a check engine light and have to come off. It's another known issue, easily fixed by making sure you have 3/4 tank or more. Slightly annoying but less annoying than overheating.

Wheels - I daily on 18" and track on 18". The OEM wheels are made of the softest metal on earth, you feel every pothole and cringe each time.

Gripes - paint is paper thin, windshield is paper thin (already replaced one), rear end was the ugliest on earth until the new WRX was released, and you have every kid on earth trying to race you.

Pros- I can haul the kids and track with minimal modifications, seats are some of the best, lots of cargo room when the kids seats are removed and seats folded down.

touringteg

Post by touringteg » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:24 pm

I made a big post but for some reason it is gone.

I have had a 19 FK8 2300 kms now and 17 FK8 41kms. I kept my 98 ITR. The ITR is more raw and fun and definitely more race car. The FK8 CTR is more comfortable, versatile, carries kids easily, AC etc. I love the seats too! Comfortable and enough holding power. I like having both cars for different purposes. I love that I can buy lots of new FK8 parts and they are all available at least for now! I have a couple extra sets of floor mats, new Type R trunk mat. I've replaced some interior parts to refresh.

I have tracked my 17 FK8 and no over heating issues. It was a hot summer day but luckily not a scorcher.
I removed and traded the Hondata I had away because a local was overheating with it and had to go to the stock map for the last two sessions to stop it from over heating. I have no interest in doing power mods for now. I tracked with it stock and it did just fine. Sticky tires will help a lot. For next season I have 18x9.5 +45 Enkei Kojin with Toyo R888R, AP front brake rotors and Spoon brake pads.

Can confirm you need to keep it over half a tank at the track. I had this issues with my BMW 1M as well. It would fuel starve on a hard corner and full acceleration. So this issue is not specific to FK8 only.

Common issues: Many AC issues with owners of this gen Civic. Honda extended the warranty to 10 years for AC condenser. (My 17 hasn't had an issue.) Rocks get stuck in the front brake caliper and its an awful screeching sound (like nails on a chalkboard). Many have had infotainment issues with it failing or freezing. Hopefully it happens while under warranty. My 3 year warranty is up Oct 2021 (Mine had an in service date Oct 2018 because a Honda dealer owner bought one and let it sit in the showroom unregistered).
Last edited by touringteg on Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CW ITR 01-1233 CDM Sold
CW ITR 98-0635 CDM
CW CTR 17-01818 CDM

ph8ed4life

Post by ph8ed4life » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:59 am

LoooseR wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:16 pm I sold my 98 ITR for one and I couldn’t be happier.
Wow, this shocked me to read. What was your mileage when you sold? I know we talked a good bit over the years, glad to see you’re still in an R :thumbup:

What color do you have?

LoooseR

Post by LoooseR » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:36 am

ph8ed4life wrote:
Wow, this shocked me to read. What was your mileage when you sold? I know we talked a good bit over the years, glad to see you’re still in an R :thumbup:

What color do you have?
Mileage on my ITR was 187k.

I told myself I wouldn’t sell unless I could get a certain number, so I set the number at what I was willing to walk away from it for. I got it, the problem is I was never driving it.

23 year old ac in AZ is not useful in summer, it had a roll bar and I’m a single parent now, so driving it around with my kids wasn’t practical. Plus…it’s AZ, there is no driving it around unless it’s to specific places.

I found a 2019 SGP and I love it, constant compliments on the color…and my kiddo loves itImage
98-0811

touringteg

Post by touringteg » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:59 am

I have a 98 ITR as well but I am not driving it very often since getting the FK8. It is that good and far more comfortable. Great AC, stereo and seats.

I have to agree on the comments on the 18s. I now have 18s for track and 18s for winter. It rides so much better and you don't have to worry about damaging the stock wheels. I have 255/35/20 Michelin 4S on stock rims so that provides some added comfort at the expense of slower acceleration.

My kids also enjoy the FK8 and don't care much for the ITR.

It does draw attention from people wanting to race but you can always ignore them.
CW ITR 01-1233 CDM Sold
CW ITR 98-0635 CDM
CW CTR 17-01818 CDM

voiddweller

Post by voiddweller » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:10 pm

I sold my '17 CTR in '19. It was overkill for DD but fun. The hatch was very practical and back seat passengers had some room. It turned a lot of heads in my area, which was Pittsburgh,PA and Jackson, MS.

For DD on anything but smooth roads, I agree 18's are the way to go. On the track, the 20's were great (and expensive,) so I never bothered downsizing. Every track I attended, the ECU pulled power when things got hot. If you're driving at 8/10 you'll never notice it. Above that, you definitely will and need aftermarket cooling.

What killed the car for me was an issue with Honda Corporate where they said I did something to the ECU that I didn't. After several rounds with the local DPSM, it was mostly resolved but they lost me as a customer. Several long time ITR owners on this forum know me personally and can vouch for the situation.

I ended up selling all my Honda/Acura products and Honda lost me as a customer. Regardless, the latest FK8 is a great car.

'19 ZLE, '12 MDX, '04 TSX MT,

touringteg

Post by touringteg » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:31 am

Wow that's a shame. Quite a few locals have had all kinds of items replaced or repaired under warranty without an issue.
The car is definitely not perfect and here are some items that I know of that are getting repaired on a regular basis with this generation. Once your warranty is up you are out of luck. The upside is parts are pretty cheap and available still.

Air conditioning (warranty extended 10 years for all 10th gen owners)
Valve cover gasket
Oil pan gasket
Side mirrors loose
Worn driver seat and door panel (Just had my driver seat and door panel replaced)
Fuel pump (recall)
Front and rear emblems failing

As a do everything car it's great. Not as track focused as the ITR but certainly more usable as a daily.
CW ITR 01-1233 CDM Sold
CW ITR 98-0635 CDM
CW CTR 17-01818 CDM