What happened to the old forums?

Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR/CTR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:23 am

From my FB post awhile ago:
Forums Update:
We have been asked "What happened to the ITRCA forums?" a lot lately. I want to be clear on what happened and what we're doing.
The server setup that housed zeroforum sites (itrca and nwp4life for example) was taken offline, without warning. This is separate from the itrexpo page itself.
We've been working with the parties to retrieve our data and rebuild/convert it to a new forum. We had been asking for a database backup for years since zeroforum does not have that capability built-in for this EXACT scenario. We had tried to move away from the required host without success years ago as well.
We are still waiting for our data...
I have not heard anything since mid-June, when we were told that the data would be accessible soon.
At this time, we're building a new site and new forum -- onwards and upwards! The new site is www.typerclub.org.
If we ever get our data, we'll import it as an archive. If we never get our data, we do have all of the itrca data up until the zeroforum conversion a few years ago and load that archive as well. Likewise, the old ITRCA site will be up there as an archive as well -- plus more!
It's been frustrating for everyone, including myself.
We're working on the new site and hope to have it up shortly, especially before Expo.
Thank you for understanding. If you're good with old phpbb mysql datasets, PM me. :)
So, here we are with a new forum setup.

Yes, we're starting over. We were left with no choice and wanted to get something online before Expo in a few weeks. We'll do our best to get the old data backfilled or setup as an archive.

The people implicated in this situation are Dustin (behind honda-tech.com and the original zeroforum software) and David, owner of Skunk2. The servers were housed under a company that David owned, and Dustin had access/support during his situation with the h-t fallout. Dustin housed all zeroforum sites on this server setup in the SF area.

We asked for backups of the MySQL database for years before the old forums went abruptly offline.

At one point, we had a another server setup thanks to one of our members (Steve), and Dustin had mostly completed setup on that. Then one day, he stopped, and we were stuck.

At this moment, we are still waiting on our old data. In fact, I'm still waiting to hear back since it has been months without any response. It's quite unprofessional, but we are doing our absolute best and have been incredibly patient.

UPDATE:
Thanks to the great work by Jeff S, our old phpbb board is back online. This includes all data from the beginning of ITRCA through Jan 2011. Given that the data is old but still useful, we're going to share it publicly in a read-only format.

At some point, we might merge the two, but that is not an easy process.

For now, our old ITRCA forums, pre-zeroforum migration in Jan 2011, can be viewed here in read-only mode. We might merge the data into here someday.

www.itrca.com/forums

However, we are still trying to get a response from Dustin (zeroforum) and David Hsu (skunk2 owner) for our old data.
:hammer:

Sp00nFedFilms

Re: What happened to the old forums?

Post by Sp00nFedFilms » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:20 am

Everyone's hard work is greatly appreciated here. With Facebook and other social media platforms seeming to take over, it feels good to see the OG's continuing to bring us the older guys the good ole' message boards.

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:53 am

Sp00nFedFilms wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:20 am Everyone's hard work is greatly appreciated here. With Facebook and other social media platforms seeming to take over, it feels good to see the OG's continuing to bring us the older guys the good ole' message boards.
I agree and have issues with the social media platforms:
-Impossible to search/reference content
-We don't own the content (we = the community)
-If you avoid social media = no way to learn/interact via the community

PS - Get off my lawn, I'm not that old :P
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

aw614

Post by aw614 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Same issues I have with social media, hate that all tech discussions are impossible find.

Photobucket killing years of DIY photos from many of the hobbies I have didnt help either :|
-Andrew Wong

sackdz
Badge Number: 97-124

Post by sackdz » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:35 pm

Checking in since 99 from the Tapatalk app.. demonstrating that I am old but still hip :drink:

I am living abroad and thus will unfortunately not be at Expo this year, however I am hoping one of my cars will make an appearance !
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg (225.01 KiB) Viewed 119601 times
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg (225.01 KiB) Viewed 119601 times
Attachments
IMG_5818.jpg
IMG_5818.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 119601 times
97 ITR #124
96 ITR (DB8)

coolhandluke
Badge Number: 98-1040

Post by coolhandluke » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:40 pm

sackdz wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:35 pm Checking in since 99 from the Tapatalk app.. demonstrating that I am old but still hip :drink:

I am living abroad and thus will unfortunately not be at Expo this year, however I am hoping one of my cars will make an appearance !
How can I help? :mrgreen:
Type-R Expo
Current: 98-1040 Stolen 12/22/21
Previous: 98-0197, 01-0187, 98-0731, 97 #00171

sackdz

Post by sackdz » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:25 pm

coolhandluke wrote:
sackdz wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:35 pm Checking in since 99 from the Tapatalk app.. demonstrating that I am old but still hip :drink:

did this get posted in the wrong thread? lol
I didn't come in this one at all!
97 ITR #124
96 ITR (DB8)

jayhaire
Site Admin
Badge Number: 97 #00151

Post by jayhaire » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:22 pm

sackdz wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:25 pm
coolhandluke wrote:

LOL, was it supposed to be its own thread? If so, I might be able to fix that for you.
:hammer:

sackdz

Post by sackdz » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:12 am

jayhaire wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:22 pm
sackdz wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:25 pm
coolhandluke wrote:
LOL, was it supposed to be its own thread? If so, I might be able to fix that for you.
No! I had posted as a reply to Comp97’s “OG check in” thread. It appears there but also here. Also the photos were getting doubled in this Tapatalk app, I had to fix on the web version.

oh well
97 ITR #124
96 ITR (DB8)